Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will self parking and self driving features appear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your car see the curb as you were pulling up to it? If it didn't, I don't expect a stop warning to come up. My car doesn't do it 100% of the time (I park in the same places all the time, so I'd expect consistency), but I'd say a good 90% of the time it sees the curb and counts down to it, then disappears and maybe 60% of the time I get a "STOP" message.

Which to me implies it's a software problem, not hardware. Software can be released with an OTA update once they get the silly autopilot problem done with.

I didn't post in that thread, as I didn't have my car yet. But I did post in another thread, where someone said his car does the EXACT same thing mine does about a month ago.

If the obstacle is tall enough the car always recognizes it, warns me and if I keep going gives the Stop warning. Even when approaches bushes.

But with low objects it only works part of the time. So in cases like that I either move very slowly or, better yet, back in where I can use the camera to see behind me. I wish there was a similar camera in the front (and on both sides too for that matter).

Last edited:
While I'm looking forward to v7 I'm wondering how the auto-park feature will handle low curbs and parking blocks.

More than a few times when pulling into parking spaces the front of the car has run into curbs and blocks because none of the sensors are pointed down far enough to detect them.
I experience the same deficiency in detecting low curb by simulating it with two pieces of 2 x 4 wood stud stack on top of each other. The front bumper will topple the top piece of wood stud without the display yelling stop. I did 3 tries, and all failed. If the low curb detection is not perfect, then it cannot be trusted for self parking into parking stall. I have been speculating that Tesla needs side cameras with 180 deg view mounted on the side mirrors for self parking to work properly.

- - - Updated - - -

The bolded is inaccurate.

My car easily detects parking blocks, counts down the distance to them (while it can see them), then they disappear, and as I roll closer to it I get a "STOP" from the car. It may not "see" it anymore with it's sensors, but it's simple geometry to figure out how far you were from it when it stopped seeing and how far you rolled forward/backwards.
How high is the parking blocks you encountered. Some concrete parking stopper could be only 6" tall but enough to scratch the bottom of your bumper. I experimented with two pieces of 2 x 4 wood studs stack on top of each other. My bumper consistently topple the top wood stub without the display yelling stop.

I experience the same deficiency in detecting low curb by simulating it with two pieces of 2 x 4 wood stud stack on top of each other. The front bumper will topple the top piece of wood stud without the display yelling stop. I did 3 tries, and all failed. If the low curb detection is not perfect, then it cannot be trusted for self parking into parking stall. I have been speculating that Tesla needs side cameras with 180 deg view mounted on the side mirrors for self parking to work properly.

- - - Updated - - -

How high is the parking blocks you encountered. Some concrete parking stopper could be only 6" tall but enough to scratch the bottom of your bumper. I experimented with two pieces of 2 x 4 wood studs stack on top of each other. My bumper consistently topple the top wood stub without the display yelling stop.

I'd guess 4-5".