Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are people that bought Full FSD doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid the 15K for FSD back in September 2022 and really do not use it much. When an update comes out I will use it a small amount to check for improvements and usually stop using it because it is just way easier and smoother for me to drive. I think the hard part for FSD is context. For instance there are some roads where I live that still do not have established speed limits-who knows why. There are a couple of urban roads where clearly the speed limit should be in the 35/45mph range but FSD thinks it is 55mph so goes that fast unless I manually slow the car. Not the fault of FSD on the surface but I understand that these roads are unmarked for speed limit so drive what for me is a safe speed, whereas FSD is just using a number it got somewhere in a database that is not correct. Perhaps when FSD starts using some sort of neural net AI it will get better at context and drive accordingly. I paid the 15k with eyes open, realizing I was paying big bucks for some beta software. I paid that on the good faith that eventually it will work well enough to be usable without human intervention or human worry:) The thing about Musk is he is part semi-genius and part master of hype so you get great cars and SpaceX but you also get a lot of promises unfulfilled. FSD is definitely not a scam, but I wonder if Tesla's FSD approach is doomed or will eventually be true FSD after enough work. Let's say that they get FSD working flawlessly but had to add a lot more sensors that they took off the cars before, or the cars never had because Musk said were not needed. At this point I am waiting to hopefully have fully functional FSD on my 2022 Model Y Performance. If it turns out that my car does not have enough hardware to work with FSD then for sure we should have some compensation for the money we spent for FSD, be it a hardware upgrade, or big discount on a newer vehicle, or free FSD in the newer vehicle since we paid for it and it never was going to work correctly in the vehicle we purchased it for. Looking forward to testing the new FSD version 11 in my car, but from what I have seen in videos it is still very much Beta.

I paid the 15K for FSD back in September 2022 and really do not use it much. When an update comes out I will use it a small amount to check for improvements and usually stop using it because it is just way easier and smoother for me to drive. I think the hard part for FSD is context. For instance there are some roads where I live that still do not have established speed limits-who knows why. There are a couple of urban roads where clearly the speed limit should be in the 35/45mph range but FSD thinks it is 55mph so goes that fast unless I manually slow the car. Not the fault of FSD on the surface but I understand that these roads are unmarked for speed limit so drive what for me is a safe speed, whereas FSD is just using a number it got somewhere in a database that is not correct. Perhaps when FSD starts using some sort of neural net AI it will get better at context and drive accordingly. I paid the 15k with eyes open, realizing I was paying big bucks for some beta software. I paid that on the good faith that eventually it will work well enough to be usable without human intervention or human worry:) The thing about Musk is he is part semi-genius and part master of hype so you get great cars and SpaceX but you also get a lot of promises unfulfilled. FSD is definitely not a scam, but I wonder if Tesla's FSD approach is doomed or will eventually be true FSD after enough work. Let's say that they get FSD working flawlessly but had to add a lot more sensors that they took off the cars before, or the cars never had because Musk said were not needed. At this point I am waiting to hopefully have fully functional FSD on my 2022 Model Y Performance. If it turns out that my car does not have enough hardware to work with FSD then for sure we should have some compensation for the money we spent for FSD, be it a hardware upgrade, or big discount on a newer vehicle, or free FSD in the newer vehicle since we paid for it and it never was going to work correctly in the vehicle we purchased it for. Looking forward to testing the new FSD version 11 in my car, but from what I have seen in videos it is still very much Beta.

Many states have "default" road speeds that are in effect when no speeds are posted. That's often about 45 mph, but does vary state to state.

Back during the introduction of the Model 3, there were some pretty big promises that Tesla would make sure that the cars had the right equipment to support FSD. And since the Model Y is basically a copy, many assume that it does as well.

Reactions: dflowerz
I don't think it's "trolling" to say it doesn't work as advertised. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone, if I say it phantom brakes 5 times on a 20 mile drive. It wasn't this bad before they removed Radar.

Trolling: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content
Um. I'm a refugee from the original Tesla.com forums. No question: We had trolls there. You know, the types that live in their Mom's basement and do stuff for the Yuks.

But we very definitely had much more serious visitors. Short sellers who would show up with a shiny new account, say something (usually extremely false) about Tesla, then disappear back to their Wall Street haunts.

