Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tire had a nail in it. The picture shows the plug installed.
Ahhh I gotcha. Looked like a piece of rusty metal!

In that case. I would trim off some of that excess plug and drive that thing until it’s time to replace the tires, provided you don’t go 170 mph. ;)

Others’ tolerance for risk clearly varies. I’ve driven on plugged tires in a model S for 10,000+ miles.

Ahhh I gotcha. Looked like a piece of rusty metal!

In that case. I would trim off some of that excess plug and drive that thing until it’s time to replace the tires, provided you don’t go 170 mph. ;)

Others’ tolerance for risk clearly varies. I’ve driven on plugged tires in a model S for 10,000+ miles.
I totally agree with you about plugging and rolling. I have a plugged (not as on the edge of this one) tire on my MYLR which tire shops refused to repair which has been fine for at least 10,000+ miles and sometimes doing 110mph for a few seconds.

Now I think this case is a bit different being on a 1020hp car. I'm sure I can get a few thousand more miles from this plugged tire if I always drive like the average person, but it is very difficult not to enjoy the power and speed this car has (obviously sometimes and in some places), so I guess I need to buy 2 new tires.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Now I think this case is a bit different being on a 1020hp car. I'm sure I can get a few thousand more miles from this plugged tire if I always drive like the average person, but it is very difficult not to enjoy the power and speed this car has (obviously sometimes and in some places), so I guess I need to buy 2 new tires.
Not only that, this is a tar plug. Those are a no-no to begin with - and why I was specifying any repair needs to be done properly with a mushroom plug.

The reason most places stopped using tar plugs except for short-term emergency use, is because the friction between the tire and road can pull the plug out just from driving normally.

1000000027.jpg
Unfortunately found this after leaving work a couple months ago, ended up using a similar plug. Doesn't appear to be as close to the sidewall as yours, but mines been holding up fine.
Would I go 150MPH on it? No.
Have I done 100+ since the plug? Absolutely. It just takes me a bit longer to get there than you (P100D).

I work at a shop that uses "hot plugs" and in the last 6 years I'm sure I've seen hundreds if not thousands of them used (yes, I prefer a patch plug but not always possible like in this situation) and have yet to hear of one being pulled out from the road. Not saying it's never happened, but never in my experience. Plenty of cars we see have used them 20K+ miles just fine. Although none them have near the power or cornering capabilities of a plaid.

New tire is the best option, but I would run it a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: tatoweb
I’ve had 5 or 6 run flats at 70 to 80 mph in my life. It destroys the tire but control has never been an issue. With TPMS, one should never have a run flat unless they ignore the displayed warnings.

Inconvenience is an issue, not safety.
Exactly.
If the tire stays intact, the real risk is rim damage, which is usually more expensive than a new tire, but not typically a safety hazard.
(Of course any situation can be dangerous based on the scenario of when/where it happens)
But if the tire shreds, however unlikely, then you have more collateral damage possible to the wheel well area or suspension components.

Reactions: tatoweb
no way I'd plug that tire -- too close to the edge.. Surprised any shop would. If your wife with kids in the car has a blow out while turning on a highway ramp doing 65, the liability is huge.

You are already near the wear bars. Winter is around the corner. (The grooves in teh tread channel water away and inhibit hydroplaning; less tread = less traction in wet weather. Replace in pairs at a minimum.

no way I'd plug that tire -- too close to the edge.. Surprised any shop would. If your wife with kids in the car has a blow out while turning on a highway ramp doing 65, the liability is huge.

You are already near the wear bars. Winter is around the corner. (The grooves in teh tread channel water away and inhibit hydroplaning; less tread = less traction in wet weather. Replace in pairs at a minimum.
Do we have blowouts still? I thought that was in the inter tube days.

Agree, I’ll run tires just getting to the wear bars in the dry season replacing them before the wet season.

I would drive tires on 4/32nd tread depth indefinitely however with the situation, I'd at least replace both rears with new tires. Might as well go all four corners to be honest if they're all 4/32nd to keep it even. If you can afford a 2022 Plaid, an extra $2k for new tires shouldn't be a big financial hurdle.