Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do You Plug In Every Day (for daily driving, home charging)?

Do you usually leave your Tesla plugged in when at home not in use?

• Yes, I leave my a Tesla plugged in when not in use

Votes: 72 53.7%
  • No, I usually wait until the battery is down to x%, and then charge to y%.

Votes: 52 38.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP here. The only reason I don’t plug in every night is the charge cable is draped across the back of my wife’s hybrid to reach the MYLR when I charge, and I’m afraid one day she’ll pull out without noticing, and my MYLR will be out of commission waiting for repairs to charge port, connector or other. Otherwise I’d plug in every day.

We don’t want to switch garage spots for a variety of reasons (someone will suggest that I assume). Unless I’m doing a rare long trip, I only need to charge every 4-5 days to stay within about 40%-80%.

Hi All,
I received the delivery of my 2024 MY on 3/31. This forum is such great source of all information. I didn't order a mobile connector yet, so I get advantage of the 5K Miles promotion, but I'll order one this week.
I plan on leaving connected when not using, that's understood to the L2 charger (I have a 240V outlet for dryer that we don't use much).

1. Are superchargers bad for the life of the battery?
2. Shall I set my charge limit to different numbers (60, 70, 90) and rotate to recondition the battery.

So much information and everyone has an opinion, and Tesla's manual is as vague as possible. Understood recommend 80% and plug every night, don't submerge, don't drain to 0% :).

many thanks in advance for all the great information posted here, and happy to join the Tesla family.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Hi All,
I received the delivery of my 2024 MY on 3/31. This forum is such great source of all information. I didn't order a mobile connector yet, so I get advantage of the 5K Miles promotion, but I'll order one this week.
I plan on leaving connected when not using, that's understood to the L2 charger (I have a 240V outlet for dryer that we don't use much).

2. Shall I set my charge limit to different numbers (60, 70, 90) and rotate to recondition the battery.

So much information and everyone has an opinion, and Tesla's manual is as vague as possible. Understood recommend 80% and plug every night, don't submerge, don't drain to 0% :).

many thanks in advance for all the great information posted here, and happy to join the Tesla family.
Could be OK, but you'll want to check the amperage of the circuit your dryer plug is on, it may charge slower than those of us with 40-60 amp breakers and proper gauge wiring. Builder grade dryer outlets are usually meant only for infrequent plug/unplug cycles, like every 10 to 15 years when you replace a dryer. If you plan to plug/unplug your connector often it won't hold up very well, might even present a fire hazard. If you don't know what I am talking about, you should probably consult an electrician to review your circuit, breaker, wiring and receptacle.

• Informative
Reactions: DrDiesel1
I have a 2023 model 3. My app says to set charge to 100% and charge fully at least once a week. I don't drive far, so I usually charge on the weekend from about 80%- I use a level one "charger" (standard grounded plug) with my Mobile Connector. Cheap and effective. For most people, who don't usually drive more than 40 miles per day, level one charging will work fine. This will ease the problems with charging for people who live in apartments. You may have seen the recent press on this.

For daily driving for those with home charging primarily. I read Tesla says the car should be left plugged in when at home and not in use. I wait until I’m down to about 40% or so and then charge to 80%, usually overnight. Does it really make a difference?

I’m not asking about exceptions, like charging to 90-100% for a longer road trip. Or those who don’t have home charging available.
btw, im at 1.5-4% down after 17 months, amazingly great

yes, read a lot of sources, but expect first 24 months, approx 4% and then 1% or less per year, after 15 years, maybe 20%
the iphone or samsung cannot even come close to anything like that
Actually, if you baby your iPhone, you can keep the degradation down. I only charge my iPhone to 50% most days and I am at 99% of original capacity (according to the battery health app) after 18 months. However, I’m not a heavy phone user (somewhat ironic since I am a native app architect at a large tech company) so the 50% charge level isn’t a problem for me.

We charge our 2022 MYLR when it gets down to ~30% with a max charge level setting of 80%. This reduces the average charge level on the battery compared to charging every night to 80%. It also minimizes wear and tear on the charging plug and connector (car).

OP here. The only reason I don’t plug in every night is the charge cable is draped across the back of my wife’s hybrid to reach the MYLR when I charge, and I’m afraid one day she’ll pull out without noticing, and my MYLR will be out of commission waiting for repairs to charge port, connector or other. Otherwise I’d plug in every day.

We don’t want to switch garage spots for a variety of reasons (someone will suggest that I assume). Unless I’m doing a rare long trip, I only need to charge every 4-5 days to stay within about 40%-80%.
It's interesting that you gave the detail of your situation, because it is almost the same as ours. We have a Model S and a Model Y. We just have the one plug on the back right side of the garage, so it very easily can reach the charge ports of both cars, where it is lying across the floor behind one of the cars to reach the farther one. So with sharing the one plug, we just go with that and plug in as needed every few days with either car. It's generally not getting much below 20 or 30% most of the time when we refill, so not a big deal either way.

I always plug the car in and have the charge controller set to 80% I live in AZ and this allows the car to condition the batteries and control
the cabin temps. It also will charge and condition the 16 volt Li+ battery through the DC/DC controller.
Before I drive off, I set the car to 100% charge and leave when it's full. I have a 100% off grid 12K solar system.
It runs the house and charges the car from 80 to 100%. I can charge it a lot more, but it's quicker to hit my local SC station when traveling.

I did the same thing with my Bolt. Specially in the winter time in NV. I can watch my inverters load meter to see when the cars are conditioning
to cool and warm the batteries. I don't think Tesla says to keep it plugged in to avoid range complaints. It's 100% a conditioning control program, IMO!

I can hear the cars heat pump and blower motor running when it's conditioning during the day. My cabin temp is set to condition @ 95°F. YMMV!

Hi All,

Just make sure when you travel to have (add super chargers to you route) in the NAV setup. That way, it will condition the battery while
in route to the super charger. The system will charge faster. I always change to 100% before heading home. That way I can use my
off grid solar system to top off to 100% when I leave for traveling. I always had my Bolt to 100% and never had degradation issues.

Tesla might be different, so I leave it 80% when it's parked. YMMV! I took delivery on April 3rd. My production date it 3/24.
Mine was built in Auston TX. What is yours ? The info is on the B pillar when you open the drivers door, above the rocker panel. 👍