Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your dashcam? Why did you get one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other advice is once a month or so, remove the memory card and make sure your Dashcam is recording! It's like having daily backups done, but never testing if you can restore from those backups.

My LUKAS dashcam seemed like it was working fine, but every once in a while (2 or 3 times a day) it would just reboot. Turns out that it got out of sync with itself and wasn't deleting the old files in a loop fashion, and was constantly running out of space. It hadn't actually recorded anything in about 3 weeks time. So I just reformatted the SD card and now it's working great. (The sync problem hasn't returned).

It's also good to get the memory card loaded up and make sure you have any vendor specific software loaded (and know how to use it!).. as well as any codecs that may be necessary. (A chinese dashcam I once had required a really obscure coded, which I was able to find).

Im having it installed later this week at Mobile Solutions in Calgary. In theory it's installation should be no different than other front and rear camera systems out there. Ideally to enable the parking mode, it requires to be connected to both a constant 12V and one that turns off when the car is off. This way it knows when to switch in and out of park mode. It has a 1080P rear camera that is far superior to the Blackvue's 720P rear camera (as you can see in many YouTube reviews comparing the two cameras). So will not be using the Tesla rear cam.

I'll post again a review of the Thinkware after its mounted. I'll also be able to tell you how they wired it.
Well this just went on my Christmas short list. I'm looking forward to the follow-up with wiring and mounting.

I guess it would also be a Good Idea to get a couple extra media cards to rotate, putting a fresh one in when you do the above monthly check, or when you have to use some of the footage. So there's something in there to record with when the first one is out of the camera.

Memory's so cheap now.

After reading how many on this Forum have the dual channel Blackvue 650, I looked into buying it. But after spending a lot of time on the Dashcamtalk forums, I quickly realized there are superior systems out there. Eventually I bought the dual channel Thinkware F750. Except for the slightly larger size of the front camera it is superior to the Blackvue in both features and video quality. And it is easily available to buy at my local Best Buy.

I have the BlackVue 5xx series (one camera) installed but it wigged out re: GPS and timestamps. I think the battery needs to be replaced but that's somewhat involved for this device, unfortunately. For the next device I get, hopefully that particular design fail won't repeat.

Thanks for sharing the name of the one you like.

Looking at the website [http://thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F750], I had some comments and questions:

"Continuous Recording: ... when you start the engine...."
How does this work in the Model S?

"Parking Surveillance Mode: ... protect your car from hit-and-run accidents."
Sloppy language IMO, unless it really somehow creates a protective force-field around the vehicle. (In which case, I totally want one.)

"Incident Recording: .... 10 seconds prior to and after the impact ..."
IIRC, BlackVue's is 5 seconds -- nice improvement.

"Automatic Switching between Parking Mode and Continuous Mode: ... ignition ... The optional hardwiring cable...."
I prefer BlackVue's approach of toggling based on vehicle motion rather than some notion of "on".

"Recording Time: ... supports UHS-1 microSD memory card up to 64GB"
Nice to see them explicitly list 64GB support. BlackVue only indicates 32GB is supported, though many of us found 64GB to work once you get the card externally formatted.

"Thermal Self-Protection, No Overheating"
Definitely good to see this seeming improvement over BlackVue.

I didn't see any info on this page about whether you could pull the footage off the camera directly over wifi. With my BlackVue, I could connect from a PC (two netcards -- one to the car, one to the house wifi) to extract the video from FTP and put it on a server in my house.

From the owner's manual, they appear to have iOS and Android flavored mobile apps but no love for Windows Phone. No worse than BlackVue, but no better.

I didn't see any info on this page about whether you could pull the footage off the camera directly over wifi. With my BlackVue, I could connect from a PC (two netcards -- one to the car, one to the house wifi) to extract the video from FTP and put it on a server in my house.

You can with the apps, but apparently once downloaded to the phone, it lives in the app only (at least on iOS) and can't be forwarded, emailed, etc. Perhaps in an update...

I read somewhere that the thing connects to two 12V power sources; one on all the time, the other on when the ignition is on, which in Tesla terms means when it is out of Park. Presumably, when it sees only the all-the-time power source it puts itself in "Parking mode".

I read somewhere that the thing connects to two 12V power sources; one on all the time, the other on when the ignition is on, which in Tesla terms means when it is out of Park. Presumably, when it sees only the all-the-time power source it puts itself in "Parking mode".

The model S turns on with the brake pedal (and off after your butt leaves the seat), not the gear selection.

I plugged it into the constant 12V socket in the microphone grille, so it records 24/7.

"Automatic Switching between Parking Mode and Continuous Mode: ... ignition ... The optional hardwiring cable...."
I prefer BlackVue's approach of toggling based on vehicle motion rather than some notion of "on".

