Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Continuous' Autopilot using S3XY buttons commander

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we have had some discussion about the S3XY buttons and the commander in the thread 'Ruitenwissers'. In the meantime, Tesla has allowed us to turn off Automatic Wipers in TACC and AP modes.

During their holiday update, enhAuto (makes of the S3XY buttons and the commander) gave us a new feature. They call it 'Continuous autopilot'

This is what it does

If you are driving in your lane on AutoPilot
- you indicate to change lanes
- you move to the next lane
- the indicator stops and you are in the next lane
- after 2 / 3 / 4 seconds (configurable in the app) the commander re-engages AutoPilot

So, one does not have to single / double-yank the stalk anymore.

See it here in action

A preview of their new app and this setting there

So, we have had some discussion about the S3XY buttons and the commander in the thread 'Ruitenwissers'. In the meantime, Tesla has allowed us to turn off Automatic Wipers in TACC and AP modes.

During their holiday update, enhAuto (makes of the S3XY buttons and the commander) gave us a new feature. They call it 'Continuous autopilot'

This is what it does

- after 2 / 3 / 4 seconds (configurable in the app) the commander re-engages AutoPilot

See it here in action

Is that you @SandeepT sitting in the drifting car :eek:

This is what it does

See it here in action

Leuk inderdaad dat ze in dat filmpje benoemen dat het op iedere Tesla werkt, die continuous autopilot. Behalve voor de 2019 modellen met HW2.5 waar ze de status van AP niet kunnen achterhalen vanuit de canbus. Bij mij werkt het niet en dit was helaas de conclusie. Ik ben er nog niet helemaal achter waarom sommingen wel met HW2.5 het werkend hebben, dus mss is er gewoon iets vreemds met mijn auto, maar dat probeer ik nog te achterhalen.

Wow, thanks for highlighting this! Just turned it on and will try out tomorrow.
Please note that non-TESLA software has not been approved by TESLA.
This can also confuse the TESLA software (remember BSOD in Windows).
This non-TESLA software could therefore be part of insurance policies to prevent you from paying out in the event of an accident due to the use of unapproved software.

Please note that non-TESLA software has not been approved by TESLA.
This can also confuse the TESLA software (remember BSOD in Windows).
This non-TESLA software could therefore be part of insurance policies to prevent you from paying out in the event of an accident due to the use of unapproved software.
Good point. In this case, the SEXY controller is simply triggering a Tesla Autosteer command as if I’d done so myself. So the Tesla safety controls and rules are still in place (Autosteer won’t turn back on automatically after lane change if the car cannot find lane markers or some other negative condition exists when turn signal completes). There are other SEXY functions like Drift mode and disabling auto wipers on AP that do override standard Tesla controls, which certainly could create a warranty or insurance issue.

Nice!! This is a great feature, not quite FSD lane change, but similar to other auto manufacturers that re-engage lane keep after a manual change. I’m curious why not use 1 second delay instead of 3? Have you experimented?
No reason other than seeing how much of a time 3 seconds is. I’m going to keep it at 3 seconds till I find that to be too long and then shift to 2 sec.

Ik heb het even geprobeerd en vervolgens weer uit gezet. Ik weet bijna zeker dat het me een keer hinderlijk gaat verrassen op een moment dat ik niet verwacht dat ie weer aan gaat en dat doet op een moment dat ik niet mooi midden op de strook rijdt. De "happy flow" werkt inderdaad heel goed, maar ik hou toch liever zelf de controle. En dat doe ik op de simpelste manier die je kan doen met de S3XY buttons: Ik heb er eentje links achterop mijn stuur geplakt die ik heb geconfigureerd op "Toggle Autosteer". Met dezefde vingers als waarmee ik de richtingaanwijzer bediende, zet ik na de rijstrookwissel Autosteer weer aan. Of niet, als ik dat even juist niet wil. Het is in ieder geval lang geleden dat ik de hendel twee keer naar beneden drukte.

Does this feature require the use of Autosteer? Or will Autopilot also re-engage after a manual lane change?
Yes. The feature requires you to use 2-click AP activation. The first starts TACC and second autosteer. When you signal to change lanes, autosteer disengages and TACC stays active at your speed setting. Then after lane change, the SEXY Commander sends signal to reactivate autosteer automatically.

No reason other than seeing how much of a time 3 seconds is. I’m going to keep it at 3 seconds till I find that to be too long and then shift to 2 sec.
Mine is not working. Do you have Commander Gen 1 or 2?? I have 2021+ Model S running 2023.44.30.5.1 , but the SEXY Commander seems to think I have Model 3. Anyway, the setup works but autosteer doesn’t reengage after lane change.

Als je Auto Lange Change hebt, dan heb je deze feature niet nodig. Dit is juist bedoeld om de irritatie van een laanwisseling met "standaard" AP weg te nemen. Een beetje overbodig naar mijn mening, want met de S3XY buttons hadden we al een prima oplossing: een knopje achterop het stuur plakken, zodat je met de vingers waarmee je de richtingaanwijzer bediende, de Autosteer weer aan kan zetten.

PS: We zitten hier in het Nederlandstalige deel. Hoewel @SandeepT in het Engels schrijft, heeft hij aangegeven dat hij prima Nederlands kan lezen. Het is eigenlijk niet nodig om op Engels over te schakelen als je hem beantwoordt. Ik schakel dus even terug naar Nederlands.

Reactions: SandeepT
Does this feature require the use of Autosteer? Or will Autopilot also re-engage after a manual lane change?

It requires that you do all of these in the right order
- Be in AutoPilot
- Indicate to turn
- Disable autosteer by moving the steering (do not disconnect autopilot by stalks or S3XY button or hitting the brake)
- Make the lane change and let the indicator turn itself off (I have set it so that the car turns it off, else I have to manually turn it off)
- Now wait for the set timeout (3 sec in my case)

You do your lain change and click the lever twice, forget to count, don't check anything and don't have to yes, because that works just as well (or better) and certainly faster...

Very valid. This is how I was doing it for 9 months. And yes, its faster and more 'deliberate'. You should continue to do so.

The reason why I want this 'Continuous Autopilot' is because this is the standard way of autosteer on the E-GMP platform (Kia and Hyundai). I really liked this feature when I test drove eNioro and Ioniq 5. Also, if one has Enhanced AutoPilot (that costs 3800 Euros) AutoSteer gets re-reengaged automatically. So, with the S3XY commander I get the same features for much less money.

Mine is not working. Do you have Commander Gen 1 or 2?? I have 2021+ Model S running 2023.44.30.5.1 , but the SEXY Commander seems to think I have Model 3. Anyway, the setup works but autosteer doesn’t reengage after lane change.

I do have the Gen 2 commander. But if you have Gen 1 and in your app you get the option to enable Continuous Autopilot, you should be able to have this feature. Maybe discuss this with their team on their Discord channel. I need to find the URL to their Discord.

Does this feature require the use of Auto Lane Change? Or will Autopilot also re-engage after a manual lane change?

If you have 'Auto Lane Change', you have EAP. If you have EAP, you already have automatic re-engage of AutoSteer.

But if you were not yet in Autosteer and you change lanes, this should not engage AutoSteer.

PS: We are here in the Dutch part. Although @SandeepT writes in English, he has indicated that he can read Dutch just fine. There's actually no need to switch to English when you answer it. So I'll switch back to Dutch for a moment.
Correct. Google Translate to the rescue. You are free to reply in whatever language you prefer. That is freedom!