Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your true Model 3 budget?

What is the top of your M3 budget

Votes: 12 2.8%

Votes: 54 12.7%

Votes: 103 24.2%

Votes: 98 23.0%
  • unlimited

Votes: 15 3.5%

Votes: 47 11.0%

Votes: 56 13.1%

Votes: 41 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a look at my post above, if you check every option you are going to go way past $60k. I may have over estimated the cost of some things, but I may have under estimated the costs on others. (I discounted performance and ludicrous by 50%.)

While I don't think your numbers are to far off, I really think Tesla will try and keep a maxed out Model 3 under the base of a Model S. I don't think Ludicrous will be an option for the Model 3 and I think other packages such as leather seating and premium interior will be combined and reduced.

While I don't think your numbers are to far off, I really think Tesla will try and keep a maxed out Model 3 under the base of a Model S.

Why would they care about keeping the cost of a fully loaded Model 3 less than a stripped Model S? (The person looking to buy a fully loaded Model 3 isn't going to even think about buying a stripped Model S.)

Forgot about that. OK, so drop the total from $84k to $82,500.

Can you take my list and adjust it how you think will make it stop at $65k? (Either by adjusting the prices or eliminating options.)

My edits in bold

Base $ 35,000.00
Supercharging $ 1,500.00 Included in a battery upgrade, so only an up-charge if you remain on smallest battery.
Paint $ 1,000.00 $750. ($1,000 on Model S. Model 3 is smaller, and now dealing with more volume. Economy of scale)
Larger battery $ 7,500.00 My thought, 3 batteries. Mid-range battery +3500, Max battery +5000 (Gigafactory online)
AWD $ 4,000.00 about right
Wheels $ 2,500.00 $2,000 option and a larger $2,500 option
Auto-Pilot $ 2,500.00 Yep
Leather Seats $ 2,000.00 $1,750 less material needed, economy of scale
Premium Interior $ 2,500.00 Yep
Panoramic Roof $ 1,500.00 Yep
Fancy trim (Carbon fiber) $ 750.00 Yep
HiFi $ 2,000.00 $1750. less room for speakers.
Sub-Zero $ 1,000.00 $750
Peformance $ 10,000.00 $7500
Ludicrous $ 5,000.00 Yep
High amp charger $ 1,000.00 My feeling is they don't offer this, and everyone gets a 48A charger
Towing option $ 750.00 Yep
Smart Air Suspension $ 2,500.00 $2,000
Carbon Fiber Spoiler $ 1,000.00 $750
Grand total: $84,000.00 My version: $74,000 (ok, fine, I didn't get it down to $65,000......)

but you can kinda see my point....with the amount of pre-orders, they will most definitely be buying in bulk on a lot of these parts, thus bringing the overall price down.

I suppose all of this really depends on "Part 2" of the reveal. Will they "package" these like other carmakers? Will you still be able to largely order a la carte? At this point, there's a lot about this that ELON doesn't even know yet.

But we're all still excited to find out!

I have 2 Reservations placed first minute online opened (7:28 PST) and carry the east coast disadvantage

1st: Loaded with options needed to get sooner (~$65k) and hopeful for even 1/2 of the tax credit
2nd: Closer to base with awd + autopilot ($42k per Elon b/c i just want the average) and do not expect any tax credit or possibly tail end of the 1/4 credit

This way I may get both cars about 9 mo to 1 year apart (just a WAG on timing) and spread the financial outlay.

My edits in bold

Base $ 35,000.00
Supercharging $ 1,500.00 Included in a battery upgrade, so only an up-charge if you remain on smallest battery.
Paint $ 1,000.00 $750. ($1,000 on Model S. Model 3 is smaller, and now dealing with more volume. Economy of scale)
Larger battery $ 7,500.00 My thought, 3 batteries. Mid-range battery +3500, Max battery +5000 (Gigafactory online)
AWD $ 4,000.00 about right
Wheels $ 2,500.00 $2,000 option and a larger $2,500 option
Auto-Pilot $ 2,500.00 Yep
Leather Seats $ 2,000.00 $1,750 less material needed, economy of scale
Premium Interior $ 2,500.00 Yep
Panoramic Roof $ 1,500.00 Yep
Fancy trim (Carbon fiber) $ 750.00 Yep
HiFi $ 2,000.00 $1750. less room for speakers.
Sub-Zero $ 1,000.00 $750
Peformance $ 10,000.00 $7500
Ludicrous $ 5,000.00 Yep
High amp charger $ 1,000.00 My feeling is they don't offer this, and everyone gets a 48A charger
Towing option $ 750.00 Yep
Smart Air Suspension $ 2,500.00 $2,000
Carbon Fiber Spoiler $ 1,000.00 $750
Grand total: $84,000.00 My version: $74,000 (ok, fine, I didn't get it down to $65,000......)

but you can kinda see my point....with the amount of pre-orders, they will most definitely be buying in bulk on a lot of these parts, thus bringing the overall price down.

