Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weekend Road Trips and Range Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend, I traveled from Greensboro to Asheville, NC in our S70. While the EPA range for the car is 230 miles at 100% charge, Asheville is 180 miles away, and there is a 1,400 climb going to Asheville. The trip is all interstate, primarily through rural areas, and the speed limit is about evenly split between 65 and 70 MPH. Because of the climb, the fact that I drive 9 miles over the speed limit (the unwritten overage allowed by the NCSHP, except in work zones), and use air conditioning, I was a bit apprehensive about the trip up to Asheville.

It looked doable according to EV Trip Planner, and there was a bailout spot at about the half way point if necessary, so I gave it a try. The power usage was almost exactly as predicted by EV Trip Planner both ways, and I had no problem. Well done EV Trip Planner.

The other thing I noticed was that the AP worked flawlessly both ways, but that the "hands on the wheel nag" was popping up literally about every two minutes. It seems that the reminder nag has been stepped up.

Upon returning to Greensboro Saturday morning, I took my ICE car to Chapel Hill (65 miles) to the football game (another Carolina Tar Heel victory). I noticed that the fuel was low and made a mental note to stop on the way back for gas. After the game, I stopped for gas and found that there was none to be had, anywhere. Unbeknownst to me, the Colonial Pipeline in Alabama had rupture, cutting off the supply of gasoline to central NC (and points north and east). I had 45 miles of range, and I was 45 miles from home. My ICE car, a MB E55 AMG, is not exactly easy on gas. I limped home showing a zero range when I pulled onto my street. On the way in I noticed all of the stations I saw were out of gas. The next morning, I happened to have 3 gallons of gas for my riding lawn more, which I put into the car (which provided a 60 mile range), so I could at get to work. There is still no gas available in Greensboro, and the situation is not supposed to improve until Wednesday or Thursday.

I had started out the weekend with range anxiety for the Tesla, which turned out to be baseless, and ended the weekend with justifiable range anxiety for my ICE vehicle. It also brought home just how vulnerable the fuel supply to the East Coast really is from accidents, not to mention possible terrorist activity.

You're showing your (lack of) age. And now I'll show my age: some of us remember 1973 (I wasn't driving yet, but still...).
And I'll show my age by saying that I remember waiting in those gas lines (happened twice during the '70s as I recall) to get my car filled up!

I was amused by the reports of gas shortages due to the recent pipeline break. My first thought was that at least the EV drivers have an advantage for the time being...

I remember gas lines and shortages because it happened only 4 years ago. Hurricane Sandy, that bitch! had people sleeping in their cars on a gas line because of "rumors" that station may get a delivery in the A.M. Gas line fights, 4 hour waits etc..... I was lucky and had some connections for my generator and cars but man , what chaos! Now I worry how am I going to charge during a power outage? When Powerwall price comes down I can get off the grid but not just yet.

Back to the Op. I don't use EV Trip planner. Any better than the Tesla Nav?

Long time lurker, and finally felt compelled to sign up and respond!

Remember those long lines all too well (odd/even ring a bell?)
Had it a little better than most at times working at an auto parts
store running the machine shop. Kind of had an "in" with local
gas stations. At least until moving on and changed jobs.

That was not a fun time in out history. Think Sandy on steroids.

Never have to worry about it again (hopefully) not because I
bought a Tesla (waiting for wife to retire too) but we're swimming
in Dino goo. 11 year old Infiniti M35X driven once a month to
get what little hair I have left cut works for me, but the S itch
is strong.

-Joe

<grumble grumble...damn punk spoiled kids driving around in Teslas...when I was your age...lucky to have a Dodge Dart with four inflated
tires...no respect...> ;)
C'mon, all you old cranks out there. You know you were thinking it. Don't pretend you weren't! ;)
Actually I was, including the DD!

Plan out with EV Trip Planner, then peruse the forums for photos of the SC location, familiarize yourself with the nearby landmarks and roadways, and plan your trip based on load, temp, weather, and conditions. You can also view Google Maps Street view to get a lay of the land.

Now am as comfortable with Range in my S85D as I was in my old ICE. No looking back though...time to jump the shark and dump the fossil fuels.

I remember gas lines and shortages because it happened only 4 years ago. Hurricane Sandy, that bitch! had people sleeping in their cars on a gas line because of "rumors" that station may get a delivery in the A.M. Gas line fights, 4 hour waits etc..... I was lucky and had some connections for my generator and cars but man , what chaos! Now I worry how am I going to charge during a power outage? When Powerwall price comes down I can get off the grid but not just yet.

I was on the jersey shore and there were gas lines because of the stations not having power to run the pumps and the few that did have power were limiting gas sales. many people were on line to fill gas cans to run small generators and caused lines that were hours long. the shame/joke of the matter was that if the people in line just drove 40-50 miles west towards PA they could have gotten gas. so would waiting in line for over an hour be better than driving 90 minutes round trip?

Interesting, I have never seen a gas station out of gasoline before!
Glad you made it home.
Why didn't you take the tesla to work since there's no gasoline in the city?

My wife is the everyday driver of the S 70 (which she ordered to her taste, wants and spec's), and she needed it Monday. I will be taking delivery of my S P?D next summer. We try to keep our car purchases at least a year apart.

I find EV Trip Planner vastly superior as to accuracy because it takes into consideration your driving style (I'm a lead-foot), external temperature (can be a big factor if it is cold), whether you use air conditioning, whether your car will be loaded with passengers and luggage, and net changes in elevation.