Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to expect? Test drive @ remote location tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking at Teslas for a while, and had thought one day I might look for a newer, used one. But the current "base" is so close to the capability of the bulk of the used ones out there (mostly P85D's - and yes, it is slower, but you can't really use that much power on the street, anyway) that I'm pretty sold on a new one. Recent changes with my kids' activities have me driving about 100 miles per day, 6 days a week. Out of town trips are usually to Atlanta or Nashville, but I can always swap wiht my wife if necessary. But there are Superchargers halfway, anyway. Family is from Atlanta, so 2-3 times per year. Nashville is 2 swim meets for the kids per year, occasionally 3. So call it one 200-ish mile trip every 2-3 months.

At any rate, I have an appointment to drive one tomorrow. I'm trying to remember all of my questions. I am looking at going aftermarket for wheels and radio, so I'm hoping to find that the base radio still has provisions for the component speaker systems. I've already been told that the suspension is the same, regardless of wheels, since air suspension is now standard.

If it matters, I'm one of those weird car guys. I currently have 8 cars, one of which is a race car (road course), so I am definitely prefer a more firm suspension to the degree that many people would call it "harsh." Currently daily driver that will be replaced is a BMW 535i w/ the M-sport pkg (basically an M5 with a different engine) and a 6-speed. I'm sure I'll miss the manual, but I've heard so much good stuff from fellow car enthusiasts about them that it sounds like maybe I'll get over it.

Got a call from my sales guy, really nice guy, answered all of my questions. But I'm wondering if there is anything I don't know to the point that I wouldn't have known to ask the question. So.....what should I expect from any of you who have been through this before? I warned him that my 8 y/o son will be out of school tomorrow, so I'll have him (he LOVES the doors on the X, so I'm sure he'll want to look at those). How long will they spend with me? Will they send me out in the car without the salesman, or only with (don't care one way or another)? I'm inclined to guess this won't be like having to deal with a typical gauntlet of new car sales pitch.....am I right? I've already told them I won't be trading in the BMW, but might trade in a different car that I won't be able to have with me.

Appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Don't worry so much. It sounds like you've experienced the "car salesman" effect at dealerships and feel like you need to be well prepared before battle. You don't need to worry or be especially prepared at a Tesla Store NOT DEALERSHIP! :)

You can expect a friendly sales person who will ride with you on the test drive. You'll get a nice overview of how to drive a Tesla and some instruction on the controls.

All you really need to be prepared for is the perma-grin after exiting the vehicle and the desire to sell your BMW shortly thereafter.
-Jim

The test drive process can be anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes. They walk you through the car and demonstrate lots of features. Youll most likely get to experience autopilot and youll get to open her up on the highways too. When you come back to park they may show you the autopark feature. There is ZERO pressue from these guys, they are not your typical scumbag car salespeople.

Just remember that during the test drive you are responsible for the car, so don't hot dog too much and mess her up!

Been looking at Teslas for a while, and had thought one day I might look for a newer, used one. But the current "base" is so close to the capability of the bulk of the used ones out there (mostly P85D's - and yes, it is slower, but you can't really use that much power on the street, anyway) that I'm pretty sold on a new one. Recent changes with my kids' activities have me driving about 100 miles per day, 6 days a week. Out of town trips are usually to Atlanta or Nashville, but I can always swap wiht my wife if necessary. But there are Superchargers halfway, anyway. Family is from Atlanta, so 2-3 times per year. Nashville is 2 swim meets for the kids per year, occasionally 3. So call it one 200-ish mile trip every 2-3 months.

At any rate, I have an appointment to drive one tomorrow. I'm trying to remember all of my questions. I am looking at going aftermarket for wheels and radio, so I'm hoping to find that the base radio still has provisions for the component speaker systems. I've already been told that the suspension is the same, regardless of wheels, since air suspension is now standard.

If it matters, I'm one of those weird car guys. I currently have 8 cars, one of which is a race car (road course), so I am definitely prefer a more firm suspension to the degree that many people would call it "harsh." Currently daily driver that will be replaced is a BMW 535i w/ the M-sport pkg (basically an M5 with a different engine) and a 6-speed. I'm sure I'll miss the manual, but I've heard so much good stuff from fellow car enthusiasts about them that it sounds like maybe I'll get over it.

