Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your dashcam? Why did you get one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far I really like the F750. I like the REC button, so you can keep events that did not trigger automatic saving (like someone doing something stupid), I use to hit my Blackview to create an event, but that just seems wrong.
I'm investigating this DashCam and I came across this critique:
"Good form factor but 70 second boot time is a huge negative."
Anyone have a comment?
Thinkware F550 | Dash Cam Talk

I'm investigating this DashCam and I came across this critique:
"Good form factor but 70 second boot time is a huge negative."
Anyone have a comment?
Thinkware F550 | Dash Cam Talk

I don't know anything about this particular dashcam. But I'll still comment on the criticism of the 70-second boot time.

If you're planning on using the dashcam in a Tesla, you're probably planning on having it on at all times, so that you can monitor things when you are parked as well as when you are driving. The power draw should not be an issue, since our 12V batteries recharge from the traction packs. So the boot time should not be an issue for you since you'll essentially be booting the system once, and then leaving it on. (Yes, there will be times when you will be rebooting, but it won't be a daily occurrence.)

I don't see why the long boot time would be a negative for the way you are likely to use the dashcam.

I use mine to dispute speeding tickets, record wrecks around me, and most recently, get a trucking company to pay for a brand new windshield because one of their trucks chucked a rock up into the air and the dash cam caught it all.

You mention getting a trucking company to pay because their truck was responsible for launching a rock in the road into your windshield. I'm interested in how that works, and just why the trucking company was responsible, if the rock was just a hazard in the road. I ask, because when I made this video:

it never even dawned on me that if there had been damage to the car behind me, I could have been held responsible. Your post implies that perhaps I could have been, so I'm interested in learning more, as this is a subject I know little about.

4513.31 Securing loads on vehicles.
(A) No vehicle shall be driven or moved on any highway unless the vehicle is so constructed, loaded, or covered as to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking, or otherwise escaping therefrom, except that sand or other substance may be dropped for the purpose of securing traction, or water or other substance may be sprinkled on a roadway in cleaning or maintaining the roadway.

(B) Except for a farm vehicle used to transport agricultural produce or agricultural production materials or a rubbish vehicle in the process of acquiring its load, no vehicle loaded with garbage, swill, cans, bottles, waste paper, ashes, refuse, trash, rubbish, waste, wire, paper, cartons, boxes, glass, solid waste, or any other material of an unsanitary nature that is susceptible to blowing or bouncing from a moving vehicle shall be driven or moved on any highway unless the load is covered with a sufficient cover to prevent the load or any part of the load from spilling onto the highway.

In Ohio at least, vehicles such as dump trucks, construction trailers, landscaping trailers are responsible for covering and/or securing their loads. So, for example, a landscaping company doing 70mph down the highway with an uncovered trailer of mulch blowing every which way would be in violation of said law. Lucky for you, no real damage from blowing mulch around.

Dump trucks/construction trailers are no different. You have mud and rocks that could either be caked onto construction equipment or being hulled in bulk from location to location. At the gravel yards, they have rumble strips the trucks drive over to dislodge any loose material so it falls off there instead of out on the road.

Now out on the road, if debris falls off the truck and hits the ground and then in turn hits your car, guess what? Your fault, you just hit a road hazard. However, if the debris falls off the truck and onto your car, causing damage, guess what? Not your fault. The trick is two-fold though. You need to prove it came off the truck and hit you directly, and you need to prove there was damage.

Fortunately or unfortunately in my case, the dash cam caught a rock falling off the back of the truck onto the spinning tire. The rock then proceeded to fly up into the air and then land at a downward trajectory about six inches to the left of the dash cam. You can see it's entire flight path on it's fateful journey.

Now the adjuster was completely up front and said that in 90% of cases he denies windshield claims like mine for lack of proof. But in my case, you really couldn't ask for a better example of why to have a dash cam. 1080p/45fps was good enough in this case. However, I think 60fps would be better for the future.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
For further reading, please note this article and the signs on the back of the truck. They specifically mention my points, "Stay Back 100ft" because in that distance, you could get hit with a rock that hasn't hit the ground yet. And second, "Not responsible for objects thrown from road", or in other words, if it hits the ground first, it's not their fault.

Rock from truck cracks your windshield: Now what?

This is why if you are in doubt about what happened, the debris ALWAYS went straight from the truck to your car. If you don't take that stance, you'll be dismissed out of hand. I'm not telling you to lie, just give it some thought and be sure of what really happened. Because if you admit there is a chance it did hit the ground, you are paying the deductible.

Thanks! This makes sense.

The disconnect between what I had been thinking and what happened in your case is that the rock actually came off the truck in the first place. The way you had initially written it--"because one of their trucks chucked a rock up into the air and the dash cam caught it all." made it sound like the rock--like the box in my video--had just been in the road.

So my thinking was generally correct. The trucking company was responsible because it was their rock, and you could prove it!

Here's a short clip of a vehicle not stopping in a 4 way stop. You can imagine if there was a pedestrian or vehicle in the intersection, something bad may have happened. Good thing I was far enough away that I was safe. From the video, it looks as if the driver totally missed the stop sign...the vehicle did not even slow down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a serious question for those of you with dashcams, as I am considering getting one, and am wondering how others are using them.

I'm wondering what else is done with them, if anything? I mean I understand that you can record videos of your drives and save them, etc., but realistically how many videos like that do you save?
This is why I have a dashcam in addition to accident recording.
Here are the links to recording captured by the Blackvue in chronological order:

I taped the power line to my dashcam that I put in front of the rear view mirror along the upper edge of the windshield with double sided tape that I had cut into thin strips. It lasted for over a year, then this spring, when the interior of our Model S was reading about 40 degrees C it all fell down, including the dashcam itself. I used some spots of gel superglue to put it back up. I assume this is the only way to do this?

Also, was driving down the highway behind a semi when one of his front inside tires blew and luckily for me by the time it went under the length of the truck it had flattened enough so it just displaced the front and front left panel a bit. Pushed them back in and looks fine.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Also, was driving down the highway behind a semi when one of his front inside tires blew and luckily for me by the time it went under the length of the truck it had flattened enough so it just displaced the front and front left panel a bit. Pushed them back in and looks fine.

Wow, close call. That could have been pretty disastrous. I had someone's detached retread redesign the front end of my old Altima.

BTW, love that profile picture. :cool:

Reactions: supratachophobia
I taped the power line to my dashcam that I put in front of the rear view mirror along the upper edge of the windshield with double sided tape that I had cut into thin strips. It lasted for over a year, then this spring, when the interior of our Model S was reading about 40 degrees C it all fell down, including the dashcam itself. I used some spots of gel superglue to put it back up. I assume this is the only way to do this?

Uhhh, really close call. Have you seen that Mythbusters where they test that myth??? Truck tires in all forms are deadly. Deadly if one rolls over you, deadly if they over inflate, deadly if they disintegrate, deadly if they blow out. Hell, they may even kill you without even being on a truck by tipping over and crushing you.