Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the value of 360º bird's eye view?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally surprised at how many people love it and say it is a must have. It is a cool to have IMHO. It seems easier to judge distance by the tilted mirrors, sensors, and rearview camera to me faster/easier overall. That and I think I really only park in tight spots (usually would avoid them) or by curbed parallel spots a minimal amount of time overall. :-/

I have parked cars for 35 years without the need of a camera. I laughed at the idea of using a parking aid, until I watched my wife who once struggled at parking - park her BMW faster and better than I could do it. She pulled into a tight - end parking spot - next to a wall with a large evil curb specifically designed to scuff fancy wheels with incredible ease. I tried it the next time I drove her car. I can see how it save many unnecessary "discussions" about wheel scuffs. It is a future requirement in all her cars.

I had it on my big Infiniti SUV. It was really nice, but didn't wait to order my Tesla for it. It was great until it wasn't. It shows you the ground around you but that's it. One day while backing into a parking space I was bragging to my passenger how cool it was as we watched the display. Then the back hatch window shatters as I back into an extruding part of the garage that was not at parking sensor or camera level. It was comically bad timing. It works to show you if kids are running around the car but it doesn't show you everything even though you feel like you have a view from above the car.