Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are people that bought Full FSD doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im quickly approaching the boat where I'll want to upgrade this year/next but have full FSD on the car. When I bought in 2020 I didn't have any doubt that Elons promises would manifest by now, but I was clearly duped into dumping thousands for FSD for features that have still not manifested in the lifetime of the car.

Tesla continues to throw its early adopters in the trash, and wont recognize the full 15k FSD value they advertise in trade in, and refuse to transfer FSD to a new car so we at least have the chance to use what we paid for in our next car.

Are people that have bought FSD 4-5 years ago just eating that cost and moving on? I feel trapped since a significant value of my car is in FSD, and that value is not being recognized by Tesla, I can't transfer it to a new car if I want to upgrade, and want FSD but dont want to pay 15k for it again to be screwed over or give up that up for a 200 a month fee.

Really sucks and dont understand why the small % of full FSD owners can't take their license with them until all features are working as advertised. Really disingenuous of Tesla to all of us that paid for it...

I have FSD now and I'm planning to upgrade my S this year. I plan to buy EAP for $6k and subscribe to FSD ($100/month if you have EAP) when it becomes worthwhile. If you enjoy the EAP features, I suggest you do the same. I do have FSD Beta now, which I won't get with EAP, but my wife's 3 has FSD Beta too, so I can still play around with it.

I never believed we would have real self driving anytime soon, so I'm not really disappointed in that respect. I do wish I could transfer FSD to my next car, especially since I only paid $3k for it at the time (I already had EAP), but I wasn't expecting I would be able to.

I bought the FSD feature in December, paying 12K for it (ordered last April). I wish I hadn't bought it, should have just done the subscription. Frankly I shouldn't have even bought the car then and instead just cancelled my order; I had way too much faith/expectation in Tesla delivering FSD on all HW3 cars than I should have (and that is why I bought the car). With the rumors of new radar being around the corner, I wish I would have waited. Unfortunately, having waited 8 months since ordering, I got greedy and didn't wait to see what would pan out (told myself there will always be improvements). The key thing is that unlike 95% of changes, the autonomy related stuff is what I really care about. The vehicle is fine as a modern vehicle, but terrible if expected to be a autonomous vehicle.

If Tesla delivers on FSD it will reflect on the resale prices and thus the trade in value. Until then, why should they pay more?
Extras never get full value on resale no matter where sold.

Also, it is tied to the car and I expect it to be tied to the car. No different from the back seats or the doors. They offer a subscription (now) for the people that want it tied to themselves.

But, given Tesla hasn’t really delivered it sure would be nice if they tossed a bone to the early purchasers. One time deal, etc.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Im quickly approaching the boat where I'll want to upgrade this year/next but have full FSD on the car. When I bought in 2020 I didn't have any doubt that Elons promises would manifest by now, but I was clearly duped into dumping thousands for FSD for features that have still not manifested in the lifetime of the car.

Tesla continues to throw its early adopters in the trash, and wont recognize the full 15k FSD value they advertise in trade in, and refuse to transfer FSD to a new car so we at least have the chance to use what we paid for in our next car.

Are people that have bought FSD 4-5 years ago just eating that cost and moving on? I feel trapped since a significant value of my car is in FSD, and that value is not being recognized by Tesla, I can't transfer it to a new car if I want to upgrade, and want FSD but dont want to pay 15k for it again to be screwed over or give up that up for a 200 a month fee.

Really sucks and dont understand why the small % of full FSD owners can't take their license with them until all features are working as advertised. Really disingenuous of Tesla to all of us that paid for it...
If you bought FSD in 2020, then you did not pay $15K. And whatever you did pay has depreciated because you have used the car for a portion of its lifespan. So, Tesla should offer less than what you paid for FSD. I expect that $15K is for someone trading in a virtually new car.

Yes, you did not get to use all of the promised features of FSD during your ownership. But, you also got a significant discount because of that.

You, of course, are free to sell your car to anyone who will pay you a mutually agreeable price.

And whatever you did pay has depreciated because you have used the car for a portion of its lifespan.

This is not applicable to FSD, it has not depreciated over the years rather it has appreciated owing to added capabilities. But the fact that Tesla offers no value on a trade-in is also no surprise. Tesla removes FSD and hopes the next buyer buys it again, so FSD on a trade-in has no value - to Tesla.

