Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water condensation in tail light trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Same issue and can be fixed. Dries out quickly in my experience so will wait and batch up some of the smaller problems for a single service visit.

Mine does not seem to be drying up, and now covers the entire lens... I won't make a special trip to get it fixed, but will ask about it the next time the car goes in.

2A872D76-0966-4293-B00A-288D1F061C5A.JPG

Does anyone know what they have been doing to "fix" this the times you have taken it in? Just noticed the problem today for the first time after 9,000 miles. I haven't seen this problem in the past. Anyone know where the water is getting in?

IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG

Does anyone know what they have been doing to "fix" this the times you have taken it in? Just noticed the problem today for the first time after 9,000 miles. I haven't seen this problem in the past. Anyone know where the water is getting in?
When they did mine last week they installed a new trim piece with new foam tape. Not sure if they're just replacing the foam tape for others. The water is getting in between the chrome trim piece and the light lens itself. It's purely "cosmetic" in that the water is not in the light assembly, but simply trapped in between the trim and lens.

Our P85+ also had this upon delivery on Nov 29 2013. They could not do anything about it at the time and my wife had no interest in waiting around for them to fix it at the time, so we still need to bring it back to be fixed. Disappointing that they delivered the car when it was plainly obvious under the bright lights in the delivery room.

When they did mine last week they installed a new trim piece with new foam tape. Not sure if they're just replacing the foam tape for others. The water is getting in between the chrome trim piece and the light lens itself. It's purely "cosmetic" in that the water is not in the light assembly, but simply trapped in between the trim and lens.

This description is absolutely correct and it's always kinda bugged me that the thread title is wrong (I'll update it). Tesla reuses the trim if they can get it off in one piece, it's easily bent and so sometimes creases when it's being removed; that's why they are generally only replacing the foam tape, if you get a new trim piece it's because yours got damaged during removal.

- - - Updated - - -

Mod Note: thread title updated to reflect that condensation is in the trim and not the light itself.

Still happening on newer vehicles. I picked up 56107 on Wedesday September, 24th and I noticed it on both side last night. Only one side has the issue this morning. Living in the Seattle area I suspect until I get them to fix this it's going to be a persistent issue.

IMG_2603.jpg