Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a chart from the overdischarge test:
354FAFA1-B7CE-44C5-8FF9-904D0FC093C6.jpeg

This was performed with cells that had 2.7V min Voltage if I remember it right.
Discharged to 1.5V/cell, they have almost the same cycke life.

The exact 0% level is not extremely important, you should aim for not going below but if it happens, its a margin i cell voltage (not much energy, but in voltage).

Guess I will keep my car at 50% when not driving it for days, in an attempt to stop as much degradation as possible on my 4 1/2 year old Model 3. This car has to last me long enough for Elon to let us transfer FSD to a new Tesla, because I won't pay $15,000 (or more) for it. And I'd like to have it on a new car as I use Summon all the time, for getting my car out of the garage. Plus I'd like the newer hardware since it's clear Elon is making it so not all the newer hardware can be implemented into older cars.
In a 4 1/2 year old car, keeping it at 50% won't prevent as much degradation as it would have in the first year. In the first four years it has probably experienced as much (calendar) degradation as it would in years 5 through 20 if I understand AAKEE's "square of time" explanation correctly.

As for the FSD transfer, you're probably waiting for all Hell to freeze over. I don't think that will ever happen unless forced by law.

Reactions: AAKEE
As for the FSD transfer, you're probably waiting for all Hell to freeze over. I don't think that will ever happen unless forced by law.
Wish I knew about the 50% charge thing when I first bought my car. When I picked my car up at Fremont back in 2018 I was told different charge percentages by different Tesla staff members there.

Well, I'm hoping they will allow it maybe even if a small fee is required, if they won't reduce the price of FSD. If not then I either won't buy another Tesla or won't get FSD. But can you imagine paying the $15,000 for FSD and within a month someone hits and totals your new car. While you might get most of the value of the car you will never get back what you paid FSD for, so then if you bought another Tesla to replace it you would have to pay $15,000 all over again or more if Elon decided to increase its cost. There really needs to be exceptions at least for totaled vehicles and charge a small transfer fee or one time transfer. Tesla is still getting our money for a new vehicle, since they want us to keep upgrading vehicles.

Well, I'm hoping they will allow it maybe even if a small fee is required, if they won't reduce the price of FSD. If not then I either won't buy another Tesla or won't get FSD. But can you imagine paying the $15,000 for FSD and within a month someone hits and totals your new car. While you might get most of the value of the car you will never get back what you paid FSD for, so then if you bought another Tesla to replace it you would have to pay $15,000 all over again or more if Elon decided to increase its cost. There really needs to be exceptions at least for totaled vehicles and charge a small transfer fee or one time transfer. Tesla is still getting our money for a new vehicle, since they want us to keep upgrading vehicles.
Simple, Don't buy FSD. I made that mistake once. I ended up selling the vehicle and lost the money I had spent on FSD, since then I've purchased 2 more Tesla's and didn't purchase either with FSD. If you really think you need it, just subscribe to it in the future. The payback on making the $15K worthwhile is 75 months, most people will move on and get rid of the car before then anyway.

• Love
Reactions: AAKEE and Rocky_H
Simple, Don't buy FSD. I made that mistake once. I ended up selling the vehicle and lost the money I had spent on FSD, since then I've purchased 2 more Tesla's and didn't purchase either with FSD. If you really think you need it, just subscribe to it in the future. The payback on making the $15K worthwhile is 75 months, most people will move on and get rid of the car before then anyway.
As I said there are features I like about it and yes I could just subscribe but then you don't get the hardware upgrades, should come out. But yes, I won't pay $15,000 or more for FSD. Another reason why I will be keeping my 2018 Model 3 a while longer.

Wish I knew about the 50% charge thing when I first bought my car. When I picked my car up at Fremont back in 2018 I was told different charge percentages by different Tesla staff members there
In general, there are more ’wrongs’ than ’rights’ floating around when it comes to preserving the battery.
I am pretty damned sure now that the research/science is right, since there is starting to be quite a bunch of low SOC cars that have been around for a while, all with low degradation.

