Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Model S freakout in parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This attitude of acceptance is the issue at large and why stability will probably never happen, if they did a 'wonderful job' then the MCU wouldn't need regular reboots just to stay functional, sorry I totally disagree with your statement.
In once sense you are correct, the stability and operation of the drivetrain is perfect, well it has to be, no give or take on that one. So why can't they just get the MCU more stable? Unfortunately this is some of the silicon valley culture coming through to the end product, the software engineers know the system is unstable, they see failure rates are high, yet instead of 100% focussing on fixing this they write Atari games and Santa mode because they think they are writing phone apps or computer games and not working on a VERY expensive car.

I think you misunderstand my statement, as it has nothing to do with the stability of the MCU but rather the foresight to separate the MCU from the driving mechanics. Meaning that instead of keeping the 2 interdependent Tesla allows the car to operate despite having no access or visualization from the screens. I don't know how you ascertain an "attitude of acceptance" from that statement.

I am agreement with the state of agile software development that Tesla has taken which sees them rush features out the door that may be just beyond MVP status, with the intent of refining with subsequent releases. I also understand that this is due to the timelines and lack of resources provided to them. However, keep in mind that the developers take direction from Management and if Management says "build Atari Games" then they build Atari Games.

I do my best to address as many issues as possible and even suggest changes they can make to improve features, many of which have made it to production.

Uhmm... not entirely true. I've had hung central computer preventing me from driving with "systems are powering up" message which didn't disappear until the main screen rebooted. Also, main screen controls HVAC, so if your windows are fogged up you can't drive, or worse, when one of the software updates had a bug which turned the defrost button to frost button, turning foggy windshield into iced windshield.
My reading of @Economite was that this instability could be dangerous in the operation of a vehicle.

So in the finest tradition of splitting hairs on an Internet forum, I would contend that your first problem isn't dangerous (unless you were being chased by someone). You aren't driving so preventing you from driving is annoying but not dangerous.

For your second point, same thing. If you aren't driving yet and can't defrost it's not dangerous, just annoying. If you are already driving then your windows should be clear. I can't imagine a weather situation that would cause your windows to fog in the <1 minute it takes the MCU to reboot.

I'd raise that with the SC if I were you. That's unacceptable.
Well, we've done one better. We're trading it in on a demo S100D. We have had a few people try to buy our P85 but with these weird problems I don't feel good selling it to a private party. This way whomever buys it from Tesla will get a warranty and will get it sorted out (if Tesla doesn't notice it during their inspections).

Last edited:
Reactions: RAW84