And then.. we had the cases of the changing grammar. Look, somebody writes, they write in a certain style. So, we had a half-dozen or so posters. Each of these poster would change style a couple of times or more a day. With a consistent set of styles. And would post at least once an hour, or once every other hour, 24 hours a day, for days on end. Conclusion: Paid-for Beltway Bandit, probably with a three-ring binder. Likely funding: Oil companies, threatened ICE manufacturers.

These posters would reply to each other and simply flood a forum with false information. Or, with some of them, come into a thread, post reasonable comments, then go right out the window with false information.

Telsa didn't really do moderation. Admittedly, they'd sometimes try. And the .. does one call these trolls?.. would look at whatever it was that Tesla was doing, then figure out what to do to fake Tesla out and make them do bad things. In one notable case, this gang of.. whatever you want to call them.. accused a serious regular of sex discrimination and got him booted from the forums, at which they chuckled madly about on-line. The regular did get back after a week or so of hiatus.

We had one poster/troll who not only plied his (well, we thought it was a he) on the Tesla forums, we found identical madness on the Ford MachE forums. From, apparently, the same poster. (Even the posted gifs were identical.)

So: nefarious types with multiple accounts. Entities posting under a single account with what appeared to be multiple users. But.. why? Why do all this?

Think about it: Tesla doesn't advertise. People look up users to see about their experiences. They go to forums.. like the ones at Tesla. Or here. That's one thing.

The next thing is that they search Google. Google indexes forums like this one. Post falsehoods and Google's going to pick them up.

Eventually, Telsa gave up on the forums, closed them down (except for archival purposes), and let it go.

Here, we have moderators. They do a decent job. But I've had this thought, in the back of my head, that if, in that collection of malefactors who worked to pollute the Tesla forums to the point of uselessness, there were companies that were being paid to do the job.. Why would they stop? Remember: These types played a very fine line: Disrupt things, but not so much as to get booted. They would change tactics as Tesla changed their moderating methods and were very adaptable in that regard.

So.. Yeah, I'm a little paranoid. We have a couple posters on teslamotorsclub.com that, with a squinty look, have the look and act of those tesla.com bad guys.

But it's kind of like the Bayesian anti-spam filter that I run on my mail clients. After a bit of training, any email hawking some illicit substance gets dumped into the Junk folder. It doesn't stop spammers from trying; they just keep on modifying the message until something gets through. Although, if it does get through, it hardly resembles the spam of old. Likewise, the moderators toss the Really Evil ones out on their ears. Leaving ones that don't appear to be quite as evil.

But here we are in the FSD forums. No question, FSD is a work in progress, especially the Beta. It's of major importance to Tesla to get it working and they've stated numerous times that they need all the help with it that they can get. So people come here to find out what's going on. And.. that's when it's found out that to anybody not actually driving around with FSD, it's very difficult to tell when a poster claiming this-and-that is a horrible is stretching somethign that's actually a minor inconvenience.

So, I'm driving the Beta. Are there times it makes a mistake? Yep. a lot less now than, say, eight or ten months ago. In the past several months have I ever felt threatened by the car's driving habits? Nope, there's always been time to react and keep the car from doing something stupid. 10.69.2 has been doing pretty well, and I'm looking forward to the 11.x versions.

So, what does one think when somebody comes on this thread and says, "FSD is a long con from Musk/Tesla"? Um. I'm a-thinking that we've got ourselves a reject from the Tesla.com forums, that's what. Same as when we get a person stating, "I'm removing FSD-b from my car, it's makes just too many errors and is dangerous!". Funny, I'm in my 60's, have nominally old-age reaction times, and, weirdly enough, I don't get the end-of-the-universe vibes from the car. Or from the SO, who, I'm sure, would be all over me if she thought I was taking risks.

Problem is, there's hundreds or thousands of posters on TMC. We do get sensitive individuals who are deeply disturbed by automation, or just FSD in particular. Doesn't mean they're evil or bad: Just human. Heck, there are people around here who can't fit their body comfortably into any Tesla; it's just human variation. And even if one of the Evil shows up and says something, we got moderators who Keep An Eye on Them and regular posters who call them out; and that's where the Bayes-equivalent of a spam filter does its bit around here.

So, we probably got some nefarious types around here. Honest, died-in-the-wool Trolls who are here for the yuks; but probably a sprinkling of paid-for Beltway Bandit influencers, attempting to run up against (but not past) whatever limits the moderators are keeping. So, keep on chugging: Call out the idiocy when it's posted, and just keep on going.

