Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watt hours per mile to attain projected range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I may ask a question: it is my understanding that the trip meter Wh/mi (or Wh/km in my case) is only driving consumption, and excludes other parasitic consumption such as HVAC, correct? So even achieving the magic consumption still won't achieve the rated range?
It will include all consumption while driving, including HVAC. However, there can also be consumption while parked. Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection with AC can significantly increase the consumption while parked. So can frequently checking the app and causing the car to turn on. When the car is turned on, it uses about 0.4 kW.

If you are able to regularly drive in the way required to hit EPA range in a model 3, you will be one of the very (very very very) few I have seen post they can do that, compared with the at least 2 posts every day since I have been here (late nov 2018) with some variation of "not getting range!"
I find it easy to beat the EPA economy when there is nothing on the roof rack. But I have beaten the EPA economy in other cars as well.

I do usually have the HVAC off in the usually mild climate I drive in.

I find it easy to beat the EPA economy when there is nothing on the roof rack. But I have beaten the EPA economy in other cars as well.

I do usually have the HVAC off in the usually mild climate I drive in.
In the SR+ it is relatively easy to do (as far as I can tell from posting of others - never had one myself, though would like to try it). It does use a smaller scalar but not that small. It just is very efficient. The AWD cars, it is tough. And we are never getting the PM motors front and back; might be easier then but maybe not.

I think SR+ NCA was the pinnacle but people do ok with LPF too.

Last edited:
The majority of my drives beat the EPA range. Lifetime wh/mi just bumped up from 229 to 230 (24K miles), because of the colder temps as we head into winter.

2022 LR AWD. And, no, I don't drive softly.

Tesla_Efficicency_vs_Odometer.jpeg

think SR+ NCA was the pinnacle but people do ok with LPF too.

The 2021 SR+ NCA had the highest EPA efficiency out of all Model 3.

The 2021 54 kWh LFP version is not listed on fueleconomy.gov , but there was a window sticker photo posted here back then showing a 1 MPGe lower EPA rating. The 2022-2023 with the larger (heavier) 60 kWh LFP battery had a lower EPA rating by more than that.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The 2021 SR+ NCA had the highest EPA efficiency out of all Model 3.
Yeah it did quite a bit better on UDDS than LFP, I was reminded a few days ago when I happened to be comparing.

Lifetime wh/mi just bumped up from 229 to 230
This is good; my lifetime is about 300Wh/mi. Don’t think running aero all the time would have got it below 260.

Rated for that car is 79kWh/358mi I think. 220Wh/mi.

Mile-for-mile rolloff on display on is about 211Wh/mi.

I have the 2021 SR+ NCA and it is rated at 205wh/mi. I've gotten as low as 141wh/mi on leisurely drives where no climate is needed. This is usually doing 40-50mph on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn/Queens out to JFK where you really can't go much faster. It is flat except for a few bridges.

On longer interstate trips I get around 225wh/mi with whatever climate is needed, heat or A/C.

Usable capacity is less so probably about 75.5 kWh. Giving approx 225 Wh/mi.

That will be very difficult to achieve unless you never use HVAC and don’t drive faster than like 45mph.
Not really. Where I live in Western France, over the summer months (and generally between April/May and September/October) I can get around 140 Wh/kM (=225 Wh/Mi) in my M3 LR 2021, HVAC included.