Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

If homekit can access the phones location sensors (which I assume it can) then you could create automations to automatically lock and unlock based on the location of the homekit users.

User enters geofence (or user connects to home wifi)
Nuki unlock door
Wait 5 minutes
Nuki lock door.

Therefore, no need to interact with any apps to lock/unlock.
There is definitely a “Connects to wifi“ option in HomeKit, I saw it earlier.

I may give that a test while wife is out!

Upvote 0
Interesting, I noticed it didn’t have the “Open Door” option, but you’re saying that Unlock in Homeki, is actually the equivalent of the Open Door button on the Nuki app?

Yes

In theory makes sense - if you have that based on your door then it’s the only way you can get into your house

Issue for me is no confirmation is asked - it just does it

Reactions: neil_c
Upvote 0
Yes

In theory makes sense - if you have that based on your door then it’s the only way you can get into your house

Issue for me is no confirmation is asked - it just does it
IMG_1604.png

Upvote 0
Sorry simple question- is that Nuki pro 3 simple to fit for someone who has limited DIY skills?
I have V limited (if any) DIY skills!

You unbox it, select your backplate (based on the type of lock), attach the backplate (mine is one that secures to the protruding part of the lock) and then clip the actual Nuki smart lock to the backplate. Job done.

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
How are people finding the smart locks having lived with them for a while now?

Some Black Friday deals have started.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Upvote 0
How are people finding the smart locks having lived with them for a while now?

Some Black Friday deals have started.
I’ve lived with my Nukis for many years. Couldn’t go back to carrying keys.

Upvote 0
Fitted a Yale Conexis L2 a few weeks ago.
Having read a bunch of reviews that said how difficult it was, I thought the instructions were excellent and very straightforward.

The app has been updated (Yale bought a US smart lock company and nicked their software apparently ).
Hardware feels very well made and sturdy both in installation and usage.

Cleaners and son #1 have RFID tags, but wife and I just use the Auto Unlock on the iPhone app, just like the Tesla.
Bought a bunch more tags as they’re only a few quid. Easy to code up in 30 seconds if you need to ‘cut’ a spare, or you can send a virtual key apparently.

No failures so far 🤞, but I do keep a spare backdoor key in the car just in case…

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
Upvote 0