Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanker in Weston Hit and Run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree with everything of the Op and I would be teed off too, it's possible the stop is not because of hitting the Tesla. Not that I think this is the case, but in the video you can see cars pulling out to the right. The GMC stops for a moment (presumably to ponder if he should leave a note for hitting the Tesla), but it is possible he is just waiting his turn after the red car finishes pulling out. Note that the GMC pulls out right after the red car passes by.

I think it's possible that he thought that he ran something over like a speedbump, or a concrete barrier, or god knows what. He obviously recognized that he hit SOMETHING, but without knowing what happened in his head afterwards, I can't make a judgement from that video. I recently got an Expedition as a loaner car from Tesla Burlingame. The car is a boat -- I could barely tell what was going around me.

My dash cam turns off with the ignition since I run it to the lighter socket. If I come back to find damage after being parked, I'm going to kick myself so I better change that and find a source of constant on. I also need to get a dual cam to point backwards too.

There are several sources of constant power discussed in some of the Blackvue installation threads. Some of them vary depending on when your car was manufactured. I believe there is also a description of a pretty simple modification you can make to the fuse box to provide constant power to the 12V adapter. Until you switch cams, or add a rear cam, that may be the simplest thing for you to do.

I've always thought that high end automakers with all the camera technology built in should allow the driver/owner to access and record information. I understand their hesitancy from a liability/legal perspective. Also do they really want their hard-drives pulled out for an accident claim.

My thought is what if they just have a direct or secondary feed to a USB port so that we can loop record onto some external hard-drive/chip we bring to the car. Presumably the images are being used for autopilot, etc... This way we can take advantage of the built in technology and they can keep their hard-drives secure.

Update
I took the video to Broward Sheriffs Office in Weston an hour later I get a call from BSO.
Both registered owners names, Make, Year, Color, License, Vin, and Insurance info
Thanks mate.

So I Google the name and come up with a person working for the school board so I send a very nice email asking if she was the one who hit my car..................nothing.

So I called her at her job and told her if she was the owner of the Silver GMC license plate AWZ C56 and Geico policy 123456 that she needs to call Geico and accept responsibility, that I was not out to press charges but I would if she did not own up (This was a bluff as BSO said there was no clear shot of the driver)

"I was not driving but it is my SUV"

She called Geico and admitted responsibility so that's sorted.

For less than $400 get a blackvue 2 channel it has now saved me over $10k in two accidents where the other driver has blamed me or left the scene.

I cannot emphasize enough in this day of inconsiderate as*h*les it is you best defense in cases where there are conflicting reports of an accident.

Update
I took the video to Broward Sheriffs Office in Weston an hour later I get a call from BSO.
Both registered owners names, Make, Year, Color, License, Vin, and Insurance info
Thanks mate.

So I Google the name and come up with a person working for the school board so I send a very nice email asking if she was the one who hit my car..................nothing.

So I called her at her job and told her if she was the owner of the Silver GMC license plate AWZ C56 and Geico policy 123456 that she needs to call Geico and accept responsibility, that I was not out to press charges but I would if she did not own up (This was a bluff as BSO said there was no clear shot of the driver)

"I was not driving but it is my SUV"

She called Geico and admitted responsibility so that's sorted.

For less than $400 get a blackvue 2 channel it has now saved me over $10k in two accidents where the other driver has blamed me or left the scene.

I cannot emphasize enough in this day of inconsiderate as*h*les it is you best defense in cases where there are conflicting reports of an accident.

Do you have both front and rear Blackvue cameras? Front only camera would not see any hits from behind.

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but have you ever hit anyone in a parking lot?
I don't think that's the issue. It's the fact that the driver stopped - obviously because the driver realized the MS was hit - and drove off.

Wouldn't matter if the OP has hit 1,000 cars in a lot. It's the fact that this driver (and the one that hit mine) didn't have the f'ing decency to leave a note.

I don't think that's the issue. It's the fact that the driver stopped - obviously because the driver realized the MS was hit - and drove off.

Wouldn't matter if the OP has hit 1,000 cars in a lot. It's the fact that this driver (and the one that hit mine) didn't have the f'ing decency to leave a note.

Well, that was what I was going to ask him, so I'll ask you - have you hit someone in a parking lot? If so, did you leave a note?

Lots of people think "I'll do the right thing in any situation" but if they saw themselves from other people's perspectives they'd know they actually don't. I can think of a million reasons a good honest person might have driven off in that exact situation. But everybody on this thread seems to have passed judgement. I'm posting this even though I know I'll get flamed. Its immature to make statements about people, call them names and so forth when you don't know all the facts. Flame away!

Update

Do you have both front and rear Blackvue cameras? Front only camera would not see any hits from behind.

2 channel = 2 cameras, so most likely he has them mounted in both the front and rear.

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but have you ever hit anyone in a parking lot?

I've never hit anyone in a parking lot.

Well, that was what I was going to ask him, so I'll ask you - have you hit someone in a parking lot? If so, did you leave a note?

Lots of people think "I'll do the right thing in any situation" but if they saw themselves from other people's perspectives they'd know they actually don't. I can think of a million reasons a good honest person might have driven off in that exact situation. But everybody on this thread seems to have passed judgement. I'm posting this even though I know I'll get flamed. Its immature to make statements about people, call them names and so forth when you don't know all the facts. Flame away!

It is a second degree misdemeanor, punishable by 60 days in prison and a sizable fine. And it's the wrong thing to do. I won't flame you, but I would flame the perp just like Steve did. I'll also ask you if anyone has committed a hit and run on your property? Did you have pleasant thoughts about them?

Also, I'll bet she perjured herself to her insurance company, which is a 1st degree misdemeanor, which carries a year in prison.

Nope

- - - Updated - - -

Nope have not hit anyone, and as for everyone passing judgment.

They admitted fault which means they new dam well they hit a car so as for the "name calling" and "you don't know all the facts" statement I do. They hit my car stopped drove off and got caught cause I have a Dash cam........end of story.

Two days ago I had a highway sideswipe hit-and-run. Got it all on my 2-channel dashcam!

I caught up to the guy, but he refused to pull over.

Amazingly enough, when I stopped, I couldn't find any damage on my left front fender or bumper where he hit me.

I'll post the videos later tonight or tomorrow.

I can agree more, everyone should get a dash camera in their car. I have been able to provide a video to someone else helping them out when they got hit and the guy took off. I was rear-ended once and just mentioning the dash came helped make the claim good very smooth.
So far I have never been in a serious accident, but the investment of a dash cam is a no brainer thinking of how much money and trouble it can save you if something happens. And yes I had mine installed so it runs 24/7 regardless of the car being on or off. I also make it a point to back into parking spots so the front camera (which has a larger view and better quality) records the important side.