Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted: Electrician recommendations for Sammamish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS recommended Neighborhood Electric for the 14-50 install and they are who I used. The house is 60 years old and the electrical panel was upgraded 10 years ago. Enough juice into the house as the kitchen range, HW heater, furnace and dryer were all converted to gas when the house was purchased. Had to run 25ft of conduit from the utility room to the garage and had them also install a 120v 20amp GFCI circuit for the holiday lights. $936 included $110 for the 110v receptacle and $150 for the permit and maybe $60 travel charge. Did fine work, in and out in under two hours.
20131010_tesla_0004.jpg

Yeah, the cable looks a bit tacky handing there with the never-used hose. May get the Tesla cable and plug holder to class it up a bit.

Last edited:
Since this seems to be where folks post their install experiences...

I just had my HPWC installed. 100A circuit run from the breaker panel in one corner of the garage to the diagonally opposite corner (near where the car will be parked), a pretty significant distance. Nice-looking plastic conduit installation, HPWC installed and tested. $890 by Washington Power and Light.

DIY NIMA 14-50 installation

Did a DIY 14-50 NEMA installation for about $150 with the help of a car repair buddy that knows quite a bit about high voltage electricity. Most of the expense was a 36 foot 50AMP RV extension cord to run the power to the opposite site of the garage (panel and Tesla plug on opposite end of a 2 car garage)50A breaker + NEMA 14-50 box + short run of >50A rated ROMEX wire from home depot is like $2536 foot 50A RV extension cord with NEMA 14-50 plugs for $120 from ebay + some mounts to hold up this heavy extension cord across the the garageProbably not code but I can just take down the RV extension cord when time to sell the house :)My electrical panel is old and didn't have a cut off switch. Need to be extra careful working around these :)When this setup is charging, a simple temperature check reveals where the weakest point is- Tesla's portable charger adapter's thin cord is the hottest- 50A breaker in the electrical panel is a little warm- 36 feet of RV extension cord is cool as a cucumber. The cord is like an inch thick- car charge at 40A with no problem (until the new firmware set the default limit back to 35A)Its pretty clear the extension cord is actually the most over speced part of the system :)Just a note for those that want the NEMA 14-50 plug next to their panel and run the rest of the path with a 50A RV extension cord.
DSCF7228.jpg
DSCF7229.jpg
DSCF7230.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes, the post stripped all my returns and spaces and made it unreadable. Here it is again

Did a DIY 14-50 NEMA installation for about $150 with the help of a car repair buddy that knows quite a bit about high voltage electricity. Most of the expense was a 36 foot 50AMP RV extension cord to run the power to the opposite site of the garage (panel and Tesla plug on opposite end of a 2 car garage)

Here is the cost breakdown

50A breaker + NEMA 14-50 box + short run of >50A rated ROMEX wire from home depot is like $25
36 foot 50A RV extension cord with NEMA 14-50 plugs for $120 from ebay + some mounts to hold up this heavy extension cord across the the garage

Probably not code but I can just take down the RV extension cord when time to sell the house

My electrical panel is old and didn't have a cut off switch. Need to be extra careful working around these

When this setup is charging, a simple temperature check reveals where the weakest point is

Tesla's portable charger adapter's thin cord is the hottest
50A breaker in the electrical panel is a little warm
36 feet of RV extension cord is cool as a cucumber. The cord is like an inch thick
car charge at 40A with no problem (until the new firmware set the default limit back to 35A)

Its pretty clear the extension cord is actually the most over SPECed part of the system

Just a note for those that want the NEMA 14-50 plug next to their panel and run the rest of the path with a 50A RV extension cord.