Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not believe that those two factors have any influence on the rated range value.

I agree with you on the style of driving but not on temp. My data does show variation of rated range correlated with temperature - both up and down. Please look at the graphs on the thread I posted earlier.

Data comes from Tesla's API over roughly 2 years and over 10,000 points of data at 90% SOC, 35,000 temp samples.

Also note that the API has the car's estimated rated range to 2 decimal points as well, so I can even see the smaller fluctuations.

I agree with you on the style of driving but not on temp. My data does show variation of rated range correlated with temperature - both up and down. Please look at the graphs on the thread I posted earlier.

Data comes from Tesla's API over roughly 2 years and over 10,000 points of data at 90% SOC, 35,000 temp samples.

Also note that the API has the car's estimated rated range to 2 decimal points as well, so I can even see the smaller fluctuations.

FlasherZ - take a look at posts #322 through #327 in the thread 90D Range slowly declining

Tesla seems to be saying the rated range calculation can't be relied on and they are making firmware changes to correct this. Most of us lost significant range (about 10 miles or 1 mile per week) during the hot summer months. They state "Currently some State of Charge terminations in the middle region of the battery level may cause some range calculations that are less accurate than others but these will be fixed with upcoming over the air firmware for all vehicles". What are your thoughts on that and how reliable rated range is in general?

FlasherZ - take a look at posts #322 through #327 in the thread 90D Range slowly declining

Tesla seems to be saying the rated range calculation can't be relied on and they are making firmware changes to correct this. Most of us lost significant range (about 10 miles or 1 mile per week) during the hot summer months. They state "Currently some State of Charge terminations in the middle region of the battery level may cause some range calculations that are less accurate than others but these will be fixed with upcoming over the air firmware for all vehicles". What are your thoughts on that and how reliable rated range is in general?

I saw those. No doubt Tesla is changing the algorithm occasionally -they told us about this in 5.x. That said, I doubt Tesla has been modifying the algorithm to decrease and increase it in correlation with temperature in St. Louis. :)

Rated range is fairly reliable for me. I'm currently in Florida after a 1,000+ mile drive over the past couple of days. My range reduction was consistent with what was displayed, taking into account the Wh/mile that I was getting in the rain (e.g., 360 Wh/mile is 120 percent reduction from rated miles for each real mile). I plugged in at two Superchargers with only 15 miles remaining, so I am not suffering from overly optimistic battery range in the car. In fact, I was still confidently driving 70 despite the car warning me to drive below 40 to make my destination.

If that proves to hold steady, then the only variables that can change over time is the efficiency of the car. In my case, after 70k miles, my efficiency has seemingly gotten better (2015 average since July is 308, past years has been 320+). That could be offset by software and performance changes.

I saw those. No doubt Tesla is changing the algorithm occasionally -they told us about this in 5.x. That said, I doubt Tesla has been modifying the algorithm to decrease and increase it in correlation with temperature in St. Louis. :)

Rated range is fairly reliable for me. I'm currently in Florida after a 1,000+ mile drive over the past couple of days. My range reduction was consistent with what was displayed, taking into account the Wh/mile that I was getting in the rain (e.g., 360 Wh/mile is 120 percent reduction from rated miles for each real mile). I plugged in at two Superchargers with only 15 miles remaining, so I am not suffering from overly optimistic battery range in the car. In fact, I was still confidently driving 70 despite the car warning me to drive below 40 to make my destination.

If that proves to hold steady, then the only variables that can change over time is the efficiency of the car. In my case, after 70k miles, my efficiency has seemingly gotten better (2015 average since July is 308, past years has been 320+). That could be offset by software and performance changes.

That's amazing range for you! What do the terms SOC "terminations" and "middle range" of the battery mean?

It's coming from the service center advisors. Mine said the same thing - the rated range figure changes based upon driving style. I have already proven that wrong because for one week I drove very efficiently (under 290 Wh/mi) and my rated range did not increase one bit.
Mine would be far higher if average Wh/mi was taken into account. This is similar to when I drove the Prius. Many dealer personal said that the transmission (PSD in a Prius) varied depending on driving style, but there was zero documentation about it. Some cars do have this, but it's always documented since it's a sales feature. Service personnel are often not the best source of information, and it's not limited to Tesla.

