Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get our first look at the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as there are Tesla Naysayers, I have taken the role of Traditional Automobile Manufacturers Naysayer, in regard to the notion of their actually bringing viable, long range, fully electric, performance cars to the market at affordable prices, if indeed at all. It isn't that they can't do it. I firmly believe that they won't.

I know that GM showed one car in September 2014 that they called 'BOLT' and that they showed something entirely different in January 2015 that was called 'BOLT'.

I know that the Cadillac ELR did not reach the market until five years after the Cadillac Converj concept was first unveiled.

I know that the Pontiac Banshee was never built, but that a few pieces of plastic bodywork were added to the Firebird around five years later.

I know that GM created multiple alternative drivetrains for their EV1 program and that only one of those was fully electric.

I know that traditional automobile manufacturers in general, and GM in particular, tend to be very slow about bringing concepts to market. GM has never brought a car from concept to market in less than three years. Not once. There is no reason to expect a fully electric BOLT will arrive in less than two calendar years -- January 2015 to October 2016.

I know that GM showed one car in September 2014 that they called 'BOLT' and that they showed something entirely different in January 2015 that was called 'BOLT'.
The Bolt I know about is the one from NAIAS. What is the September one ? The NAIAS one is the same as the one they showed at the focus group, from where the news was leaked but then deleted in insideevs.

I know that traditional automobile manufacturers in general, and GM in particular, tend to be very slow about bringing concepts to market. GM has never brought a car from concept to market in less than three years. Not once. There is no reason to expect a fully electric BOLT will arrive in less than two calendar years -- January 2015 to October 2016.
I don't go by what GM says - but by what grape vain says. Ofcourse GM has been talking about a long range EV for a couple of years now. No need to assume until they showed the concept they haven't worked on the car. Various industry comments say the Bolt is a lot more ready than just a tradeshow concept.

In any case it is hyprocritical to site GM timing problems of the past and ignore well known Tesla problems.

Anyway, we are going OT, I'll stop with this.

They didn't show a "Bolt" in September. Somebody edited a photo of the Chevrolet Tru 140S concept.

1_Chevrolet_Tru_140S_concept_--_2012_DC_3.JPG

They didn't show a "Bolt" in September. Somebody edited a photo of the Chevrolet Tru 140S concept.

View attachment 82758
Gotcha. It was one heck of a Photoshop job then... Because it used the same BOLT logo and lighting bolt icon... Both on the vehicle and surrounding displays. I do wish that articles that include such images would be more forthcoming about what is an edit, and what is an actual concept car...

Personally I think the model 3 won't be in owners hands until 2018. Just based on how the X timeline has played out.
Wrong reasoning.
Model 3 may be late, but it won't be late for the same reasons X was late.
Model 3 has a whole different role and meaning for the company and future. Model X is/was a side-kick. Just becase they could and had resources to do it while they were ramping up Model S and solving the problems that poped up. Model X was there for people to work on something while they wait on their next urgent Model S problem to fix.

Model X will have its own production ramping problems but because it will share so many things with Model S those problems will be rarer and smaller. And people (engineers et. al.) will have more time to focus on Model 3. The roles may even turn - the focus now being on Model 3 and any Model S/X problems may have to wait for some hands to become idle.

Model 3 will be delayed if battery price does not fall low enough. That is a single highest risk factor.

The Model 3 will be late. However, I do appreciate that tardiness Tesla has gotten used to. The product will only be better, so I will enjoy it more when I'll get my hand on it.

The Model S was Tesla's first foray into a mass production car. No surprise it was late. The Model X is a vehicle that is suffering severe feature creep as Elon keeps his promise of recipients not being disappointed in the final product.

But Elon's also indicated that the Model 3 will not suffer feature creep throughout the design and build process. I'm convinced the base model will be on time, but I also think that the version Tesla lovers really want will be months later. But you can't call it late when it's just another (better) version.

The Model S was Tesla's first foray into a mass production car. No surprise it was late. The Model X is a vehicle that is suffering severe feature creep as Elon keeps his promise of recipients not being disappointed in the final product. Q
Elon's drive to make every Tesla model better also caused delays in the launch date of the Roadster and the S, but they were worth the wait. I'm sure he's effecting the X launch in the same way. It will be worth the wait.

With the Model 3 I believe he realizes that the long term success of Tesla depends on the 3 not being excessively delayed (and I understand his compensation package also depends on the 3 meeting certain timeframes) so my bet is on the 3 launching in 2017 and not later.

I'm optimistic that the model 3 will be released in 2017.

