Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What three words and navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reflecting some of the tech differences and nice to haves from other cars in my past, and one of the things I felt was amazingly useful was Mercedes What three words integration into their nav system. So basically you just told it (or sent from their app) the three words from what three words and it would navigate to them. So no messing with post codes.. addresses or GPS coords.

For those that are unaware, W3W is a way of identifying any 3sqm location in the world, just by using three words to identify. So other than being a life saver for mountain rescue it's also waaay more precise than a simple post code.

For locating charge points/super chargers being able to use W3W would be a huge time and stress saver. e.g super chargers at south mimms are ///notes.speaks.gears or northampton ///lodge.jacket.chained

Now ofc one can use it from your phone, and it's possible to use the location from the web browser to look it up but i'm wondering if there is a nifty trick to use it while driving?

Reactions: speedyranger74
No way to do so without using your phone to send the location to the car. Personally don't really see the benefit for navigation when the address is normally good enough, and a lot of locations are shown on the map to the precise point (superchargers included)

In urban areas, the post code is'nt too bad, in rural areas a post code or address can cover a wide area. chargers etc may be on the map, but W3W can take you exactly where they are without needing to crawl around the car park or hotel trying to find em. It's one of those things you dont realise how useful it is, until you start using it :)

don't really see the benefit for navigation when the address is normally good enough

Tesla navigation only uses the postcode area and district (ie the bits before the space) so if you have multiple identical road in the same district (which can cover several miles), then sat nav has got a good chance of getting it wrong and sending you to the wrong location, sometimes a significant duration journey away.

Unfortunately it also does this for dropped pins sent via the phone to the nav system so an exact location of a dropped pin can actually turn into something miles away.

I see from this post that Tesla are using What Three Words in their collection instructions & it's good that you can share directly from the WTW app to the car.

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

#1,884
W3W is sometimes causing problems for emergency services as some words are singular and plural.
Using singular instead of plural or vice versa can make the location off by thousands of miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57
W3W is sometimes causing problems for emergency services as some words are singular and plural.
Using singular instead of plural or vice versa can make the location off by thousands of miles.
I think its worse, it can be off by less than a mile so the "I'm stranded in the lake district at help.save.me" which looks like a valid location but is not where you actually are.