Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

I think so. The inside has a built in thing instead of a key to unlock

Edit: this kind of thing

yale-3-star-door-thumbturn-cylinder-600x600.jpg

Upvote 0
Yep I think so. It asks a few questions when you go to order the lock
I’ve ended up buying one of those just to be sure the key can work from the outside properly. Bloody minefield honestly.

(also the handle on the inside turns very close to the nuki when installed. I’ll put money on my wife complaining about that)
Didn't think about that, no doubt my Mrs will complain about that same thing...

One thing I am worried about it being able to unlock the door by pressing a button with a toddler around

Upvote 0
ok yale cylinder arrived. Little fussy installing it as I already had the Nuki plate stuck on so it had to go on from the outside, which meant removing the thumb turn.

Rather than wait for the adapter, I experimented with dry fitting and it seemed like the nuki would fit over the thumb turn (its fairly thin). So I fiddled to get the grub screw back in (you need the nuki faceplate on first so access is tricky - probably easier to wait) and - success! it can unlock, open and lock successfully. and the key can still go in from outside.

Upvote 0
ok yale cylinder arrived. Little fussy installing it as I already had the Nuki plate stuck on so it had to go on from the outside, which meant removing the thumb turn.

Rather than wait for the adapter, I experimented with dry fitting and it seemed like the nuki would fit over the thumb turn (its fairly thin). So I fiddled to get the grub screw back in (you need the nuki faceplate on first so access is tricky - probably easier to wait) and - success! it can unlock, open and lock successfully. and the key can still go in from outside.
This is exactly how I have one of my locks. I have this same cylinder with the included thumb turn (no need for an adapter). As with you, it was a bit fiddly to re-attach the thumb turn after getting it on with the plate in place, but it works just right.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Upvote 0
**[Update]**

I have arriving today, the following 2 items:

fingers crossed. For two doors presumably or are you hedging your bets?

The issue I had with the ultion is the retaining hole wasn’t in the correct place for my door so it didn’t fit. also my door handle was bigger than it supports (240mm and it maxes at 212 I think)

Upvote 0
fingers crossed. For two doors presumably or are you hedging your bets?

The issue I had with the ultion is the retaining hole wasn’t in the correct place for my door so it didn’t fit. also my door handle was bigger than it supports (240mm and it maxes at 212 I think)
It‘s just for the front door, so hedging my bets.

I’ll keep everyone posted. 👀

Upvote 0
Did the kit come with what you needed to remove the thumb turn? Just had a look at mine and to my surprise it's not a normal screw so I'm not sure how I'm going to remove it (I've got that same Yale lock I posted above)

the nuki comes with a very small allen key which is designed for one of teh mounting plates if your lock sticks out a bit. I think its too small for the screw on the yale lock though.

I had a bunch of random allen keys from befroe and one of those fitted. Or you could probably notch out the plastic on the nuki mounting plate so you can insert the cylinder from the inside through the door? That may be better. Once I'd put the cylinder in I wasn't able to retighten the screw on the thumb turn properly - had to use needle nose pliers so its enough but not tight.

Upvote 0
Update time…

I have successfully installed the Nuki Smart Lock 3.0 Pro.

However, unless I’m missing something, it’s useless from the outside, as when it unlocks it appears not to turn the key that last little bit that allows you to actually open the door.

It certainly turns the key from locked to unlocked, but when doing it manually you have to turn the key against a bit of resistance to actually move the lock (if that makes sense?).

I also had to change the lock cylinder to one that stuck out more on the inside, as the base plate couldn‘t attach to the old one.

Upvote 0
the nuki comes with a very small allen key which is designed for one of teh mounting plates if your lock sticks out a bit. I think its too small for the screw on the yale lock though.

I had a bunch of random allen keys from befroe and one of those fitted. Or you could probably notch out the plastic on the nuki mounting plate so you can insert the cylinder from the inside through the door? That may be better. Once I'd put the cylinder in I wasn't able to retighten the screw on the thumb turn properly - had to use needle nose pliers so its enough but not tight.
Correct. It’s to turn the little grub screws on the base plate, so they grip on to the lock cylinder.

Upvote 0
Update time…

I have successfully installed the Nuki Smart Lock 3.0 Pro.

However, unless I’m missing something, it’s useless from the outside, as when it unlocks it appears not to turn the key that last little bit that allows you to actually open the door.

It certainly turns the key from locked to unlocked, but when doing it manually you have to turn the key against a bit of resistance to actually move the lock (if that makes sense?).

I also had to change the lock cylinder to one that stuck out more on the inside, as the base plate couldn‘t attach to the old one.

for me, my door has
- a handle on the inside you turn to open the latch
- a short stubby handle on the outside that only engages/disengages the multipoint - it doesn't turn the latch

to get in from outside I have to use a key to turn the latch normally.

With the Nuki I can

- lock/unlock which just moves the deadbolt. I still turn the handle on the inside to get out. If I want to engage the multipoint I also use the handles still
- 'open door' which unlocks if necessary, but then continues to turn and pulls open the latch. By default its set to 3 seconds but if calibrated it should be enough to be able to push/pull open the door from the outside

if your door is the same, check you've told it what kind you have. I set mine to 'bar/knob on outside' which I think is what tells it it needs to add the open door. And redo calibration with the door open to check its moving the latch

Upvote 0
for me, my door has
- a handle on the inside you turn to open the latch
- a short stubby handle on the outside that only engages/disengages the multipoint - it doesn't turn the latch

Same for me.

to get in from outside I have to use a key to turn the latch normally.

Same again.

With the Nuki I can

- lock/unlock which just moves the deadbolt. I still turn the handle on the inside to get out. If I want to engage the multipoint I also use the handles still
- 'open door' which unlocks if necessary, but then continues to turn and pulls open the latch. By default its set to 3 seconds but if calibrated it should be enough to be able to push/pull open the door from the outside

if your door is the same, check you've told it what kind you have. I set mine to 'bar/knob on outside' which I think is what tells it it needs to add the open door. And redo calibration with the door open to check its moving the latch

I’m going to recheck that now.

I’ve just discovered another issue.

It appears this new cylinder does not allow you to open the door from outside with the key, when there is a key in the lock on the inside. 😳

Upvote 0
It appears this new cylinder does not allow you to open the door from outside with the key, when there is a key in the lock on the inside. 😳

yup had that in my 'journey'. Nuki sells a replacement universal cylinder but its expensive. thats why I tried the thumbturn because that by default has to work with a key in the lock. I'd trodden on too many rakes up to then

- ultion nuki cylinder had wrong retaining hole (didn't know they were different for different doors). Also was too short for the holes on my door
- next replacement cylidner with correct retaining position and 'emergency' function (can use key outside while key is inside) turns out the outer key pushes the inner key, they can't both be fully inserted.
- gave up and tried thumbturn - that yale one shown above works even without an adapter (although Nuki are posting me one for free anyway)

Upvote 0