Got a call from my sales guy, really nice guy, answered all of my questions. But I'm wondering if there is anything I don't know to the point that I wouldn't have known to ask the question. So.....what should I expect from any of you who have been through this before? I warned him that my 8 y/o son will be out of school tomorrow, so I'll have him (he LOVES the doors on the X, so I'm sure he'll want to look at those). How long will they spend with me? Will they send me out in the car without the salesman, or only with (don't care one way or another)? I'm inclined to guess this won't be like having to deal with a typical gauntlet of new car sales pitch.....am I right? I've already told them I won't be trading in the BMW, but might trade in a different car that I won't be able to have with me.

Appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Hey, how did your test drive go?! and I just saw this post but it is not a sales pitch as you may have noticed now the cars basically sell themselves when I did my test drive I told the person that I had to discuss it with my wife and they gave me the car for the night so we could see how we liked it when I brought it back the next day I ordered my Model X! :)

If you have any questions feel free to contact me happy to answer any you may have.

Expect to be greatly underwhelmed by Tesla. You will quickly go out and purchase a Ford Focus and return to gasoline engines and 0-60 speeds in the mid 8 second range.

The Tesla is simply too fast, too safe, too smooth.... I can't stand all the awful looks I get from people while driving assuming that I am "cool" or "awesome" or "sexy" ..... hello? My eyes are up here, stop staring at my turbines! You pig!

Oh I just wish I could go stand in line at a gas station again smelling my fingers again.

Okay, so it went pretty well. Pros and cons. First of all, the whole interaction with the employee there was great. Certainly not like any sort of other new car experience I've dealt with. Guy was great, explained stuff, was very upfront and honest about where things are, did not overpromise......if anything, he downplayed some of the capabilities.

Performance-wise, the car was great. I drove a P100D, but in the settings, we set it up to drive like a 75D. I must confess that given my prior cars, and my current daily driver, I wasn't sure what to expect. The whole 0-60 thing is not really a big deal, and frankly, my current car weighs about 3400 pounds, and makes about 340hp, so I'm certainly accustomed to fast cars. Anyway, my fear was that at-speed, the car would not be as responsive. I mean, at 0MPH, it has 100% torque available, unlike any ICE powered car. It has AWD, so tons of grip. But there is one place I drove it deliberately (an entrance ramp with a tight radius turn), and of course, got behind a slow poke who thinks that merging with traffic going 75 while going 40 is no problem. So when i pulled out to go around him and floored it......I was pretty floored, just reacted and said "HOLY SH," fortunately catching myself before I let it out because my 8 y/o was in the back seat (and promptly asked my why I said "holy shhhh"). Turn in was incredibly crisp, though not surprising since the car has Pilot Super Sports on 21's, which is what I used to keep on my car, but got sick of replacing them every 6-8000 miles. Feedback through the wheel was not as good as my current car, but still not bad.

Now, I do have to say, I was pretty disappointed with the interior. Some things were feature related - example, there is no "mist" feature on the wiper stalk. One has to twist the knob to engage the wipers, then turn it off, rather than flip down the stalk or something that is a flick and forget. The stalks themselves were very cheap feeling and looking. I has assumed the gear selector would be touch screen, rather than having a PRNDL (the stalk where one selects the drive position...industry term, sorry). That and it was the Mercedes style, which about sent me into convulsions given our experience with owning a Mercedes. The seats were comfortable and a whole lot more supportive than most out there. But I still found myself disappointed. I'm an odd customer, I'm small by American standards, and I like to be wrapped up really tight in a car seat. My BMW has adjustable side bolsters, so I can pull them in and they wrap around me quite tight almost like a streetable version the seat in my race car. Since the MS does not, I can't get it as tight. Again, better than most other cars out there, but at this price point, this level of adjustability is pretty standard. I knew going in that the material was synthetic leather. Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious. Don't get me wrong, it felt nice, but it just isn't as soft as real leather. The synthetic stuff that is used by both Mercedes and Audi feels a bit more convincing. However, probably the single biggest issue is the seatbelt. Like I said, I'm not that big. I'm only 5'8". The shoulder belt rests on my neck. No I did not try to raise the seat, I generally put them as low as I can. I think every car I have been in that has been made in the 2000's had adjustable shoulder restraints (where you can raise or lower it on the B-Pillar). That really, really bothers me.

