Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your comfortable winter driving temp and settings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. It came up in conversation the other day. Just curious where people have things set for the winter. Our comfort zone seems to be

TEMP 18 degrees.
Seats on low.
HVAC manual with recirc on speed 1.

Our winter temps are seldom below minus 10.

Note. We take it off recirc if it windows fog up.

Reactions: puckpurnell
/e googles a Fahrenheit to Celsius calendar to convert to the numbers everyone but the US uses.....

Google says I have my car set at 21.1c (70F), and I set it that way year round (but live someplace that has temperate weather, where it doesnt snow, and rarely gets below (/e converts again....7.2c (45F). I also dont deal at all with snow, and my normal outdoor winter temperatures where I live and work is (/e converts again..15.5 to 21c).

• Funny
Reactions: chrstna4
Hi all. It came up in conversation the other day. Just curious where people have things set for the winter. Our comfort zone seems to be

TEMP 18 degrees.
Seats on low.

You should get a CO2 meter and see what the concentration is in your car with the HVAC on recirc for extended periods of time. I'll bet it's >2000 PPM.

I run 69F on auto for most of the year. I'll usually select fresh air mode rather than auto-recirculate unless it's super hot and humid outside. I only use manual recirculate for brief periods of time when in smelly conditions like following a jalopy or in industrial zones. If the floor heat gets too carried away in automatic mode, which it often does in cold weather, I'll set it on a manual fan speed of 2 - 4, which seems to solve the problem.

You should get a CO2 meter and see what the concentration is in your car with the HVAC on recirc for extended periods of time. I'll bet it's >2000 PPM.

I run 69F on auto for most of the year. I'll usually select fresh air mode rather than auto-recirculate unless it's super hot and humid outside. I only use manual recirculate for brief periods of time when in smelly conditions like following a jalopy or in industrial zones. If the floor heat gets too carried away in automatic mode, which it often does in cold weather, I'll set it on a manual fan speed of 2 - 4, which seems to solve the problem.

Interesting on the CO2 thing. Thanks for the post.

Does the auto setting ever use the foot well vents for heating? In all my other cars they do but i've never seen my Tesla use teh foot vents on auto.

Yes, almost always, while blending cooler air from the dash vents. My 3 sometimes gets too carried away with the foot heat in auto mode, which is when I switch to manual control. Early Model Ses were notorious for poor floor heat, so maybe Tesla overcorrected with the programming. Dual zone temp control doesn’t work well in the 3, either. I run the system in single zone mode almost exclusively.

Surprisingly, our 3 behaves the same now as it did when it was new. I expected HVAC improvements with software updates over time.

edit and note to self: try dual zone in manual mode as opposed to auto mode.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers

TEMP 18 degrees.
Seats on low.

Since my car is outside, I have to dress for outside, and I don't take my coat off just because I'm in the car; so, 18C or 65F, seats usually low, but sometimes medium, fan on 1 or 2, set usually for windshield or feet, with recirc. I have a heated leather steering wheel cover as well, but I usually keep my driving gloves on.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers