Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square 20" wheel setup for refresh Model S - what do I need to know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 20x10 square with 275/35 PS4son my Plaid. It ET's better than most. Im #15 on worldwide Draggy 1/8 mi and I have not lightened the car in any way. Over all efficiency with 30k on the clock is 306wh/mi and I drive it like I stole it.

Attachments

• IMG_4666.jpeg
    IMG_4666.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 21
@MODEL+ is correct. 20x9 would be a better fit with 245/40/20 tire and no clearance issue on the 2020 Model S. The same 20x9 can also be build to be compatible with the refresh Model S LR if you ever switch to the new one in the future. (Just need to upsize the tire to 255/40/20 for the Refresh Model S)
Thank you guys so much for your insight. I’m thinking about getting the rear camber kit and an alignment done. Trying to achieve as least camber as possible in rear. -0.5 sound about right? I plan on getting new wheels too. In which order should I have everything done? Get wheels first and then camber kit installed with alignment? Or Alignment first? In the perfect world I can have everything done in one shop.

Thank you guys so much for your insight. I’m thinking about getting the rear camber kit and an alignment done. Trying to achieve as least camber as possible in rear. -0.5 sound about right? I plan on getting new wheels too. In which order should I have everything done? Get wheels first and then camber kit installed with alignment? Or Alignment first? In the perfect world I can have everything done in one shop.

It's best to everything done at once. Wheel + camber arm + alighment. But wheel can be install first and set the camber according to your preferance.

Feel free to visit our sister company website Camber / Toe Adjustment for camber arm option.

The shop I recomemend near your area:

1. EMD Auto in Anaheim (Recently worked on our customer's S)
2. EV FIX IN in costa mesa (They worked on my 3, Y, S plaid in the past.)

I just realized something that I haven't seen covered earlier in this thread or even in this forum.

Pre-refresh staggered setup had bigger diameter at back:

Front 245/35-21, diameter 27.8"
Rear 265/35-21, diameter 28.3"

So, by installing square setup, the car stance would change visually as the front would be higher.

But with refresh, front is slightly taller than rear:

Front 265/35ZR21, diameter 28.3"
Rear 295/30ZR21, diameter 28.0"

So going from stock staggered into square setup, front will actually lower.

With the Model S LR, you can consider doing 20x9.5 square with 255/40/20 or 265/40/20. We have done few testing on the S LR with 265 square and the 1/4 miles run are exactly the same as factroy setup.

Not only you are getting the same performance as the factroy setup, you will also get a better effieiecny, lower cost on tire ,and longer lasting thread since you can do rotation.

As far as fitment, you can skip the spacer and go with rear adjustable camber arm. You are able to achieve the same flushness front and rear once you bring back the rear camber to around -0.5 degree.

Example of the 20" square setup we did:
View attachment 955424

View attachment 955425
So what’s a good square set up for 2021 model s plaid?