At any rate, I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Really liked how the car drove. Loved all the tech they put in. Love the fact that it is an American car. But man, I spend about 3 hours a day in a car. I'd really like to have a bit more refinement in the interior. And of course, its a lot of money.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matutino
I have driven at least 8 long trips non stop, that is 6 chargers one way. Florida to new Orleans. DC many times. After you get settled into the quiet, smoothness, you will never want another. It actually gets boring, turn the music up real loud. I did buy a seat cushion, its like my benz, hard.
Yea, it aint no Cadillac, u cant compare apples and grapes.

Okay, so it went pretty well. Pros and cons. First of all, the whole interaction with the employee there was great. Certainly not like any sort of other new car experience I've dealt with. Guy was great, explained stuff, was very upfront and honest about where things are, did not overpromise......if anything, he downplayed some of the capabilities.

Performance-wise, the car was great. I drove a P100D, but in the settings, we set it up to drive like a 75D. I must confess that given my prior cars, and my current daily driver, I wasn't sure what to expect. The whole 0-60 thing is not really a big deal, and frankly, my current car weighs about 3400 pounds, and makes about 340hp, so I'm certainly accustomed to fast cars. Anyway, my fear was that at-speed, the car would not be as responsive. I mean, at 0MPH, it has 100% torque available, unlike any ICE powered car. It has AWD, so tons of grip. But there is one place I drove it deliberately (an entrance ramp with a tight radius turn), and of course, got behind a slow poke who thinks that merging with traffic going 75 while going 40 is no problem. So when i pulled out to go around him and floored it......I was pretty floored, just reacted and said "HOLY SH," fortunately catching myself before I let it out because my 8 y/o was in the back seat (and promptly asked my why I said "holy shhhh"). Turn in was incredibly crisp, though not surprising since the car has Pilot Super Sports on 21's, which is what I used to keep on my car, but got sick of replacing them every 6-8000 miles. Feedback through the wheel was not as good as my current car, but still not bad.

Now, I do have to say, I was pretty disappointed with the interior. Some things were feature related - example, there is no "mist" feature on the wiper stalk. One has to twist the knob to engage the wipers, then turn it off, rather than flip down the stalk or something that is a flick and forget. The stalks themselves were very cheap feeling and looking. I has assumed the gear selector would be touch screen, rather than having a PRNDL (the stalk where one selects the drive position...industry term, sorry). That and it was the Mercedes style, which about sent me into convulsions given our experience with owning a Mercedes. The seats were comfortable and a whole lot more supportive than most out there. But I still found myself disappointed. I'm an odd customer, I'm small by American standards, and I like to be wrapped up really tight in a car seat. My BMW has adjustable side bolsters, so I can pull them in and they wrap around me quite tight almost like a streetable version the seat in my race car. Since the MS does not, I can't get it as tight. Again, better than most other cars out there, but at this price point, this level of adjustability is pretty standard. I knew going in that the material was synthetic leather. Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious. Don't get me wrong, it felt nice, but it just isn't as soft as real leather. The synthetic stuff that is used by both Mercedes and Audi feels a bit more convincing. However, probably the single biggest issue is the seatbelt. Like I said, I'm not that big. I'm only 5'8". The shoulder belt rests on my neck. No I did not try to raise the seat, I generally put them as low as I can. I think every car I have been in that has been made in the 2000's had adjustable shoulder restraints (where you can raise or lower it on the B-Pillar). That really, really bothers me.

At any rate, I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Really liked how the car drove. Loved all the tech they put in. Love the fact that it is an American car. But man, I spend about 3 hours a day in a car. I'd really like to have a bit more refinement in the interior. And of course, its a lot of money.

Spend a weekend with a P100D. See if you feel the same. If you do, then definitely would move on to another car. If you are like me, you will start to be haunted by the car in the coming hours. Soon, you may find yourself configuring it before convincing yourself to get a different car. Then you will go drive the other cars available. Perhaps the biggest most important reason to try the car for longer is autopilot. Nothing can compete and a weekend with that feature will make every other car, no matter how fit the interior is... and mercedes and bmw have some sweet interiors.... but nothing comes close. I personally think the figured ash comes close to the germans.

