Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Itā€™s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now weā€˜ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, itā€™s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

yup had that in my 'journey'. Nuki sells a replacement universal cylinder but its expensive. thats why I tried the thumbturn because that by default has to work with a key in the lock. I'd trodden on too many rakes up to then

- ultion nuki cylinder had wrong retaining hole (didn't know they were different for different doors). Also was too short for the holes on my door
- next replacement cylidner with correct retaining position and 'emergency' function (can use key outside while key is inside) turns out the outer key pushes the inner key, they can't both be fully inserted.
- gave up and tried thumbturn - that yale one shown above works even without an adapter (although Nuki are posting me one for free anyway)
Thank you, what you suggested worked (kinda) šŸ‘€

The issues I have areā€¦

I still canā€™t operate the lock with a key from the outside (maybe thatā€™s easily solvable by just getting a lock cylinder that allows this feature?)

The lock is not locking.

The Nuki certainly turns, but the lock doesnt lock into the locked position.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
When buying replacement cylinder locks, try to find the anti-snap versions. Usually they're only a few Ā£s more.

Also, think carefully about installing a thumbturn if your door contains any glass that could easily be smashed to give access to the thumbturn.
Thatā€™s a good point and one I hadnā€™t thought about, but if the Nuki has locked the door, itā€™s not an issue.

Unless Iā€™ve misunderstood?

Upvote 0
Iā€™ve just ordered one on a 30 minute delivery from Screwfix.

that thickness may need an adapter - nuki will send for free if you get the correct shape needed. My gamble on the Yale was that the nuki has a little slot for keys and the yale thumb turn is thin. Worked out but most thumb turns are pretty thick so would need to be removed (and you put a little hexagonal adapter on which keys in with the nuki)

If the point of a thumbturn is ease of escape in case of fire then I think its reasonable. Although it'll be covered by the nuki that then has a button you can press to lock/unlock. You can disabel that in the settings but for emergencies I may leave it on. Don't want to be fiddling with apps if you need to evacuate the house

Reactions: neil_c
Upvote 0
maybe

mine was a schlosser but also had 'emergency' mode so you can still open if there is a key on the inside. But as I mentioned, their implementation pushed the internal key out which meant it wouldn't work. Rather than keeping going down that route I bought the yale lock in that link with the thumb turn which *does* work

fingers crossed - they don't go into that amount of detail about how the emergency mode works. Nuki and similar makes could be better at sharing caveats around that and maybe a list of brands they know that have compatible modes.

also the plastic keyfob cover is quite thick - not sure what the limit is on the nuki to fit over it.

Tune in later for the next installment of - people blindly stumble through fitting something because the company doesn't give enough info to do it the first time..

Upvote 0
that thickness may need an adapter - nuki will send for free if you get the correct shape needed. My gamble on the Yale was that the nuki has a little slot for keys and the yale thumb turn is thin. Worked out but most thumb turns are pretty thick so would need to be removed (and you put a little hexagonal adapter on which keys in with the nuki)

If the point of a thumbturn is ease of escape in case of fire then I think its reasonable. Although it'll be covered by the nuki that then has a button you can press to lock/unlock. You can disabel that in the settings but for emergencies I may leave it on. Don't want to be fiddling with apps if you need to evacuate the house
You can literally turn the Nuki ā€œwheelā€ by hand if you donā€™t want to wait for it turn turn having pressed the button or thereā€™s an issue. The Nuki will recognise the key being turned and update its status to correlate with the position of the key. I often do this when opening the door, if Iā€™m in a hurry to get it open.

Upvote 0
You can literally turn the Nuki ā€œwheelā€ by hand if you donā€™t want to wait for it turn turn having pressed the button or thereā€™s an issue. The Nuki will recognise the key being turned and update its status to correlate with the position of the key. I often do this when opening the door, if Iā€™m in a hurry to get it open.

thanks. in that case I might disable the button

Upvote 0
I was hoping HomeKit means you can access remotely in case someone doesnā€™t have a key and doesnā€™t have the app (although you can just send them an invite..)

Otherwise you need the bridge/hub to do that from the nuki app.

However I donā€™t know if HomeKit lets me *open* the door which is the only young id need it to do. If not then Iā€™d have to get the hub

Upvote 0
I was hoping HomeKit means you can access remotely in case someone doesnā€™t have a key and doesnā€™t have the app (although you can just send them an invite..)

Otherwise you need the bridge/hub to do that from the nuki app.

However I donā€™t know if HomeKit lets me *open* the door which is the only young id need it to do. If not then Iā€™d have to get the hub
My Pro 3.0 allows me to lock, unlock and open door, which is super cool (Also remotely, as it has WiFi built in).

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m wondering what HomeKit can offer over and above the Nuki app and if itā€™s even worth it.

iOS Widgetā€¦

473b2402-9adc-40ae-9f9c-95e49e0fb7e0.jpeg

Upvote 0
Only benefit is that you can get away with using one less app if you already use the Apple Home app to manage other devices. Also means other family members can access the lock without having to download the app if they're members of your Apple Home - something to consider if your other half is as allergic to this kind of new stuff as mine is
Your last point is a great one.

Sheā€™s not into smart tech as much as I am, so if HomeKit means she doesnā€™t have to deal with ā€œanother appā€, thatā€™s a win.

Can you elaborate on how HomeKit could eliminate the Nuki app for her?

Having said that, she doesnā€™t use HomeKit now, so sheā€™d have to lean that!

Upvote 0
Ok just read up a bit

Pro for HomeKit
- easier to give access to others
- remote access when away from home without needing a bridge (assuming you have a HomeKit hub like Apple TV)

Con
- if you have a knob on the outside that doesnā€™t activate the latch that means your nuki will have lock/unlock/open as three options. Choose ā€˜openā€™ and there is a second prompt to make sure you want to open.
HomeKit only has two - lock/unlock. For these doors unlock will open your door. Good if you want to get in. Bad if youā€™re 100 miles away and accidentally hit unlock in HomeKit as there is no confirmation prompt

So arguably a security risk with HomeKit for doors like line with a knob on the outside

Reactions: Cardo and neil_c
Upvote 0
If homekit can access the phones location sensors (which I assume it can) then you could create automations to automatically lock and unlock based on the location of the homekit users.

User enters geofence (or user connects to home wifi)
Nuki unlock door
Wait 5 minutes
Nuki lock door.

Therefore, no need to interact with any apps to lock/unlock.

Upvote 0
- if you have a knob on the outside that doesnā€™t activate the latch that means your nuki will have lock/unlock/open as three options. Choose ā€˜openā€™ and there is a second prompt to make sure you want to open.
HomeKit only has two - lock/unlock. For these doors unlock will open your door.
Interesting, I noticed it didnā€™t have the ā€œOpen Doorā€ option, but youā€™re saying that Unlock in Homeki, is actually the equivalent of the Open Door button on the Nuki app?

Reactions: Mrklaw
Upvote 0