The nice thing is; Even without the ”truth”, just following the Tesla advices, the battery survives.
So no need to regret, id say I have had a hard struggle in most places to work against the myths. Which in turn means that most of the world was cought by the myths.
(Actually it had been easier here on TMC than at other places.)

I get the feeling that FSD is some kind of pyramid scheme. Money lost in these games usually will be lost?

Removing the radar did not make my car better at all. Got worse.
Removing the USS can not be a good idea.
The vision thing, yes but not without sensors.

Removing the radar did not make my car better at all. Got worse.
Removing the USS can not be a good idea.
The vision thing, yes but not without sensors.
I have way more phantom braking since they turned off my radar. Vision in place of USS is not as accurate and can't see things right at the bumper below the camera's view prior to start up, like a dog or cat or even a small child. Vision only is a nice concept but the software can't think like the human brain and you're right other sensors are still needed, like FLIR. A fully autonomous vehicle should be able to see things humans can't, especially in bad weather.

Reactions: AAKEE and E90alex
Tesla has already made it known, that there will be no upgrade from HW3 to HW4 (free or otherwise), my belief is they will call whatever status they can get FSD to w/ the existing HW3 and call that close enough.
Yes, because HW4 was a physical design change and can't be just bolted in on older HW3 vehicles. I would like to see Tesla upgrade my repeater cameras to the newer ones because at night the blinker bleed inside the camera housing makes it so you can't see anything. I'd think FSD wouldn't see anything either through them with the blinkers going off.

I'm curious, there are a ton of apps out there - I'm sure many do the same things, and others do different things.
Being a data driven person, and a bit of a geek - is there one that I should 'invest' in, or start collecting data on immediately? Taking delivery of my MYLR tomorrow. I've seen Tessie thrown around a lot, as well as SMT.
I plan to keep my MYLR for a while, so I think I've settled on aiming for 55% SOC, charging overnight when I get to 15-20% SOC.
Thanks everyone!

I'm curious, there are a ton of apps out there - I'm sure many do the same things, and others do different things.
Being a data driven person, and a bit of a geek - is there one that I should 'invest' in, or start collecting data on immediately? Taking delivery of my MYLR tomorrow. I've seen Tessie thrown around a lot, as well as SMT.
I plan to keep my MYLR for a while, so I think I've settled on aiming for 55% SOC, charging overnight when I get to 15-20% SOC.
Thanks everyone!
Depends upon what kind of data you want. If you want to know about the state of your battery, then probably getting SMT and the OBDII reader makes sense, but if you want an app that has lots of neat features, then you'll want to consider something else. I kind of like the Watch for Tesla app for my watch, but I also have Stats. These things do seem to run in cycles, as different apps get popular at different times. I don't know why Tessie is popular at the moment.

Reactions: Chewy13
I got 12 of 13 correct. The exception was, "What is the optimum storage SOC for a lithium ion battery to reduce the degradation from time ?", which I answered with 20%. The correct answer was given as 0%.

I would argue that 0% cannot be the correct answer, because self-discharge, albeit very slowly, would take the battery below 0%, which is not good. I propose to add a 10% choice and take that as the correct answer.
That is kind of a trick question in the context of EVs, since an EV's battery is not truly in storage when the EV is parked, since it needs to keep the low voltage battery charged up, and the low voltage battery does use some of its charge while parked.

Now, if you park the EV, switch off the main battery disconnect, and connect the low voltage battery to a trickle charger, that may be more like "storage" for the main battery.

That is kind of a trick question in the context of EVs, since an EV's battery is not truly in storage when the EV is parked, since it needs to keep the low voltage battery charged up, and the low voltage battery does use some of its charge while parked.

Now, if you park the EV, switch off the main battery disconnect, and connect the low voltage battery to a trickle charger, that may be more like "storage" for the main battery.
-It doesnt matter that the car is sleeping and charges the LV batt from time to time.
-It wont matter if it doesnt sleep due to sentry mode etc.
-It wont matter even if the car was driven or charged all the time.

Calendar aging happens anyway.

Reactions: DrChaos