Mine would be far higher if average Wh/mi was taken into account. This is similar to when I drove the Prius. Many dealer personal said that the transmission (PSD in a Prius) varied depending on driving style, but there was zero documentation about it. Some cars do have this, but it's always documented since it's a sales feature. Service personnel are often not the best source of information, and it's not limited to Tesla.

Last week I drove very efficiently, around 270-280 Wh/mi for two trips. I LOST 2 miles of rated range!

6 month old 70D with about 15k miles. RR@90% started in the 214-218 range and settled at 214 within the first few weeks. Then it quickly started dropping... 213... 212... ..... 207.

Recently charged to 97% and brought it down to 3% on a trip, and coupled with the warmer weather my 90% is back to 212 miles. And even that I think might be a calibration issue, on the trip home going to do another 100%-almost 0% charge

Well that didn't last long, back to 208 today.

Only posting again because of an uptick which may just be random, Being forced to charge @ 110 for the last couple days and next week likely bumped my 90% up today when charging completed from 245 to 246. I've seen people here mention the slower charge can help get some extra juice into some cells and really you can get the same effect charging @ 240 and limiting the amps to 5. Still only logged 900 miles so far but will comment again here later after some significant mileage gets racked up or I see wild swings in the numbers.

IMG_7468.JPG

My delivery date was December 2013 S85 - Total miles 39,459 my 90% is 228 RM with an total of 13,941 kWh. Average energy for total mileage is at 353 Wh/mile. 984Wh/mi for the first 1/10 of a mile with 19F temperature this morning! ( at .2 miles it had dropped to 366 Wh/mile.) My A is since my last tire rotation. B is my total miles driven.

90D with 2,600 miles 90% charge at 257. When new was 256. Had been dropping slowly over six weeks to 251 but went back up the past week. No updates. No significant temperature changes. The ONLY thing I did differently was last week I charged up to 95% one time only.

90D with 2,600 miles 90% charge at 257. When new was 256. Had been dropping slowly over six weeks to 251 but went back up the past week. No updates. No significant temperature changes. The ONLY thing I did differently was last week I charged up to 95% one time only.

You are lucky. Every time I've charged above 90% the range dropped further.

The low point after my recent road trip was 243. The next day recovered a bit and I'm now at 245. It has 4967 miles and rate of loss has not shown any signs of slowing yet. I really hope it's just a software issue and Tesla releases the update soon.

The low point after my recent road trip was 243. The next day recovered a bit and I'm now at 245. It has 4967 miles and rate of loss has not shown any signs of slowing yet. I really hope it's just a software issue and Tesla releases the update soon.

My 90% dropped from 257 to 253 within 2 months. I changed the dash board to battery % instead of rated milage. To me, the kwh/1% of battery makes more sense.
By recording the daily numbers to get value, for my 90D, the number varies based on the trip length and wh/mi (from 0.69 - 0.88 kwh/1% battery). It didn't drop at all, just got the highest 0.88 today.

You should report this during your next visit to the SvC so it's documented and confirm you're getting the same answer the rest of us 90D owners are getting. After all you paid an extra $3K for 6% more rated range but the numbers show you've lost most of that on a new car.

2013 P85
90% was 230 rated miles in February
90% 188 rated miles as of yesterday.

Tesla Service says it took a full charge yesterday of 215, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to the 257 I was getting in May.

Currently in the shop to have them look at the almost 20% reduction.
So far I haven't seen a single 70 log this low much less a 85. Anyone see any "properly functioning" battery with logs this low?

- - - Updated - - -

55k miles on the P85

- - - Updated - - -

55000 miles
Typical charge pattern.
26 - 60 miles charge at 12x110 during the day at work.
Once 50 miles left charge to 90% at home.

I bought the car with 41k miles on it in Feb and for the first 6 months it had an acceptable charge range of 230-220. After that the rapid drop off began.