• Informative
Apparently it's not all that small a percentage .. over 400,000 beta testers. Some of these are presumably subscriptions, but I suspect the majority are purchases.

This is not applicable to FSD, it has not depreciated over the years rather it has appreciated owing to added capabilities. But the fact that Tesla offers no value on a trade-in is also no surprise. Tesla removes FSD and hopes the next buyer buys it again, so FSD on a trade-in has no value - to Tesla.
You could say the same thing about the base car, as Tesla adds functions and improves others. Yet, a used car depreciates because it has less remaining lifespan than a new car. Same thing for FSD. You should not get $15K for FSD on a three year old car when a buyer could get the same FSD on a new car and get three more years use out of it.

Nonetheless, as I said, you are not obligated to sell your car to Tesla.

If Tesla delivers on FSD it will reflect on the resale prices and thus the trade in value. Until then, why should they pay more?
Extras never get full value on resale no matter where sold.

Also, it is tied to the car and I expect it to be tied to the car. No different from the back seats or the doors. They offer a subscription (now) for the people that want it tied to themselves.

But, given Tesla hasn’t really delivered it sure would be nice if they tossed a bone to the early purchasers. One time deal, etc.
I agree with tossing a bone given all the trials and tribulations.

Ideally FSD adds value to the car but for many FSD hasn't met minimum expectations. It could be the worse case trifecta with a dead-end HW3 design, min spec'd cameras/processors, and poor performance. Probably not much resale value after HW4 is in production.

No idea why people think that something they bought with the car should be transferable. The fact that Tesla has not delivered on FSD is shameful, but Tesla does not seem to care about its customers once the car leaves the showroom. Whether you buy or subscribe to EAP or FSD is a personal value / cost proposition.
Tesla greases the skids on occasion. Most recently $5k discount for supercharge for life trade-in on model s/x.

At some point they'll probably offer something like that but it'll be when most HW3 FSD systems are off the road. In other words it will be for Tesla's benefit ($).

At some point they'll probably offer something like that but it'll be when most HW3 FSD systems are off the road. In other words it will be for Tesla's benefit ($).

Oh, that's going to be a while though. HW4 is just barely entering production now, so what's the expected lifespan of 2022 Model 3 and Y? I hope at least 10-20 years. Of course FSD take rates are low (and may actually get lower over time as these cars are traded in to Tesla and resold without FSD potentially). Still, doesn't that mean there's hundreds of thousand of HW3 FSD cars on the road in 15 years? We know the current full FSD fleet size size is somewhere around 400,000k, likely biased somewhat towards newer cars.

• Informative
I bought FSD on my S for an additional $3k in 2017. Was sure that my car would be autonomous by 2020. Haha. Hasn’t happened, of course, but I do enjoy fooling around with it. I use it for roughly 25-50% of my daily commute. I bail out when others are following because it is likely to do something goofy and embarrassing. If I were to buy a new Tesla I would definitely not pay $15k. I would just wait until it was actually ready and then order it as a monthly subscription. And honestly I’m not sure if I would pay $6k for EAP if basic lane following on the highway comes free. That’s all you really need.

Data point #2 - my wife has FSD on her 3 and she doesn’t use it at all. Only my profile in her car has it activated. She does absolutely use her EAP/lane following on the highway. She loves that part and is mad that the latest upgrade detects her steering-wheel weight nag defeat device. As a safety nerd, I didn’t like her using that anyway, but she doesn’t listen to me on these things.

Looking back, one of the reasons I bought FSD with both of these was so I could start my own robotaxi service, or sell them to Uber for $200k, when full self driving was solved. But I think that ship has sailed for multiple reasons.

I bought TACC/AP/EAP/FSD for 5k during the fire sale. (I didn’t buy any of it when I first purchased my model S because the prices at that time were too high for the given functionality. I think it was like 12k for all of it.). For the features and functionality it had at that time of the fire sale purchase, 5k was worth it. I don’t understand why people would pay so much (15k) for a future “possibility”. Especially now with the subscription option to try it out.

I use AP/EAP on the highway quite often and FSD once in a while. It’s fun to watch and the display is cool but not stable enough to trust it as much as highway AP. So many more potential dangers and variables.

Basic AP delivered with the vehicle is more than sufficient IMHO. If I bought new, that’s what I would stick with until FSD can perform at least as good as highway AP.