If you bought FSD in 2020, then you did not pay $15K. And whatever you did pay has depreciated because you have used the car for a portion of its lifespan. So, Tesla should offer less than what you paid for FSD. I expect that $15K is for someone trading in a virtually new car.

Yes, you did not get to use all of the promised features of FSD during your ownership. But, you also got a significant discount because of that.

You, of course, are free to sell your car to anyone who will pay you a mutually agreeable price.
Updated FSD software should never be considered depreciate. It is always current.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve and KJD
Updated FSD software should never be considered depreciate. It is always current.
Financially speaking, I'm not sure that is correct. I've never seen corporate software that did not depreciate on the books. It's an asset and is treated like any asset. That's regardless of whether or not the software is updated or not, which is typically (but not always) a separate expense.

Reactions: jebinc
Financially speaking, I'm not sure that is correct. I've never seen corporate software that did not depreciate on the books. It's an asset and is treated like any asset. That's regardless of whether or not the software is updated or not, which is typically (but not always) a separate expense.
Umm have you even looked at how Tesla treats FSD revenue?? Not only is it not depreciated on its books, not even full revenue from all FSD purchases has even been REALIZED.

So Tesla in their own finances are not realizing full FSD revenue because they well know was not and still has not been a product that has realized all its marketing claims, and yet they are depreciating and refusing to transfer this value to existing owners that are still buying their cars and waiting for the full value of FSD to be realized in their car.

They hypocrisy is laughable...

have you even looked at how Tesla treats FSD revenue??
No. Actually that would be an interesting journey, I'm sure. I'm not an accountant but I thought GAAP dictated capital software expenses (as I think this would be in most companies, if only for the tax benefits) would be depreciateable. Then again, as stated I've not seen their books, just commenting on my experience. Maybe Tesla doesn't follow GAAP - that would not surprise me.
They hypocrisy is laughable..
We agree on that!

Musk says it is an appreciating asset. Gonna have to pay more and more property taxes ☹️

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
IMO FSD has and will depreciate significantly now that V4.0 hardware is coming and the likely hood that our cars will actually become fully autonomous. It is very apparent this version cannot drive 100%. I was one who bought into Elon's vision but it is not there and with the blind spots that exist it will be too unsafe to be completely on it's own. Again, this is my opinion but watching the advent of the new hardware speaks volumes where our cars stand relative to Full Self Driving with a caregiver behind the wheel. So that being the case, I feel duped...

IMO FSD has and will depreciate significantly now that V4.0 hardware is coming and the likely hood that our cars will actually become fully autonomous. It is very apparent this version cannot drive 100%. I was one who bought into Elon's vision but it is not there and with the blind spots that exist it will be too unsafe to be completely on it's own. Again, this is my opinion but watching the advent of the new hardware speaks volumes where our cars stand relative to Full Self Driving with a caregiver behind the wheel. So that being the case, I feel duped...
There's been some discussions around TMC that Nothing Will Work Unless It's V4.0 hardware.

Last meeting Musk said that V3.0 will work.

Yeah, everybody's having fun calling Musk a liar because, well, his actions with, Twitter, and whacko political statments are pretty much indefensible.

Doesn't mean he'll actually lie on one of those conference calls, though. And nobody else at Tesla is disagreeing with him.

So, we'll see. But don't get your knickers in a twist too early.

Reactions: pilotSteve
There is always going to be new hardware. If you're not on a path of constant improvement you're dead. I don't think that means the current hardware will not work.

Of course, I don't think the current hardware will ever be sleep in the back seat FSD. Probably not v4 either.

Im quickly approaching the boat where I'll want to upgrade this year/next but have full FSD on the car. When I bought in 2020 I didn't have any doubt that Elons promises would manifest by now, but I was clearly duped into dumping thousands for FSD for features that have still not manifested in the lifetime of the car.

Tesla continues to throw its early adopters in the trash, and wont recognize the full 15k FSD value they advertise in trade in, and refuse to transfer FSD to a new car so we at least have the chance to use what we paid for in our next car.

Are people that have bought FSD 4-5 years ago just eating that cost and moving on? I feel trapped since a significant value of my car is in FSD, and that value is not being recognized by Tesla, I can't transfer it to a new car if I want to upgrade, and want FSD but dont want to pay 15k for it again to be screwed over or give up that up for a 200 a month fee.

