Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What income to afford a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a straightforward question.

As pointed out, no it isnt.

I am sure there are plenty of people with not enough income to even claim all of the tax credit due to lack of tax liability, yet enough money to buy one outright. Conversely there are probably people who dont qualify for the tax credit due to upper income limits, yet still not realistically be able to afford that car.

Stating it as a straightforward question either is quite a bit of naivete, or, an attempt to "lets get conversation going, gang!".

I think I'm just trying to justify the purchase since I've never bought a car at a 90-100k price point.

Very roughly speaking (assuming no crazy expenses other than mortgage) what multiple of that purchase price should your income be? I see financial gurus seem to all have their opinion but does 4x-5x make sense?

As stated above, there are lots of variables.
But to answer the question and using bank guidelines of about 10-15% of net income for an extended $100K note, about $120-150K might be typical.

Reactions: mikez10288
I think I'm just trying to justify the purchase since I've never bought a car at a 90-100k price point.

Very roughly speaking (assuming no crazy expenses other than mortgage) what multiple of that purchase price should your income be? I see financial gurus seem to all have their opinion but does 4x-5x make sense?
It really depends on your expense profile etc as everyone is saying. 4x-5x seems a bit too conservative IMO. That would imply a buyer of a 30k car should be earning 120k-150k, which doesn’t seem realistic in this day and age. And generally speaking, the higher your income goes, you can pretty comfortably dedicate a larger portion to discretionary expenses.

Personally speaking, I think $200k would be the lower limit of reasonable for buying a Plaid. I’m a fair bit above that with minimal expenses and still find myself wondering if I really should have done it, not that it’s causing any financial distress.

TheMoneyGuyShow guidance for a vehicle purchase is “20/3/8”
  • 20% down - avoid being immediately upside down on the loan
  • 3 year loan term - none of this 96 month loan garbage
  • Monthly payment of at most 8% of your gross pay - also less than your monthly retirement savings
  • Cash purchase for luxury vehicles, which I believe are currently defined as $50k or more

Reactions: WyoDude
It really depends on your expense profile etc as everyone is saying. 4x-5x seems a bit too conservative IMO. That would imply a buyer of a 30k car should be earning 120k-150k, which doesn’t seem realistic in this day and age. And generally speaking, the higher your income goes, you can pretty comfortably dedicate a larger portion to discretionary expenses.

Personally speaking, I think $200k would be the lower limit of reasonable for buying a Plaid. I’m a fair bit above that with minimal expenses and still find myself wondering if I really should have done it, not that it’s causing any financial distress.

Yep, I’m over 400K all in, but I don’t even consider spending that much on a car. My 2020 DM model 3 is amazing. Now, if I was single, no college funds to pay for etc etc. Maybe, but I doubt it. ….plus 400K in San Diego as opposed to most other areas is not a lot surprisingly.

Yep, I’m over 400K all in, but I don’t even consider spending that much on a car. My 2020 DM model 3 is amazing. Now, if I was single, no college funds to pay for etc etc. Maybe, but I doubt it. ….plus 400K in San Diego as opposed to most other areas is not a lot surprisingly.
Yeah I'm a young guy with no kids in a low cost of living area, so it's not a huge issue. But it's a luxury purchase for sure.

I'm in a similar position, 500k, also with a model 3 SR which was like $40k new. I guess a Plaid is possible, not sure if it makes sense over an S or X LR though.

Reactions: Iain
As stated above, there are lots of variables.
But to answer the question and using bank guidelines of about 10-15% of net income for an extended $100K note, about $120-150K might be typical.
That math is not mathing.

$100k loan at let’s say ~7% interest for 60 months is about a $2000 monthly payment.

To keep it at 10% of income, that would mean a net income of $240k, giving a gross of about $360k.

To keep it under 15%, that yields a net of $160k giving a gross of about $225k.

Reactions: WyoDude