But anyway, hope you get an opportunity to try the autopilot. It is jaw dropping in a way that is so hard to explain. You may hear us complaining about progress on the forum but don't be fooled. It is next wonder of the world stuff in my opinion.

Either way, best of luck.

Reactions: outdoors
BTW, Tesla will also allow "24-hour" test drives. Even if you don't need it, it's great fun for a potential new owner and allows for a longer drive like you are describing.
This is the best advice on this thread. Nothing made me understand like the overnight experience with no one else in the car. You can cuss all you want then.

Thats also the best sales tactic ever they give you the car for the day and the next day you place your order because you fall in love with it and they know it!
I love that Tesla is likely one of the only brands that would do this for me. Every other car I would feel like it got out of my system. Tesla is likely a sophisticated alien plot to impregnate the owner. Then 10 years from now....
IMG_3753 copy.png

Reactions: SteveB26
Like the title states, it was a remote location test drive. An overniight drive isn't an option, I'm too far from the dealer.
No hotels in Tennessee? Truly is worthy of an overnight stay, not that you’ll get much sleep...

The wipers can be triggered for a one pass button push on the end of the stalk, and recent releases have rain sensing settings, so there’s that.

Some things were feature related - example, there is no "mist" feature on the wiper stalk. One has to twist the knob to engage the wipers, then turn it off, rather than flip down the stalk or something that is a flick and forget.

Button at the end of the stalk. Push one
Indent to do a single (or maybe it’s double) swipe. Push harder to get the washer fluid and wiping.

They gave 24hour overnight in Texas. It did really help. Of course it cost me over $100k on a car...

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
They’ll let you take the car home if you ask, If you are thinking of buying a p100d or something they will do it. It’s not easy to sell a car that expensive no matter what people tell you the demand is. I’d ask and if they say no it’s just not in the cards sort of thing. Let your friendly Buttershrimp know and I’ll ask around too.

Reactions: DvLang

Great advice from Buttershrimp and everyone else here. I can only add a couple cents of sense:

First, I'm 5' 0" and have been able to get the MS seat and seatbelt to wrap me up perfectly. And, new MS has adjustable seatbelt and headrest.

Second, from the way you describe your driving preferences ... tight handling, OK with firm ride, etc., you might want to wait a bit to get a Model 3 AWD when available. Our M3 RWD handles better than anything else I've driven. These include our current MS AWD (handles astonishingly in the curves for a 5000-lb car), and my previous Audi S5, Audi S4, BMW 330xi, Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, and Toyota Supra.

Of note, all of the previous cars were AWD, except for the Supra. And, all, going back to 1986, were stick. Wouldn't consider a car that wasn't ... until now.

For me, the best part of driving a manual is a perfectly-matched downshift ... and the near-brakeless mountain driving which it allows. What the Tesla delivers is in some ways better. No, not the fun of clutch and stick. But one-pedal driving. Almost always near-brakeless. And, always in "the right gear" as you let off the gas and allow engine braking to feather in. Indescribable.

That, and the fact that the regenerative braking refills your gas tank!

Most people test driving a Tesla want to compare it to their current car(s). This can cause some dissappointment at the Tesla philosophy
is going to be different. It is not a race car, it does not have the same type of interior, the seats will be different, and the controls not the same.
If you want the same thing you are driving, you are going to want to buy another of the same type of car. You have also gotten used to the car you are driving, so the Tesla will not feel as familiar. This is fair and reasonable, but can often cloud your mind as to the real reasons to buy a Tesla.

A big deal is that the car is all electric. That means no more pollution in Urban areas. There is a reason that all ICE vehicles have their exhaust pipes going out of the back of the vehicle. Nobody wants to breath their own pollution. The car does not have all the vibrations of a combustion engine.Tesla's have an optional large HEPA filter that will assist in filtering out all the particulates in our normally polluted Urban areas, or even dusty countrysides. It is super smooth with far better throttle response and no shifting transmissions to upset the car in the corners.

