Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What category of car did your Tesla replace?

What type of car did your Tesla replace?

• Sports or Luxury

Votes: 120 43.8%
  • Efficient Hybrid (>40mpg)

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Other Hybrid (<40mpg)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Truck/SUV

Votes: 36 13.1%
  • Plugin Vehicle (BEV or PHEV)

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • None, did not sell/trade another vehicle.

Votes: 28 10.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was getting rid of an 8-year-old Mazda 6 station wagon ("other") and before Tesla appeared on my radar I was looking at entry-level sport/luxury (Lexus IS350). But I was NOT feeling good about 18mpg city and premium fuel.

Since buying it, the Model S has also "replaced" our Honda CR-V as the primary road-trip car.

It replaced my Jeep Wrangler that I heavily modified, went from a 14 mile round trip commute to work to a 84 mile... That Jeep was a beast in the mountains though
Yeah, I felt a bit strange buying an '01 Sport this past fall when I know full well my next car will be a Tesla.

Talk about a transition. 18mpg to......traveling on sunshine.

You know what my take-away from this thread turned out to be?

Simply that my first assumption that Tesla owners were in the upper percentile for disposable income is likely incorrect!

Based on the vehicles that are being replaced, Tesla is not selling strictly to people who have grown bored with their 911 or S-class Benz. I thought I was perhaps on the edge of being worthy of entry into the group, because I go to work everyday and will realistically have to do so for some years yet. But I realize I'm likely not the only one living in that reality. The car is expensive and I suspect, more costly than many people here would consider if it were any other car!

But it's not 'any other car' and it's not a toy like the aforementioned 911 was meant to symbolize. My sense of things is telling me that the average buyer is making the purchase for a great number of reasons that are likely not overly applicable to the purchase of any ICE alternative. And many are likely stretching, or adjusting their priorities, to make the purchase work.

This realization makes me want to buy Tesla stock... because I can only imagine how the promised 'for the masses' model will sell when it becomes available, competitively priced with the ICE Rube Goldberg machines! :biggrin:

You know what my take-away from this thread turned out to be?

Simply that my first assumption that Tesla owners were in the upper percentile for disposable income is likely incorrect!

Based on the vehicles that are being replaced, Tesla is not selling strictly to people who have grown bored with their 911 or S-class Benz. I thought I was perhaps on the edge of being worthy of entry into the group, because I go to work everyday and will realistically have to do so for some years yet. But I realize I'm likely not the only one living in that reality. The car is expensive and I suspect, more costly than many people here would consider if it were any other car!

But it's not 'any other car' and it's not a toy like the aforementioned 911 was meant to symbolize. My sense of things is telling me that the average buyer is making the purchase for a great number of reasons that are likely not overly applicable to the purchase of any ICE alternative. And many are likely stretching, or adjusting their priorities, to make the purchase work.

This realization makes me want to buy Tesla stock... because I can only imagine how the promised 'for the masses' model will sell when it becomes available, competitively priced with the ICE Rube Goldberg machines! :biggrin:

I completely agree. I would say its absolutely safe to say that Model S owners coming from other luxury vehicles (proportionally) is way lower than new owners of an S-Class, Maserati, etc. I fit into that camp. I have the income to be able to afford an S-Class or other high-end luxury vehicle, but that was not on my radar at all. I mean, zero percent. If you would've told me 2 months ago I'd be driving a $100k sedan, I would've told you that you obviously don't me at all. I'm buying it for so many different reasons, and the last of which is for any type of status.

I've never been more excited for a vehicle in my life, I can tell you that much!

If you would've told me 2 months ago I'd be driving a $100k sedan, I would've told you that you obviously don't me at all. I'm buying it for so many different reasons, and the last of which is for any type of status.
I'm on my 4th car in nearly 40 years of car ownership. I was out of my comfort zone when I spent over $40K on a Lexus SUV so budgeting over $100k is not something expected of me. Status means nothing to me.
Yeah, I'm excited. It won't be in my garage until 2016 but I'm already planning trips.

I completely agree. I would say its absolutely safe to say that Model S owners coming from other luxury vehicles (proportionally) is way lower than new owners of an S-Class, Maserati, etc. I fit into that camp. I have the income to be able to afford an S-Class or other high-end luxury vehicle, but that was not on my radar at all. I mean, zero percent. If you would've told me 2 months ago I'd be driving a $100k sedan, I would've told you that you obviously don't me at all. I'm buying it for so many different reasons, and the last of which is for any type of status.

I've never been more excited for a vehicle in my life, I can tell you that much!
Yup. If it weren't for Tesla, I doubt I would have bothered to wait years to save up for a car, maybe buying a used Prius or something (I kind of doubt PHEVs would exist now without Tesla either). I'm quite introverted and not really a fan of attention, so I don't exactly like the idea of my car being a status car. I do, however, want Tesla to get some positive attention, so I'm happy to show people the car and talk about it.

My Model S replaced a 2009 Holden (GM) Utility which averaged 9.9L\100KM. (23.76 US MPG)
VEuteRHF.jpg

Average energy usage of my Model S is 205 Wh\KM which an on-line converter calculates as 2.31L\100KMe. (101.72 US MPGe)

Last edited:
Replaced a 2001 M3. The original motivation was to get a bigger car for my growing family but at least as fast as my M3, so I bought the best car I could find. I was thinking about keeping both.

But the S P85, exceeding my expectations, made the M3 seem as old-fashioned as a steam locomotive. So I sold the M3 to my father-in-law, a (gas) car guy who's pined after my M3 ever since I got it in 2001. The S is my sole car, making me "gas free":

Tesla Model S - Gas Free

Our P85D replaces our Chevy Volt, which replaced a Chrysler 300 3 years before. We loved the way the Volt drove and though the T would be a Volt on steroids, it is! We are retired with health issues, decided to use our retirement moneys, our car's name is Bucket List. license BCTLIST