I agree. The only reason I let it record 24/7 is because there's no spare "switched" 12V socket near the mic grille. I would definitely prefer not to record continuously when parked, since that reduces memory card life.

"Recording Time: ... supports UHS-1 microSD memory card up to 64GB"
Nice to see them explicitly list 64GB support. BlackVue only indicates 32GB is supported, though many of us found 64GB to work once you get the card externally formatted.
I've actually been using a 128GB microSDXC card without issue.

I agree. The only reason I let it record 24/7 is because there's no spare "switched" 12V socket near the mic grille. I would definitely prefer not to record continuously when parked, since that reduces memory card life.
You can tap the switched 12V source for the mirror, the wire is right in front of the mic grill area (see pics here: Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)? - Page 7) I know people don't like taping wires, but a Posi-Tap is very safe and easy to use.

So far I really like the F750. I like the REC button, so you can keep events that did not trigger automatic saving (like someone doing something stupid), I use to hit my Blackview to create an event, but that just seems wrong. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The model S turns on with the brake pedal (and off after your butt leaves the seat), not the gear selection.
The ACC power (at least the in the rear view mirror +12V wire) seems to come on as soon as you open the door.

The F750 plays a little wake up tune when it comes out of parking mode, and tells you how many parking events there were, and it does this as soon as I open the door.

The ACC power (at least the in the rear view mirror +12V wire) seems to come on as soon as you open the door.

The F750 plays a little wake up tune when it comes out of parking mode, and tells you how many parking events there were, and it does this as soon as I open the door.

Yes, that is correct. My intention was that the ACC power isn't related to the gear setting.

I don't get why auto manufactures don't include dashcam as an option, implement the camera into the rear view mirror.
Many cars radio already have LCD screen build-in, just adding the map and direction cost over a thousand (hint Tesla). They can charge a ton of money and most people will still willing to pay for it.

Reactions: seclinton
You can tap the switched 12V source for the mirror, the wire is right in front of the mic grill area (see pics here: Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)? - Page 7) I know people don't like taping wires, but a Posi-Tap is very safe and easy to use.

That does sound really convenient.

I'm going to take a look at bollar's install, and I might try adding a tapped connection to the switched cable if I decide to go with the F750

I don't get why auto manufactures don't include dashcam as an option, implement the camera into the rear view mirror.
Many cars radio already have LCD screen build-in, just adding the map and direction cost over a thousand (hint Tesla). They can charge a ton of money and most people will still willing to pay for it.

+1000000000000

Seems like a no brainer business-wise. I would have definitely purchased a dashcam if it was an option when buying the car.

I plugged it into the constant 12V socket in the microphone grille, so it records 24/7.

I've actually been using a 128GB microSDXC card without issue.

The 12V accessory socket is only powered on when the screens are on. I have my Mobius plugged into it using a 15ft cable. Super easy installation with no permanent modifications and no tape. Just have the wire through the passenger visor, tucked under the door weather seal down to the dashboard, then under the mat from the back of the footwell to the side of the seat next to the socket. The wire isn't all that concealed, but good enough for me and there's pretty much zero risk of breaking something or voiding warranty.

The Mobius supports microSDXC. I have a 64GB card with a fat32 file system and it works great.

I want a rear cam, but I don't really want to disassemble parts of my car to get the wire back there and there doesn't seem to be much else that can practically be done.

What should I do if I need a dashcam that would capture the dash screen and the road in front? I want to capture the AP graphics that show up and the road conditions ahead of me. A camera fixed right on top of the seat head rest should be able to do it, or two cameras on two channels that would record on a PIP mode.

What should I do if I need a dashcam that would capture the dash screen and the road in front? I want to capture the AP graphics that show up and the road conditions ahead of me. A camera fixed right on top of the seat head rest should be able to do it, or two cameras on two channels that would record on a PIP mode.

If you wanted to use two cameras I imagine any of the two-channel cameras would work, with the main camera set up in the usual way, and the rear camera set up to shoot capture the IC.

Want to see what's really happening? See what this guy has! See the TMC Thread: The 1st 8 Cameras Dash Cam capturing Autopilot V7 in public

I have the BlackVue 650-2CH - the only downside I have found is that when I put in the rear facing camera it made the rear-window removable screen un-usable, but not much of an sacrifice anyway. With BlackVue's new "Cloud" and "Wi-Fi" functions you can easily access your camera or the recordings on your smartphone or tablet or PC.

There is a problem with the Tesla front windshield in that it doesn't allow the camera's GPS and Speed functions to work all of the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Like so many have said before, I don't watch it every day, but just like insurance, you don't need it until you need it.....