Really sucks and dont understand why the small % of full FSD owners can't take their license with them until all features are working as advertised. Really disingenuous of Tesla to all of us that paid for it...
I bought my car also in 2020 with FSD, but I bought it knowing it would be a crap shoot as to whether self driving would ever be realized. But since it is moving towards possibly being a reality someday, I’ll keep this Tesla until it runs out of gas.

Im quickly approaching the boat where I'll want to upgrade this year/next but have full FSD on the car. When I bought in 2020 I didn't have any doubt that Elons promises would manifest by now, but I was clearly duped into dumping thousands for FSD for features that have still not manifested in the lifetime of the car.

Tesla continues to throw its early adopters in the trash, and wont recognize the full 15k FSD value they advertise in trade in, and refuse to transfer FSD to a new car so we at least have the chance to use what we paid for in our next car.

Are people that have bought FSD 4-5 years ago just eating that cost and moving on? I feel trapped since a significant value of my car is in FSD, and that value is not being recognized by Tesla, I can't transfer it to a new car if I want to upgrade, and want FSD but dont want to pay 15k for it again to be screwed over or give up that up for a 200 a month fee.

Really sucks and dont understand why the small % of full FSD owners can't take their license with them until all features are working as advertised. Really disingenuous of Tesla to all of us that paid for it...
Well, I share your frustration. I think we are stuck with what we have for now--unless we ever get our Rivian reservation honored! I do like my 2020 Model 3 but we do feel cheated on the FSD. I marvel at those folks on UTube who praise the FSD and how well it operates. We haven't found that to be true, but we mainly do short drives to town and back. I do like the one pedal driving and cruise Control. Onthe plus side, Tesla is one of the safest cars around, and easiest to use as far as its APP, etc. And the charging is amazing. Hang in.

I marvel at those folks on UTube who praise the FSD and how well it operates. We haven't found that to be true, but we mainly do short drives to town and back.
Remember that the folks on YouTube that we see are the ones that survived. Many others threw in the towel.

You might try using the software for more and varied drives. Finding enthusiasm for FSDb is a bit like finding enthusiasm for golfing. It only takes one ball hit just right to become an enthusiast. You may find a route where FSDb shines and then you'll at least get a visceral sense of what it will be like to have a properly self-driving car.

I just take FSDb for what it really is. A pretty good driver assistant.
Wasn't expecting it to be "Self Driving" like many others seem to be. For the journeys I make it takes the strain of the commute and leaves me to handle the stuff it currently is unable to do.
I read all these posts bleating about how it can't do <insert task A> which somehow makes it useless for that person. There are so many posts with so many situations that make it "useless" for somebody. But for a general simple drive, it works pretty well and I now know where to disengage.
Sometimes I'll let it try scenarios where it has previously failed, I'm expecting it to fail, so it if works then at least its an improvement. But I'm not like some folks here that try over and over in places where it usually fails and they get more and more annoyed when it does fail (as expected).
The main thing I never forget is that the car is never driving itself, it's just assisting my drive. I am always the driver.
For current technology I don't see that changing. Having expectations to the contrary will just lead to either disappointment or anger.
So, its a pretty good driver assistant...
:cool:

Remember that the folks on YouTube that we see are the ones that survived. Many others threw in the towel.

You might try using the software for more and varied drives. Finding enthusiasm for FSDb is a bit like finding enthusiasm for golfing. It only takes one ball hit just right to become an enthusiast. You may find a route where FSDb shines and then you'll at least get a visceral sense of what it will be like to have a properly self-driving car.
Thanks. I appreciate the encouragement. And I love miniature golf.

No idea why people think that something they bought with the car should be transferable. The fact that Tesla has not delivered on FSD is shameful, but Tesla does not seem to care about its customers once the car leaves the showroom. Whether you buy or subscribe to EAP or FSD is a personal value / cost proposition.
Because it does not work yet? Maybe they could transfer FSD to your next car in hopes that the thing you purchased will work?
As for pricing, yea you got a "deal" on the price, but only until Tesla changes the pricing again...
Not really using my FSD it's so bad. I pretty much only use EAP features, but well I did get the new computer upgrade so I'm not bitter. I'll probably sell the the car before FSD is a reality though.

Reactions: pilotSteve