Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cooler temperatures do impact range in a negative way, but it goes back up in warmer months. Do not be alarmed if your range decreases as it gets colder. To be honest, I would just drive the car and enjoy it. You have an 8 year warranty, and Tesla has always been good to take care of customers. They had to replace my main battery pack as there was a defect in one of the cell blocks, but it was no problem. As I said, I have a "standard" 85, and 2 1/2 years in now with 27,xxx miles I am charging from 232 - 235 miles for a 90% charge.

Hopefully someone will read this and provide an answer. There are so many threads about range I don't know where to start.
I have driven my P85D for about 6 weeks now. I drive 53.5 miles each way to and from work so I already have 3500 miles on it. I have the Tesla wall charger 240/40 and at 90%, it's always 225-227 rated range when I get in the car in the morning. It's been in insane mode since day one until today when I shifted to sport mode. I take the same route to work. For about the first 4 weeks I'd always be a 172-174 rated range when I'd arrive at work. It's almost all highway driving but there is a lot of road construction on the route. The last three days my rated range upon arriving at the office is in the very low 160s (161 this morning after starting at 227).

It's getting colder out but not cold enough that I set the temperature above 66 on the driver's side. Is this 10 mile swing for a 54 mile trip common? Thanks.

What's ambient? Is heater running? Do you precondition your car?

Hopefully someone will read this and provide an answer. There are so many threads about range I don't know where to start.
I have driven my P85D for about 6 weeks now. I drive 53.5 miles each way to and from work so I already have 3500 miles on it. I have the Tesla wall charger 240/40 and at 90%, it's always 225-227 rated range when I get in the car in the morning. It's been in insane mode since day one until today when I shifted to sport mode. I take the same route to work. For about the first 4 weeks I'd always be a 172-174 rated range when I'd arrive at work. It's almost all highway driving but there is a lot of road construction on the route. The last three days my rated range upon arriving at the office is in the very low 160s (161 this morning after starting at 227).

It's getting colder out but not cold enough that I set the temperature above 66 on the driver's side. Is this 10 mile swing for a 54 mile trip common? Thanks.

Sounds normal to me.....if the heater is kicking on when u start driving off from your house then it is using more energy since the battery isn't warm, so that is part of the extra range. Once it starts to get colder you will use up more range.

Is your range mode turned on?

Figure anywhere from 25-50% or more range loss during winter conditions. If you use a roof rack for ski season that eats up a lot of range I would say 15-20%. I learned the hard way. I calculate 50%-60% more during the winter time.

21,000 miles and a year on the clock for my P85.

Today I accidentally did a range charge. I realized it when I got in the car to go to work, and the car was still charging at 5+ amps & 240V. 260 rated miles were showing, but I drove 5 miles in the rain with air conditioning on (averaging about 320 kWh/mi) before it started ticking down.

So adding 5 or so miles to the 260, and considering the car wasn't even done charging, it looks like I'm still at 265-266 rated miles. So by that indication, virtually no degredation.

- - - Updated - - -

So what is an acceptable 90% for a P85 cause I seem to be at the low end at 219?

That's low, but probably not real degredation. What are you charging to daily (let me guess....less than 90%?), and how often do you range charge? My P85 charges to 235mi typically. I charge to 90% virtually every night.

So what is an acceptable 90% for a P85 cause I seem to be at the low end at 219?
What's your VIN (in order to tell how old the car is?)
Has your main back ever been replaced?
How often do you charge to less than 90%, because that can cause the pack to go out of balance?
When's the last time you drive it down to less than 10% on the battery and charged back to either 90 or 100% so the software can calibrate?

For the record, I normally charge to 90% whenever I charge. I have 37k miles and my VIN is 11k. My 90% is 221-222 rated.

Why all this talk about rated/typical range? The right way of showing an actual loss of range or degredation of the battery pack would be to check how many kwh it is possible to charge the battery pack with.

Not sure if this is directly related to this comment, but yesterday I did a road trip where I supercharged on the way out and the way back. I drove from home to the Supercharger and charged to 90%. Later that day, I returned to the same Supercharger and again charged to 90%. My car said I had driven 139.5 miles and consumed 42.3 kWh, but my Charging display showed I had put 46 kWh back in to the car during that second charge. Why the discrepancy? It wasn't like the car was parked overnight or anything.

2014 P85D with 14k mi. 90% has been at 221 for awhile.

My 90% just went back up to 221 Rated (250 Ideal) at the above mentioned Supercharger stop. I had been around 217 last time I checked. I have a March 2013 S85 with just under 60,000 miles.

My 90% just went back up to 221 Rated (250 Ideal) at the above mentioned Supercharger stop. I had been around 217 last time I checked. I have a March 2013 S85 with just under 60,000 miles.

I've also recently seen the largest ever day to day variation in my 90% (from 225 up to 230 miles) after a couple SuperCharger visits and deep discharge cycles. Not sure how long the 5 mile "bump" will last on my S85 (38K miles), but it does show SoC estimates/calibration is a tricky game...

I havent read thru this whole thread, but wondering what the conclusion is putting all these data points together. What's the base case assumption for decay of battery over time? I.e., can we say with any certainty that Tesla batteries will likely decay 10% over 100k miles?

Try pulling the BMS fuse.

This will reset the range estimate?

Yeah I believe it did when I tried it. I would leave it out for ~5 min and then reinsert. Might need to pull touchscreen fuse as well can't remember.

I pulled both BMS and touch-screen fuses for 20 minutes. No impact on range estimate. I contacted service and they confirmed that doing this will not impact the range estimate. I know there is a trick the service centers use to "reset" the battery, but I'll assume that the process requires access to the hidden service screens/menus. One of the techs told me they "reset the battery" on their loaners when I asked why their loaners do not appear to have any range loss.