I suppose all of this really depends on "Part 2" of the reveal. Will they "package" these like other carmakers? Will you still be able to largely order a la carte? At this point, there's a lot about this that ELON doesn't even know yet.

But we're all still excited to find out!

Elon already tweeted that there will be 3 types of roofs, metal, panel glass and panoramic. Metal is obviously going to come standard where as the other 2 will be options. That being said, looking at all of the options is making my head spin and realize how expensive this car will end up being :) I spent 41k on my 328xi 6 years ago, and I expect to spend around 50k on this car.

This is awesome! had no idea NY passed this legislation. So basically, $9500 in tax credits if your lucky for us NY'ers. I really regret not getting up and ordering at midnight or going to the store now. I had no idea this many pre-orders would happen (nor did anyone else).

I don't have a specific budget but want to stay as wallet friendly as I can since this is mostly just a daily driver for us. I'm thinking extended battery for sure, MAYBE dual motors depending on the cost and what that would do the range as well. There's not much else I feel I have to have.

This is awesome! had no idea NY passed this legislation. So basically, $9500 in tax credits if your lucky for us NY'ers. I really regret not getting up and ordering at midnight or going to the store now. I had no idea this many pre-orders would happen (nor did anyone else).

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the federal credit if you didn't preorder on reveal night.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the federal credit if you didn't preorder on reveal night.
It's a crap shoot and there is a lot of theories. Keep in mind, it's 200k cars sold in the US plus another calendar quarter before it expires. There was around 150k pre order WORLDWIDE before me and estimates show that Tesla will be around 125k sold by end of 2017....this leaves 75k left plus time. Who knows how this will play out, but if I am not going to be eligible for the tax credit, I will definitely think long and hard about proceeding with the purchase.

It's a crap shoot and there is a lot of theories. Keep in mind, it's 200k cars sold in the US plus another calendar quarter before it expires. There was around 150k pre order WORLDWIDE before me and estimates show that Tesla will be around 125k sold by end of 2017....this leaves 75k left plus time. Who knows how this will play out, but if I am not going to be eligible for the tax credit, I will definitely think long and hard about proceeding with the purchase.
the fact that they were ~2,000 shy of delivery estimates (Worldwide....) for Q1 2016 is actually good news for all of us. It keeps that 200K US number further down the road. EM has already alluded to the fact they will "game the system" when it comes to production ramp......

**fingers crossed**

Reactions: MrBoylan
I don't have a specific budget but want to stay as wallet friendly as I can since this is mostly just a daily driver for us. I'm thinking extended battery for sure, MAYBE dual motors depending on the cost and what that would do the range as well. There's not much else I feel I have to have.

If they do it like the Model S you won't have the choice of a larger battery and RWD. (Once you move up from the small battery AWD is bundled automatically.)

I think the rebate is the x factor My budget is 40k, I am in NY, I am hopeful for the 7500 but I know that is unrealistic so at 3750 I can add that to my features Also if NY holds at 2000 more that also adds to my options. So if he can deliver at base 35000 I will be ok. I will need AWD and Supercharge and Extra battery. That will likely chew up my 5750 rebate estimate plus some. Not sure if having to pass on AutoPilot is a deal breaker.

I can not see how he can get it done at these prices but I am rooting for him because I want this car.

Personally I think if you are willing to spend more than $60,000 on a Model 3, you should splurge for a Model S. I voted $45000. I could spend more, But at that point I would be looking at a Models S.

I must admit I often look at the CPO Model S prices and think would I rather a new 3 or a CPO S if the 3 gets near 50k suddenly a CPO S makes sense if the prices keep dropping in the CPO market

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
Personally I think if you are willing to spend more than $60,000 on a Model 3, you should splurge for a Model S. I voted $45000. I could spend more, But at that point I would be looking at a Models S.

No. a comparably-equipped 3 will likely go further, and with my 1-car townhouse garage, a Model S would need Crisco down the sides to make it. (not to mention, 60K will get you more Model 3 options than on a Model S (especially since the base price will likely be going up even more and you can't even get a new S for <75K now as it is.......)

not everyone has the same situation as you.

Really? You think because I want a nicely loaded Model 3 that might cost $65k, that I should instead move to a similarly equipped Model S that will cost $105k, and not fit in my garage? (Besides price the main reasons I don't want a Model S are: it's size and that it is a hatchback.)