Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We’ve seen S3XY buttons, but a S3XY knob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the last video says 'up to three pages' - which isn't many, but probably ok. But if so, it'd be good to be able to arrange them - that way you could eg start at page 2 so you know a flick left is page 1, and a flick right is page 3 - no need to think about it.

Specific question, based on the hidden functionality s3xy buttons seem to be able to expose:

When a model 3/Y Long Range adds acceleration boost, the driving acceleration modes change from chill & standard to chill & sport ? (Meaning the user loses “standard mode” ?)

Is it possible these devices could expose the “standard acceleration mode” that is replaced with sport mode once a vehicle has added the acceleration boost feature?

The “supported functions” list for the existing s3xy buttons does say it supports acceleration (toggle, chill, sport)for 2021+, I assume “toggle” will utilize a single button to move between chill/sport?

Can these devices support more than 2 acceleration modes?
ie, potentially can the s3xy knob scroll between chill, standard, sport ?

I don't know the answer to above. But on a somewhat related topic I've recently been testing out Chill mode and actually quite liking it - with the exception of reduced max power. I'm very much looking forward to running in Chill mode with the kickdown from the programmed into the commander, then setting up a 1 touch button back to chill mode (or a 1 touch toggle). I'd be interested in feedback if someone's already using it in this way.

Reactions: jsmay311
I don't know the answer to above. But on a somewhat related topic I've recently been testing out Chill mode and actually quite liking it - with the exception of reduced max power. I'm very much looking forward to running in Chill mode with the kickdown from the programmed into the commander, then setting up a 1 touch button back to chill mode (or a 1 touch toggle). I'd be interested in feedback if someone's already using it in this way.
I have this setup. It works fine.

Reactions: WheresMyKeys
During the last 3 months, we had a side project...

Part of the team worked on it with members of the Tesla community and we were able to replicate the signals for all of the above actions and integrate them into commands sent from the stalks to the canbus. That way, people from our Beta group with the yoke were able to have their stalks back and use them in real-life scenarios.

So now that the proof of concept is there, we will start thinking of a way to create the hardware for it.

We already found a good partner that can help us with that so hopefully in the next month we can have our first official prototype in-house and see how much more work we need to put into it.

However, until then, everyone who owns the model S/X with the yoke steering wheel or will receive their new Model 3 Highland, will be able to use the S3XY Buttons for all of the functions the stalks can do.
😉

And in a month or so the S3XY Buttons will be able to do gear-shifting as well, so the setup will be complete.
Look at that, very interesting development!

Reactions: dsm363
I just ordered 4 of their buttons. Would this potentially replace them or in addition? Looks great.

I guess their website says they complement them so can get both.

Last edited:
This is for all the English chaps on here but . . . Can you actually be sexy if you're a knob? 🤡

One question I have is that if it plugs into the can-bus behind the centre console, how do you manage that if you've already spliced somethign in there? It was bad enough getting the cover back on that thing, but there'll definitely not be room for two connections - and that's supposing you can have two

Also it does look like you pretty much lose access to the front compartment

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
I have a knob on pre-order and ordered 4 buttons black friday because I know I'd prefer a few dedicated hard buttons. That was before I knew that they'd be adding the long-press 3rd action functionality to each button. Now I wish I only bought 2 buttons, might see if I can sell the second pack for what I paid before I even open it, haven't decided yet.

What I want to add for direct access via button:

- Chill / standard mode toggle. I drive in chill most of the time, looking forward to kickdown functionality for when needed. Want a dead simple way to flick back and forth when I want to play a little vs just drive.

- Mirror Dim. I sometimes find the dimming mirrors too dark and generally drive with them un dimmed. But sometimes some dinguses have LED lights in reflector light housings or just drive with high beams on. I want to be able to turn mirror dimming on and off easy without menus.

- Rear child lock toggle. My older kids like to open the doors themselves, but I only want them to be able to when I know it's safe to do so and I want it to be easy to enable / disable.

- Open charge port. I have a non tesla charger at home and want to stick a button on the charger handle to open the port so I don't need to open my phone if the car is locked (I'm hoping it works that way)

- Glove Box & Dome Lights. But I can see these going to knob page 3

- Rear seat heater control (buttons in back somewhere)

It's hard to say because I don't have a commander and haven't played with any of it at all yet. My thoughts might change once I receive the knob and see if it really works for me the way I hope it does.

I just found this knob controller and glad to find this discussion today even though I'm a few months late to the party. I like this approach of using the knob and being able to control so many things fairly easily. I presume none have yet been delivered yet? If so, what is latest eta? Vendor currently lists it at $329, but I saw another site has it at $269. I seldom open my console storage bin, so reduced opening size doesn't bother me.

I just found this knob controller and glad to find this discussion today even though I'm a few months late to the party. I like this approach of using the knob and being able to control so many things fairly easily. I presume none have yet been delivered yet? If so, what is latest eta? Vendor currently lists it at $329, but I saw another site has it at $269. I seldom open my console storage bin, so reduced opening size doesn't bother me.
I dont think there is a hard date, the soft date was xmas 23' , but they found a problem, so it will take extra time.

Good on them for not simply releasing a flawed product, and promising an ambiguous software fix "in the future" or cleaning up the mess later.

luckily, I pre-ordered for $199.99, yay
latest message was that they needed a couple more weeks

Where are you getting your updates from? I've got it on pre-order since October but haven't gotten any updates at all. I've gotten a couple of their other newsletters about Gen2 buttons and commander but nothing on the knob.
Mine is via email that was used to order the knob.

*Shamelessly requesting anyone with a recently purchased knob referral/order# code, would love to pickup those extra sexybuttons offered!

Last edited: