Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, no kidding. We've got an active discussion on the StLouis Tesla Meetup forum on this subject.

Even the longest projections leave a huge gap in Arkansas and Southern MO

Well that would give me an excuse for not visiting my in-laws. But since my wife will inherit their 100 acres and A-Frame vacation home in Mountain View we are obligated to visit several times a year. Right now our Volt fills the bill.

Awesome. Seeing news of Goodland, KS, now I'm getting excited.

I'm curious to see if they put a single Supercharger between KC and St. Louis near Columbia or if they decide to put in 2 Superchargers around say Concordia and maybe something at or between Kingdom City and Warrenton. One in Columbia seems great for travel between KC and St. Louis but if you are going further, it would be a stretch to make it to Topeka in the west or somewhere past St. Louis in the east.

One in Columbia seems great for travel between KC and St. Louis.

Yes. I have stopped at Joe Machens Nissan to charge up in Columbia traveling between KC and St. Louis. But, now that you mention it, I would prefer 2 superchargers as that would allow travelers who would likely be leaving either city with a full charge to skip the closer charger, charge up at the further charger and arrive in the next city with a higher state of charge. Of course, if there were superchargers in KC and St. Louis then we could just charge up when we arrived...

But, really, I don't care where they are as long as they are 150-200 miles apart and in place as soon as possible.

Two superchargers between KC & STL is an interesting thought. I was actually in Columbia last week at a renewable energy conference and spoke with someone who was with either the city or the local utility. He confirmed that Tesla had been in touch regarding installing a supercharger at the mall right there on 70, but that was two months ago, and they haven't heard back since. So no news really, just a confirmation that we are on Tesla's near term radar.

Two superchargers between KC & STL is an interesting thought. I was actually in Columbia last week at a renewable energy conference and spoke with someone who was with either the city or the local utility. He confirmed that Tesla had been in touch regarding installing a supercharger at the mall right there on 70, but that was two months ago, and they haven't heard back since. So no news really, just a confirmation that we are on Tesla's near term radar.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. The Mall would be okay with the exception of near Christmas time. In the past, near Christmas every single parking spot in the mall has been filled with people parking in the grass. I guarantee that Supercharger spots in the mall lot would get ICE'd during the Christmas shopping rush (likely a problem at all Superchargers that get installed at malls across the country -- beware of that when traveling for Christmas). Tesla would probably be better off putting the Superchargers in the Holiday Inn lot across the street from the mall (assuming the new stop lights have crosswalks; I haven't looked closely enough to tell). They have a huge lot and I don't think it ever fills up, and you can still walk to the mall from there.

Interesting there was a renewable energy conference in Columbia. Columbia seems to pride itself on being green, which makes it all the more irritating that the city doesn't have a single public L2 charger (there is the Nissan dealership, but I don't consider that public).

I have heard that the Supercharger sites from Denver to St Louis will be as follows. Denver is supposed to get a permanent Supercharger site, hopefully west of the I-70/I-25 interchange, but I have not heard anything about St Louis, itself. See Denver, CO to St Louis, MO - Google Maps for reference; the Independence location is only an intelligent guess.

Denver, CO
Limon, CO - 89 miles
Goodland, KS - 109 miles
Hays, KS - 144 miles
Salina, KS - 97 miles
Topeka, KS - 111 miles
Independence, MO - 74 miles
Colombia, MO - 115 miles
St Louis, MO - 125 miles

If these rumors that I have heard pan out, it will be a very nice, well-spaced set of Superchargers along I-70 between Denver and St Louis. The only site that we have real confirmation on is Goodland, KS, but keep an eye out at the other locations. I hope these all get installed by the summer!

I have heard that the Supercharger sites from Denver to St Louis will be as follows. Denver is supposed to get a permanent Supercharger site, hopefully west of the I-70/I-25 interchange, but I have not heard anything about St Louis, itself. See Denver, CO to St Louis, MO - Google Maps for reference; the Independence location is only an intelligent guess.

Denver, CO
Limon, CO - 89 miles
Goodland, KS - 109 miles
Hays, KS - 144 miles
Salina, KS - 97 miles
Topeka, KS - 111 miles
Colombia, MO - 115 miles
St Louis, MO - 125 miles

If these rumors that I have heard pan out, it will be a very nice, well-spaced set of Superchargers along I-70 between Denver and St Louis. The only site that we have real confirmation on is Goodland, KS, but keep an eye out at the other locations. I hope these all get installed by the summer!
sure hope that turns out to be true, that would be great even in winter with a loaded vehicle and skis on top those distances will be easily reachable at interstate speeds.

Denver, CO
Limon, CO - 89 miles
Goodland, KS - 109 miles
Hays, KS - 144 miles
Salina, KS - 97 miles
Topeka, KS - 111 miles
Colombia, MO - 115 miles
St Louis, MO - 125 miles

Sounds good to me, although I think Concordia or Odessa would be a better choice than Independence. Independence is big, considered part of Kansas City, and would likely get a lot of locals charging there. Unless the thought is that it would also serve a dual purpose for North/South traffic through Kansas City, in which case Independence then makes some sense.

Sounds good to me, although I think Concordia or Odessa would be a better choice than Independence. Independence is big, considered part of Kansas City, and would likely get a lot of locals charging there. Unless the thought is that it would also serve a dual purpose for North/South traffic through Kansas City, in which case Independence then makes some sense.

I reached out to a city commissioner in Hays in late March and they were unaware of what a Tesla Supercharger is. I'm not sure that Hays will be the destination or maybe they just haven't started talks yet.

I did talk to a contractor recently and I know they were in IL/St Louis area scouting some locations. However I think that step is fairly early in the process so I wouldn't read into it too much.

I've been looking at this report for something that looks like it could be a Tesla Supercharger permit: Construction Permit Reports

Hard to say what to look for though. Something marked as commercial. Definitely if it lists the name as Black and Veatch, but who knows, they might use other companies. Something in the neighborhood of $150K? So far, I haven't found anything that looks like a winner.

Denver, CO
Limon, CO - 89 miles
Goodland, KS - 109 miles
Hays, KS - 144 miles
Salina, KS - 97 miles
Topeka, KS - 111 miles
Colombia, MO - 115 miles
St Louis, MO - 125 miles

I have a neighbor who works for one of the contractors involved in Supercharger station builds and got confirmation on these locations (at least in the current plan): Limon, CO; Hays, KS; Salina, KS; Topeka, KS; and Columbia, MO.

I have a neighbor who works for one of the contractors involved in Supercharger station builds and got confirmation on these locations (at least in the current plan): Limon, CO; Hays, KS; Salina, KS; Topeka, KS; and Columbia, MO.
Limon to Hayes is 249 miles...gotta be something in between. and certainly STL and KC will need a charger in the vicinity.

Need some reconnaissance around Limon. Town manager was reluctant on the phone a few weeks ago, and told me "you will have to wait until a permit is issued, then send a FOIA request…" Geez. What is this ? State secrets ? Anyway, Limon is just about the assured location for #1 out of Denver. There is a "newer" (for Limon) Holiday Inn Express on the west side of town with a decent parking lot and food around, that would be my beer bet...:biggrin:

Limon to Hayes is 249 miles...gotta be something in between. and certainly STL and KC will need a charger in the vicinity.

I'd agree that there will probably need to be another one located between Topeka and Columbia (~185 miles), but he was not aware of the location. The company I work for does do the project management and design on the Tesla Superchargers, but I'm not in the same division. I don't think my neighbor knows much about the scheduling aspect either.