Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rock.jpg

Community-based navigation:
Free Community-based Mapping, Traffic & Navigation App

I've been using Waze + Google Maps on the way home for 4 years now in California (sue me, I'm a nerd)... and naturally after getting my Model S on Monday I've added it to the mix. Overall I'm not impressed but also not unimpressed...

By far, Waze and Google Maps comes up with far better routes for my commute in dense California traffic. It seems like primarily, Tesla refuses to take back roads (e.g. Cut through neighborhoods). It's definitely not Google Maps' algorithm, because Google Maps suggests a very different route. Tonight, my shortest route had a 25 minute ETA per Google and Waze (it ended up being around 30 minutes -- they're always too optimistic and don't account for long traffic lights)... But the Tesla navigation claimed an unrealistic 18 minute ETA, and the route that it took wasn't even offered by Google Maps, but Waze offered it with a 38 minute ETA. Based off my past experience, getting on that particular road would have definitely resulted in a ~40 minute commute.

So bottom line is, something more like Waze or actual Google Maps routing would be killer for those of us with dense city commutes and a million different ways to get home... But with that said, I don't mean to rag on Tesla's nav. It's definitely better than any other luxury car nav system I've used, and their POI search is top notch, and that's what tends to matter.

I'm sure it'll be more than adequate for making long interstate trips where cutting through neighborhoods isn't applicable. BUT for my commute, having Waze on the big screen would be a game changer!

... But with that said, I don't mean to rag on Tesla's nav. It's definitely better than any other luxury car nav system I've used, and their POI search is top notch, and that's what tends to matter.

I was with you until you said that. Wait until Tesla's nav takes you in circles a few times or gets lost finding a destination. Hardly better than most luxury cars. No waypoints, bad map data, no route choices, etc, etc. I think once you've had your car awhile and read other owners experiences with Tesla nav you will understand you can't depend on it.

Definitely a regional issue. I'm here in Washington DC and there are a lot of users on the app. It's nice to know when there is a cop nearby.
Exactly! In fact DC has the 3rd most Waze users in the U.S. with L.A & NY swapping 1st and 2nd place on a routine basis. For big cities WAZE is super useful. A mirroring type APP would also do the trick. Just as Long as the map correctly scales up to the native resolution of the TESLA displays that would be perfect. Having my phone mounted on my dashboard is not ideal. Even with a 6" screen it's still not big enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Exactly! In fact DC has the 3rd most Waze users in the U.S. with L.A & NY swapping 1st and 2nd place on a routine basis. For big cities WAZE is super useful. A mirroring type APP would also do the trick. Just as Long as the map correctly scales up to the native resolution of the TESLA displays that would be perfect. Having my phone mounted on my dashboard is not ideal. Even with a 6" screen it's still not big enough.
I'm a WAZE king in the DC area, not sure if they still give out that avatar.

I'm surprised the car doesn't offer multiple routes to select from. Also needs to be able to select "avoid tolls". I live near the 73 Toll road and it always routes me that way.
I also find it ironic that Tesla's own app can't consider HOV lanes in its routing instructions. I know HOV access is temporary and perhaps not an incentive offered in every state, but the states where it is offered (i.e. California) Tesla's nav should plan routes using HOV lanes as a possibility.

I also find it ironic that Tesla's own app can't consider HOV lanes in its routing instructions. I know HOV access is temporary and perhaps not an incentive offered in every state, but the states where it is offered (i.e. California) Tesla's nav should plan routes using HOV lanes as a possibility.

I agree! What's interesting is the maps indicate if you are driving on the HOV/express lane... surely they can figure that into the route calculations.

WHAT THEY NEED:
  1. Option to avoid/use Toll Roads
  2. Option to avoid/use HOV (carpool) Lanes
  3. Option to select between various routes (3 options on other navs)
  4. Option to avoid specific areas (i.e. avoid the 5FWY/91FWY intersection, etc)

LOL! Here in California the cops use WAZE to get you to slow down...("police reported ahead...")
Seriously? I kind of wonder if this is not absolutely true. Sometimes you see these reports and there are no LEO's anywhere near the area even though it's been saturated with reports. You kind of wonder if there is not some CHP or CalTrans geeks looking over the real-time speed reports and playing with WAZE and watching what happens right after they make some false reports just to see the response. :)

Seriously? I kind of wonder if this is not absolutely true. Sometimes you see these reports and there are no LEO's anywhere near the area even though it's been saturated with reports. You kind of wonder if there is not some CHP or CalTrans geeks looking over the real-time speed reports and playing with WAZE and watching what happens right after they make some false reports just to see the response. :)

Seems unlikely the police would post false reports...less revenue.

I agree! What's interesting is the maps indicate if you are driving on the HOV/express lane... surely they can figure that into the route calculations.

WHAT THEY NEED:
  1. Option to avoid/use Toll Roads
  2. Option to avoid/use HOV (carpool) Lanes
  3. Option to select between various routes (3 options on other navs)
  4. Option to avoid specific areas (i.e. avoid the 5FWY/91FWY intersection, etc)
Yeah. The carpool thing still baffles me. There's a carpool entrance to the Bay Bridge near my office. If I ever need to use nav to go somewhere other than home from my office it nags me constantly to turn around and enter the bridge from the "normal" lane. Come to think of it, I think it even does this when I'm going through the HOV entrance during non-HOV restricted periods.

Seems unlikely the police would post false reports...less revenue.

I know from news articles that LAPD has been talking with WAZE about several issues. They were concerned that cops could be tracked using WAZE. For a while there were so many 'police reported ahead' warnings driving through LA, it was obvious something was going on. 90% of the time there was no police. It could be cops placing these warning to slow down people, it could be WAZE placing them in sections where traffic exceeds the speed limit by a certain amount. I also know some cities had urged WAZE to not direct traffic through certain areas where they don't want it. I still think WAZE is great, but since it has become so big and used by so many people, it is becoming subject to 'officials' messing with it.

My first introduction to Waze was the Waze of Tesla page. Now I use it all the time to get early warnings of road conditions, hazard, and police. However, because it is not integrated sometimes I also have to have the navigation map displayed.

So, yes please, I would really like to see it get integrated into the regular navigation map!

Also, I'd like a new mini-app (or whatever the optional displays next to the speedometer) which looks ahead down the road and turns a bright color to warn of upcoming issues. To me that would be even more useful than having to glance at a map display to figure it out myself.

Finally, I'd like to be able to give back to the Waze community by being able to log these things; something the current Waze for Tesla page does not allow.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
  • Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU