Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's going on with my car's range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized I have the rated mile reading from when I arrived at work, and again when I departed, and I lost about 2 rated miles during that time. That would bring the unaccounted-for energy yesterday down to 18% from 30%. But with these small numbers, the error is very high. I need to take these measurements on a long drive.

Over the weekend, I took some measurements, broken up by trip. I didn't include any of the time the car was parked (though I haven't noticed any large losses while parked.) One difference was that I did a lot of freeway driving this weekend, whereas my weekday measurements were for 100% surface street driving. The other difference was that the weather was warmer (around 90 degrees), though it was never cold for any of my measurements. (This is San Diego!)

The discrepancy between rated miles and energy was only 0-10%, and for the longest trip, 29 miles, mostly freeway, I used 40 rated miles and the trip meter stated energy use of 11.4 kWh, for a discrepancy of only 1%.

All the numbers are in the wiki in the second post of this thread.

I'm not sure what this means. My driving was probably more efficient, but that shouldn't affect the discrepancy between rated miles and energy. Perhaps even at 60-70 degrees, there's a lot of energy going to warming the battery pack?

Anyone want to help by providing data from your cars? What I need is:

Car type (60, 85, 85D, P85, P84D, etc.)
Starting range (in rated miles)
Ending range (in rated miles)
Energy used for trip (per trip meter)
Notes about driving conditions (weather, freeway vs. surface streets)

Also, if you don't have a 60, I'll need to somehow determine how much energy is in a rated mile for your vehicle. I think the best way to determine this is the note the rated miles added during a charge, and then change the settings from miles to energy, and then note the equivalent energy added during the charge.