The interior is minimalist by design. Current standard cars are festooned with scores of buttons to push and prod. Super distracting, and vary so much from car to car that a steep learning curve is necessary when attempting to drive a new car. Tesla is as intuitive as an iPad or smart phone.

They are among the safest vehicles on the road. Provide tons of interior and luggage space, are very aerodynamically designed and efficient with energy consumption.

Some typical consumers have been brainwashed into believing what make an excellent vehicle. Precise panel gaps of a thunk sounding door closing does not make a car a better transport. Having phoney forceful engine noises coming out of your speakers does not make it more sporting. Loud bass enhanced thumping music is not a quality sound system, tuned noise from the mufflers does not mean a well designed engine etc.

It takes a quantum shift to realize just how advanced a Tesla is over a gas car. The future will bring us even better EV's but the past will belong to the internal combustion engine. It no longer fits into a civilized world.

In the future, all emission producing vehicles will be taxed to cover the costs of cleaning up after themselves. Those costs will drive populations to the cleaner vehicles. It will be a natural progression just like using natural gas/wind/solar over coal/oil/wood fuels.

Waking up with your car fully charged is so much more pleasant that driving down to a smelly gasoline station to fill up your tank with flamible fluids. Less expensive too.

Feel like I'm talking to an Apple fan trying to explain that I don't like some things they do. "You're doing it wrong." "No, I just like to put things where I want them, and how I want them." "Why? APple organizes it for you?" "Not how I'd like it to be organized." "Why?" "Why do you care? I can do it the way I want to with something else!!!!!!"

Now that Android/PC fans are chuckling and Apple fans are all torqued off.....

Anyway, either folks aren't reading what I'm writing, or I'm being incredibly ambiguous. I'll go with its my fault, because it doesn't really matter, its my job to be clear.

First of all, I'm after a 75D. Not a P100D. Not a 100D. A 75D. The P100D mention was because that was the lone Model S that the dealer brought to their remote event where I was able to check out the car. The rep set it to give the performance of a 75D, so it was good.

I'm not "in the market" for a new car. I am just now at a point where, at 30,000 miles per year, and a whole lot of repair, a Tesla is starting to actually make a lot of sense, where it has in the past several years been more of teh "dream" or aspirational cars. Seriously, I believe I said that nothing else out there appeals to me, and that is true. There is not a car produced taht it more appealing than mine. The Tesla is the only one that would even make me consider a change.

Look, folks. I know how cars work. I've owned dozens. I currently own 8 (7 plus my wife's daily driver). I used to do engine development for Ford. I'm a nationally certified driving instructor for a few organizations, including Porsche Club of America. The heaviest vehicle weighs almost 7,000 pounds. It is a Dodge Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins. The lightest weights 2250 pounds, it is my race car, a Porsche 944 Turbo powered by a NA 944S engine (race weight with me is 2500#). Others are a 67 GTO (hence my name - the MY of that car, which was my first, combined with my last name, King), a 66 Bronco, a 944 Turbo S, and my wife's old daily, a MB R320 CDI. Wife's current daily is an Audi Q7 TDI. Oh yeah, and the BMW, which is a 535i (turbo) that has been tweaked a little to make about 340 horsepower, and has the M-Sport package, which is basically an M5 with the N54 engine.....and weighs about 500 pounds less, most from the front of the car. The overwhelming majority of my cars have been manuals, and that even includes that Dodge that is my tow truck for the race car.

I don't look at test driving one car and compare it to my current. Period. I compare it to my needs/desires. Perhaps my most extreme was when I drove my Mustang GT to go test drive a Miata. Diametrically opposed cars if there ever was such a thing. Current BMW and MS have more in common than those two did.

Some folks would be surprised at how clean ICE's are nowadays. And you'd be surprised to learn that a car's interior is often a greater source of pollution than the exhaust. All of the polymers in the interior outgas hydrocarbons. Current emissions testing include "shed" testing, which captures the outgassing from the interiors. And that synthetic leather......vinyl is going to outgas more than leather, so it'll actually be contributing more. True, this does not include CO2. However, plugging into a grid that has so much electricity that comes from burning coal is basically a zero sum gain. Coal powerplants' efficiency is pretty much on par with modern ICE's. Now, I'm a big proponent of nuclear and the whole cadre of renewables. We, IMHO, need a comprehensive energy policy. But that's another discussion for another day, and I don't want to get political. In Appalachia, where I live, the hand I'm dealt includes a LOT of coal.