The reason the model X may not have been released is that Tesla was production constrained. There's no reason to release the X if it doesn't add to total unit sales. So they did AWD, and the P85D. Now they have the proper AWD chassis for an SUV.

A thousand cars a week is not much for a car company. But a thousand cars a week is a big effort for a company that was essentially hand building cars five years ago. Going from Roadster to today is probably a lot harder than going from today to 5000 cars a week.

For those of you waiting on the Model 3, would you be disappointed if the Model 3 looked like a Mazda 6?

I think it will look like the mazda 6/ BMW 3 series. While the Bolt is interesting, it is yet another weirdmobile EV. Tesla can't do that and sell a lot of cars, IMO. It needs to be more of a classic sport sedan appropriate for 2017. While that choice is not daring, the look doesn't need to stand out.

I think it is important that the dash is more integrated and cockpit like than the current model S. The "we stuck a LCD display in there!" look of the current model S may look old in 2017.

The electric drive and the cockpit/software are the "wow" differentiators. The Model 3's exterior just needs to be competent, IMO.

I assume the model X has a v2 dash. I assume the model S will get a v2 dash. I hope the model X starts with a v2 dash, if that works financially.

If by 'cockpit' you mean wrapped in a cocoon, surrounded on all sides, with a longitudinal dividing barrier wall between front seat passengers, and no room for sneakers that are sized beyond men's US 10 in the foot well -- then I certainly hope not.

I think it will look like the mazda 6/ BMW 3 series.

Kinda agree, but I believe the either of the current BMW's 4 door sedans being the 3 Series or the 4 Series Gran Coupe (better looking) will be more appropriate than the Mazda 6 coupe'.
There probably is a real need to have adequate/appropriate headroom for rear seat passengers for a mid-priced car ($35K).

The sleek slope of the rear roof line of the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe could be trimmed and hemmed to be a nice aerodynamic mid-size 5-door sedan.
Now that would be a nice complement to the Model S and Tesla line.

If by 'cockpit' you mean wrapped in a cocoon, surrounded on all sides, with a longitudinal dividing barrier wall between front seat passengers, and no room for sneakers that are sized beyond men's US 10 in the foot well -- then I certainly hope not.

No, I think the instrument cluster and the touchscreen are a bit dated. I don't like the air vent in between. If there is not going to be a HUD, I would like the cluster to be a bit bigger.

Thinking about it, a nicely configurable HUD with navigation would probably be my first choice. The HUD I've seen doesn't display full navigation, just a route line so that turns are obvious.
It would be interesting for the HUD to point out vehicles and people the radar sees at night and in bad weather.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda agree, but I believe the either of the current BMW's 4 door sedans being the 3 Series or the 4 Series Gran Coupe (better looking) will be more appropriate than the Mazda 6 coupe'.
There probably is a real need to have adequate/appropriate headroom for rear seat passengers for a mid-priced car ($35K).

The sleek slope of the rear roof line of the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe could be trimmed and hemmed to be a nice aerodynamic mid-size 5-door sedan.
Now that would be a nice complement to the Model S and Tesla line.

The point of a coupe is a cramped rear seat for exterior aesthetics.

No, I think the instrument cluster and the touchscreen are a bit dated.

Wait... What?!? Dated when? 2199? It's the most advanced, configurable, informative instrument cluster on the automotive market!

Thinking about it, a nicely configurable HUD with navigation would probably be my first choice.

Then why not just say you want a HUD? I believe that like other technologies that Tesla Motors has been criticized for not having 'like everyone else', the company's engineers don't want to implement a HUD unless it serves an actual purpose and is demonstrably better than any other.

The point of a coupe is a cramped rear seat for exterior aesthetics.

No. That's the point of 2+2 coupes... Or any other motor vehicles designed for a family of four where no one stands over 4'-8"... Or people who have a desperate need to transport multiple double amputees.

A proper coupé can transport four people who stand around 6'-2" in reasonable comfort. And it doesn't have a B-pillar. Or framed windows on the doors. But no one has built one since, like, 1978 or something. That's why I would love to see a Tesla coupé with falcon wing doors. Whether Model S or Model ≡, I'd buy it!

I hope we get the chance to see what it will look like in March and Tesla doesn't push that back. Do you guys think we will be able to preorder the car then or wait until 2017 sometime?

I'm not that knowledgeable about the timeline of these things, but the Model 3 is already in the full-scale clay model stage. So, I imagine barring some massive redesign of the vehicle, they should have no problem with the March reveal.

No idea about the time-frame of things after that.