Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are auto extending door handles coming (or not)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the 'rumor' part came in due to the thread title, implying that there was information that Tesla was 'giving up' on this feature. That's what you're seeing the reaction to.

But now that you've clarified that you're only confirming they wouldn't be available at launch, maybe we should change the thread title so as to not unnecessarily get people believing differently.

I do not misquote, mislead or start false rumors. I would appreciate if people do not attempt to put words in my mouth or accuse me of saying something I did not.

Your good intentions are appreciated. The nervous anticipation of deliveries seems to have made TMC something of a tinderbox lately and any accidental spark can light things up.

But now that you've clarified that you're only confirming they wouldn't be available at launch, maybe we should change the thread title so as to not unnecessarily get people believing differently.

Thanks B. I've had another go at re-doing the thread title (Hopefully for the last time).

Update from Tesla

Q:I recall reading on the feature list that with tech package the handles will automatically extend when the key fob is in proximity. It seems the wording had now changed on this. Is the plan still to eventually implement this feature in a future update?

You are correct, that was the plan. As it stands now, they will be unlocked, but you must touch the handle to initiate the presentation of the door handles. We would like to roll out the full feature of automatic presentation, but a time-line has not been established.

Last edited:
Update from Tesla

Q:I recall reading on the feature list that with tech package the handles will automatically extend when the key fob is in proximity. It seems the wording had now changed on this. Is the plan still to eventually implement this feature in a future update?

You are correct, that was the plan. As it stands now, they will be unlocked, but you must touch the handle to initiate the presentation of the door handles. We would like to roll out the full feature of automatic presentation, but a time-line has not been established.

Bummer.

That was a really cool option. Hopefully some time soon. Until then, I'll have to suffer the ennui of merely having to touch the handles to have them extend. <sigh>

Touching the handle to extend is so September 2012. I would like the automatic option too. Hopefully they can make it happen. Sounds like it is not physically impossible but just a matter of software.

Despite needing the additional gesture of touching, I think I'm warming up to the current state of affairs with the door handles. It's still simple enough to operate them that way and and doesn't look gimmicky. Yes, I am getting the tech package so not arguing for the sake of it.

It could be quite complex to figure out when to auto-extend the handles and retract them too; there are parameters such as how far the key fob might be, is the fob carrier simply lingering around the car (in which case they can retract after a minute) or does s/he actually want to enter the car (in which case they ideally ought to stay extended; otherwise, touching would be necessary again) and such.

I'd also rather not overwork the door handle servos/motors and instead, make the handles extend only when I really need them to...by explicitly touching.

I am getting bummed out by all the niffty features of the car that are being deleted. It does not matter to me that the features may be added in the future. I have been burned too many times by manufactures that made promises regarding features, then deleted the features saying they will come as a software update, to never happen. As far as I am concerned, my decision whether to get the car (I'm P258 and deferred to March 2013 because of, among other things, such omissions) will be based on the feature set at that time, and not what may be added in the future.

I am getting bummed out by all the niffty features of the car that are being deleted. It does not matter to me that the features may be added in the future. I have been burned too many times by manufactures that made promises regarding features, then deleted the features saying they will come as a software update, to never happen. As far as I am concerned, my decision whether to get the car (I'm P258 and deferred to March 2013 because of, among other things, such omissions) will be based on the feature set at that time, and not what may be added in the future.

I was seriously considering deferring as well. I signed my MVPA a couple of days ago, and I feel good about it. The fact that software updates and tweaks and improvements can be done via software update is very reassuring to me. I have faith that Tesla won't give up on the cool, techie features that drew a lot of us to the car in the first place. It's a new paradigm that I'll have to get used to - a car that has software upgrades just like my iPad. I would still prefer it if these issues were already resolved, or some kind of road map for the future, even if they are soft goals that the company doesn't guarantee.

EM, good luck with your faith. I hope they follow thru with their intentions. However, as I said, I have been burnt too many times by companies saying trust me, the feature will be added and it never was. Thus, my final decision will be based on what features are currently available, not on what features are promised to be added. I am working on the assumption that such features will never be added, and will be pleasantly surprised if they do get added.

EM, good luck with your faith. I hope they follow thru with their intentions. However, as I said, I have been burnt too many times by companies saying trust me, the feature will be added and it never was. Thus, my final decision will be based on what features are currently available, not on what features are promised to be added. I am working on the assumption that such features will never be added, and will be pleasantly surprised if they do get added.

That's the safe way to approach it but while it would be cool, having to touch the handle isn't a big deal. You can still keep the keyfob in your pocket which is great.

That's the safe way to approach it but while it would be cool, having to touch the handle isn't a big deal. You can still keep the keyfob in your pocket which is great.

As long as you can keep the fob in your pocket, there's no issue for me. If I had to take the fob out, I'd not be pleased.

- - - Updated - - -

Right. You always purchase technical items for what they can do at the time you purchase them. Not for what they might do later or what you think they should do.

I was seriously considering deferring as well. I signed my MVPA a couple of days ago, and I feel good about it. The fact that software updates and tweaks and improvements can be done via software update is very reassuring to me. I have faith that Tesla won't give up on the cool, techie features that drew a lot of us to the car in the first place. It's a new paradigm that I'll have to get used to - a car that has software upgrades just like my iPad. I would still prefer it if these issues were already resolved, or some kind of road map for the future, even if they are soft goals that the company doesn't guarantee.

Yup, unless they start taking features away like my missing google maps and YouTube!

Loss of auto extending hanbdles is a big disappointment to me. I am spoiled by my Prius and Lexus. As long as I have the key fob on my body, all I have to do is pull the door handle and the door opens. One action. The model S now needs two actions; touch handle and wait for it to extend, and the second action of pulling on the handle to open the door. Not the end of the world, but a step backward from the ease of operation of the Prius, Lexus and Infinity I previously owned. I am hesitant to buy a car (let along a luxury or premium car) that does not offer this feature, and my wife has made it clear she will never buy another car that does not offer the cenvenience of the Lexus, Prius and infinity. In fact, she is pushing me to replace the fancy Baldwin locks on the house with locks that operate similar to the cars, so she never needs to use a key to get into the house.

I would normally agree with you, but while Tesla is not perfect, I have heard many Tesla owners who are happy with the upgrades provided on the Roadster. So there is a bit of precedence here.