Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the weather in June around Revelstoke to Banff, just cold, or very snowy? These pictures of the superchargers and the northern mountain extremes leave me concerned about range and SC availability.
Revelstoke is at a low elevation, so it gets quite warm by mid summer, actually hot by my standards. The Trans-Canada Highway does climb relatively high on the BC/AB border, but nothing extreme. As a repeat visitor/tourist in that area, I'd be more concerned about the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper, where there are no Superchargers and there's only limited destination charging.

Revelstoke is at a low elevation, so it gets quite warm by mid summer, actually hot by my standards. The Trans-Canada Highway does climb relatively high on the BC/AB border, but nothing extreme. As a repeat visitor/tourist in that area, I'd be more concerned about the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper, where there are no Superchargers and there's only limited destination charging.
I was able to pull my camper across the Trans-Canada Highway with my X in June. Range shouldn't be an issue for anyone. Supercharger spacing is excellent; I could even drive 100km/hr with the camper over many stretches!

Agreed on Jasper - we had to omit it due to timing and charging concerns this trip.. next time when I have my X120D or whatever. :)

Has this already been discussed?

Charging up Portage
Portage la Prairie will soon see a more earth-conscious group of travellers.

Winnipeg-based commercial real estate and investment management company Shindico announced today they’ve partnered with Tesla to bring a new six-stall Tesla Supercharger Station, equipped with three dedicated stalls and three general 15-minute parking stalls for all customers.
Construction on the Tesla charging station will begin in August.

Charging up Portage

Has this already been discussed?

Charging up Portage
Portage la Prairie will soon see a more earth-conscious group of travellers.

Winnipeg-based commercial real estate and investment management company Shindico announced today they’ve partnered with Tesla to bring a new six-stall Tesla Supercharger Station, equipped with three dedicated stalls and three general 15-minute parking stalls for all customers.
Construction on the Tesla charging station will begin in August.

Charging up Portage
This is pretty interesting. Makes me thing they are serious about connecting Calgary to Winnipeg. Or at least connecting Winnipeg to the Supercharger highway in the US. Lightfoot seems to have some indication that the North Dakota build out is imminent. Perhaps the Calgary to Winnipeg build out is imminent as well. We can hope!

The last line of the article is somewhat disappointing though: "Construction will begin in August."

With Tesla's inability to keep to any sort of time frame, I am skeptical that this will get done before the winter freeze sets in.

Also, I had to laugh at the article mentioning the nearby Boston Pizza. Seemingly 90% of Canadian superchargers have a BP nearby.

This is pretty interesting. Makes me thing they are serious about connecting Calgary to Winnipeg. Or at least connecting Winnipeg to the Supercharger highway in the US. Lightfoot seems to have some indication that the North Dakota build out is imminent. Perhaps the Calgary to Winnipeg build out is imminent as well. We can hope!
Yes, I'd think they'd have Fargo to Winnipeg in place before they do Portage La Prairie. I'm excited that they might have I-94 completed this year and possibly Calgary to Winnipeg. I tentatively want to visit my cousins in Regina, SK at the end of July, probably too soon for much in the way of Superchargers. I've done it before using Sun Country via Winnipeg, but if they at least have I-94 lit up I may be able to head straight up to Regina from Bismarck or Dickinson with only a 'short' stop at a Sun Country charger.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Did you notice this one on their FB page as well?

upload_2018-3-27_23-23-29.png

Interesting that it says six stalls. It seems that eight has been the minimum for the last while, but of course, the Tesla traffic would be expected to be low there for quite a while.

And as far as starting in August, we can hope that maybe that is because they are going to be so busy building many other Supercharger sites earlier in the summer elsewhere in western Canada.:rolleyes:

Interesting that it says six stalls. It seems that eight has been the minimum for the last while, but of course, the Tesla traffic would be expected to be low there for quite a while.

Eight is a minimum in the densely populated parts of North America, but not so in many other places - some of the new ones in regional Australia have been four stall and most have been six. There are only two sites which are eight stall (and they're the largest). There are still many places where superchargers are built to enable access to a certain region - not because of growing demand!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Ever-hopeful that I am.....

...I notice that Portage is at the junction of the Trans-Can and the eastern terminus of the Yellowhead. What a great step forward it would be if both Rtes 1 & 16 got Supercharged! Yellowhead is, for us, a more convenient route when easty-westy'ing it.

You can but dream!

For us ignorant furriners, here's some more info:

The Yellowhead Highway (French: Route Yellowhead) is a major interprovincial highway in Western Canada that runs from Winnipeg to Graham Island off the coast of British Columbia via Saskatoon and Edmonton. It stretches across the four western Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba and is part of the Trans-Canada Highway system and the larger National Highway System, but should not be confused with the more southerly, originally-designated Trans-Canada Highway.

Yellowhead Highway - Wikipedia

And maybe more interesting:

The Yellowhead Highway crosses the gorgeous prairie provinces of Canada with their golden wheat fields — and one of the best uses for that bounty is beer! Experience the flavour of the prairies at these independent breweries that call the edges of the highway home. Remember to choose a designated driver to chauffeur you to these spots — don’t drink and drive!

GO Yellowhead - a travel guide to help you plan your next trip along the Yellowhead Highway

You can but dream!

For us ignorant furriners, here's some more info:

The Yellowhead Highway (French: Route Yellowhead) is a major interprovincial highway in Western Canada that runs from Winnipeg to Graham Island off the coast of British Columbia via Saskatoon and Edmonton. It stretches across the four western Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba and is part of the Trans-Canada Highway system and the larger National Highway System, but should not be confused with the more southerly, originally-designated Trans-Canada Highway.

Yellowhead Highway - Wikipedia

And maybe more interesting:

The Yellowhead Highway crosses the gorgeous prairie provinces of Canada with their golden wheat fields — and one of the best uses for that bounty is beer! Experience the flavour of the prairies at these independent breweries that call the edges of the highway home. Remember to choose a designated driver to chauffeur you to these spots — don’t drink and drive!

GO Yellowhead - a travel guide to help you plan your next trip along the Yellowhead Highway
I think the point to be made here is that just West of Portage is a "Y" intersection where the Trans-Canada Hwy goes West towards Calgary, the Yellowhead Hwy goes Northwest towards Edmonton, and the combined result goes East to Winnipeg.

Portage is in a strategic location to serve travellers headed in any of those directions.

Speaking as someone who isn't very familiar with Canadian highways... If I were a resident of Winnipeg, would I be more likely to travel westward highway towards Calgary? Or eastward towards Toronto?
I used to live in Winnipeg, and I travelled in all directions to/from the city (Look at a more detailed map to see what I mean). Having said that, most car/truck traffic is East/West.

Several things to note here... most of the population of the country is within 200 miles of the Canada/US border, and traffic and transport of goods is pretty much one dimensional along that line (exception: Alberta). Secondly, a lot more things are shipped by train in Canada. The roads are not dominated by 18 wheelers, as they are in the US. Cars own the major highways.