Sales guy told me that one had to rotate teh stalk to mist the windshield. I don't know if it cahnged recently or what. He did say that Tesla got rid of the rain sensing function, as it wasn't very good (FWIW, the one in my BMW SUCKS).

Now, to the meat of things. I didn't expand too much, but here is why I keep harping on things like seat position, and how the interior feels. And why I can't just get a hotel room to do a 24 hour evaluation of a car. I have 3 kids, aged 13 (twins) and 8. I need a legit 5 passenger car, not a 4 passenger with a 77 Camaro-esque hump in the middle. So the 3 is out, it isn't big enough. Alright, M-F, I leave my house at 4:30AM to take the twins to swim practice 30 minutes away. It is from 5:00-7:00 When 67QUeen is working, I load up the boy, and drag him back and forth. Otherwise, either my wife takes him to school or if she has to go in to work, I meet her to grab him. Regardless, he is at school at 8:00, his sisters at 8:30. I am out of the car at 8:45. Aside from errands or consulting runs during the car, I get back in the car at 2:45 to go pick up 67Prince from school. Some days, he goes straight to Tutor #1. Other days, we go home firs,tt and wait for 67Princessses to get home. 2 days a week, I take him and one of the girls up to Oak Ridge for swim practice (yes, #2 for her, she's one of the top age group swimmers in the nation). Some days, he has a different tutor, the other sister has clarinet lessons, etc. At any rate, I'm out and driving around from 2:45 to 5:30 on Thursdays, 6:30 on Tuesdays, and 8:00 on M, W, and F. On Saturdays, girls are at practice at 8:00, back and forth, he is there at 10:30. It wraps up at 12:00 noon.

So what does all of this mean? Well, for starters, it is really tough for me to go spend a day in one of these cars. I can't just go to Nashville and get a hotel room. Closest I could do would be mid afternoon on a Saturday (when I'm not at a swim meet), but I can't get it back on a Sunday when they aren't open. Second, I am driving on average 100 miles per day, going 33MPH. That means I spend 3 hours every day, 6 days a week on average in the car. Think about your bed. Granted, I only get about 4.5 hours of sleep a night, but if someone told you to just suck up your uncomfort with your bed, how would you react? So I am sorry, but I spend FAR too much time in the car to raise the seat to a position that is not comfortable. I'm sorry, but like I said way up there, I like the seat low. And if I'm spending $80K on a car, I don't expect to have to make compromises I would have to make if I were buying a $15K car (for that matter, the Ford Focus reference up there - that comes wiht adjustable seat belts and real leather). Will I try to adjust the seat? If I get a chance to spend time, yes. But when I adjust a seat, it goes all of the way down, then I bring up the front until the front edge supports some of the weight of my front legs. I sit close to the wheel, not overly reclined. Why is that? Like I mentioned, the whole race car influence. That is generally the best way to sit to be in control and get the most feedback from the car. I did not sit like that before I started driving on a race track. It isn't like I do the whole gangsta lean because I'm trying to look cool. And again, the material. I get it is part of the whole sustainability thing with Tesla. WHich I really, really like, and I find really appealing. But I still eat meat, and I highly suspect that cowhide is likely underused given how much beef is consumed as food. Hopefully I'm not sounding to prima-donna-ish. But seriously, I'm spending 18 hours a week in the seat, I really would prefer a nice, softer material.

The whole Autopilot thing. Honestly, as a car guy, the concept is a bit of a turn off. I don't deal with a lot of traffic. The notion of something else handling the driving duties to me is a big turn off. The whole reason I find it interesting is, to be blunt, safety. Doesn't happen during the week, as I'm rarely driving more than 30 minutes wihtout stopping. But at some times, I am drowsy. And when I am, I really like the idea of having something to help ensure that if my response is not as crisp as it needs to be, or heaven forbid I drift out of my lane, I am going to get soem feedback or help. But I do not find the notion of engaging AP whiile I'm just driving to be a positive. So AP won't sell me on the car.

Driving dynamics of hte car were incredibly impressive. Much better than I expected.