Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this and how to charge on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP here, thanks all for your observations and information. Armed with this knowledge I asked and found out that this was actually set up for me in a hurry by someone who has since left the company, after first seeing my Model S a year ago. An unfinished and mis-done project for sure. I'm not sure it's live but will ask them to shut off the breaker if it is.

I will take your advice and get the maintenance guy to have a proper electrician check the wire gauge, put it in conduit, and replace that cobbled together box with a 14-50 box with cover. Is a 60A breaker ok or does it need to be replaced with a 50A one? (I expect the answer will be the Tesla can handle it but someone else might get an unpleasant surprise). Thanks all.

Replace the breaker too... 14-50s need to be on a 50A breaker. Keeping a 60A breaker would not be code compliant -- and would be a risk...

Peter - if you do have dual chargers in your car, maybe consider buying an HPWC for that location and have them install that instead - that would give you 46 miles of charge recovered per hour rather than 23...

Doin Car Charging Adapters
Outlet-chart1.png

Hubbell 7301 Receptacle 4 Wire 60A 125 250V Used BUT Guaranteed Free Ship | eBay
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Edit: Guess it could be a 14-60, but check the wire size. It is hard to tell without something to compare size. Should be #6 if 60 amps and flammable wood inside the box is not allowed!! Looks prett sketchy regardless. What size breaker did they place?

Don't forget the bare wires (not in conduit or sheathing) along the wall, exposed terminals / no cover, etc. That installation is rather scary.