Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if Autopilot Software is Already Alive/Aware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What can of worms would a dash can open?

They are lady have cameras looking fore and aft, right? Just record the last ~x hours of video to an SSD and offer the ability to offload it to USB and/or view it via app.

I can think of many worms in that can...

+ Tesla can get dragged into court and for lawsuits to validate dash cam videos
+ Tesla may get dragged into court and compelled to produce/disclose videos recorded by the car
+ Some customers may want audio recording and though that is possible with the car's microphone it is illegal in some jurisdictions
+ What if there is a major accident and the dash cam video is corrupted, I'm sure Tesla has better things to do that rebuild dash cam video files
+ Tesla will have to release software to manage the dash cam videos (perhaps those resources are better put to use improving the navigation system).
+ When that dash cam software has issues, wait till you read all the "I paid $100K for a car and it can't even record video" threads...
+ Tesla will have to support whiney users and all their dash cam problems. If you thought not having backup lines on the rear camera was bad...
+ It will basically be a thankless mess of worms for Tesla that will give them nothing but headaches.

They should just make available a 12V power source and let users install the best dash cam that meets their needs.

"What they should do is offer a spare 12V connection that you can plug into without messing with the wiring of the car and by most accounts it seems newer Model S cars now have an extra 12V power source that can be tapped in so the dash cam part of it is up to you and Tesla has done what they can in providing a useable power source.[/QUOTE]"
Any simple way to know if one's car has the extra 12v? Mine way delivered in May 2015 - 85D - ?

+ Tesla may get dragged into court and compelled to produce/disclose videos recorded by the car
+ Some customers may want audio recording and though that is possible with the car's microphone it is illegal in some jurisdictions
+ What if there is a major accident and the dash cam video is corrupted, I'm sure Tesla has better things to do that rebuild dash cam video files
+ Tesla will have to release software to manage the dash cam videos (perhaps those resources are better put to use improving the navigation system).
+ When that dash cam software has issues, wait till you read all the "I paid $100K for a car and it can't even record video" threads...
+ Tesla will have to support whiney users and all their dash cam problems. If you thought not having backup lines on the rear camera was bad...
+ It will basically be a thankless mess of worms for Tesla that will give them nothing but headaches.

They should just make available a 12V power source and let users install the best dash cam that meets their needs.

You could say the exact same things about any company that makes dash cams.

+ BlackVue can get dragged into court and for lawsuits to validate dash cam videos
+ BlackVue may get dragged into court and compelled to produce/disclose videos recorded by the camera
+ What if there is a major accident and the dash cam video is corrupted, I'm sure BlackVue has better things to do that rebuild dash cam video files
+ BlackVue will have to release software to manage the dash cam videos (perhaps those resources are better put to use improving the navigation system).
+ When that dash cam software has issues, wait till you read all the "I paid $600 for a dashcam and it can't even record video" threads...
+ BlackVue will have to support whiney users and all their dash cam problems. If you thought not having backup lines on the rear camera was bad...
+ It will basically be a thankless mess of worms for BlackVue that will give them nothing but headaches.

You could say the exact same things about any company that makes dash cams.

+ BlackVue can get dragged into court and for lawsuits to validate dash cam videos
+ BlackVue may get dragged into court and compelled to produce/disclose videos recorded by the camera
+ What if there is a major accident and the dash cam video is corrupted, I'm sure BlackVue has better things to do that rebuild dash cam video files
+ BlackVue will have to release software to manage the dash cam videos (perhaps those resources are better put to use improving the navigation system).
+ When that dash cam software has issues, wait till you read all the "I paid $600 for a dashcam and it can't even record video" threads...
+ BlackVue will have to support whiney users and all their dash cam problems. If you thought not having backup lines on the rear camera was bad...
+ It will basically be a thankless mess of worms for BlackVue that will give them nothing but headaches.

Except Tesla is in the business of selling cars and not dashcams. They have their hands full implementing what has been promised to add something else on their plate.

For the record, I'm a huge dash cam proponent. I think Tesla should leave a 12v power drop near the rearview mirror and with that getting the dash cam of your choice operational is not such a big deal. This way you can get the best dash cam that meets your needs.

This same conceptual argument could be used to suggest that Tesla shouldn't make AutoPilot (or really any features that generate exposure -- which, let's face it, is pretty much anything).

If there's no customer value, then yeah, sure don't do it. But I think folks are suggesting that there may be substantial customer value in the idea.

This same conceptual argument could be used to suggest that Tesla shouldn't make AutoPilot (or really any features that generate exposure -- which, let's face it, is pretty much anything).

If there's no customer value, then yeah, sure don't do it. But I think folks are suggesting that there may be substantial customer value in the idea.

Yes, you could extrapolate this to anything if you really try but Autopilot is an integral part of the car (steering, acceleration, braking, sensors) and the dash cam is a silly little camera sensor and storage for the video. There is a reason no auto manufacturer has yet to offer this functionality.

Also keep in mind that the front camera is optimized for autopilot and not necessarily for dash cam video.

Tesla has barely implemented being able to play a playlist in the media player and multiple stops in the navigation software or trip routing that actually works efficiently. I doubt they have extra developers sitting around to work on implementing dash cam software for the car.

Also some of the newer dash cams are going beyond 1080P. Some actually offer 3K recording and 4K might not be that far out. I believe tesla is now offering a 12V drop near the microphone so how hard is it really to buy the dash cam you want and plug that into the power source Tesla is giving?

I would like this as a feature in the car, and there is no disputing there is value as I feel every car should have a dash cam. I'm being realistic with expectations here. This is likely not a headache Tesla wants to get into anytime soon.

This is very interesting, I have been thinking about a dash cam and it would make the installation much easier. Can you provide any more info?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that is embarrassing, I searched and see the 12 volt info now. Very good news. But I wish it was hot 24 x 7.

rothermel--AFAIK the 12v in the headliner above the mike grille (if your build has the open connector) is always-on 12v. True on both of our cars (see builds below). You can certainly get a voltmeter, hook it up, face the display out the window, and close and lock the car. See what happens.