Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a Model S some questions from a newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used 2018 Model S 75D from a 3rd party dealer and traded my 17 Chevy Volt. Got a pretty good deal on both. I've had the car a few days and I'm really enjoying it so far. The dealer I bought from really sucked, didn't have a clue what they were doing with it, and took about 3 days to complete the deal because that's how long it took them just to get it charged up to full so I could see the range... Which is my first question. It was showing 226 at 100% when I bought it. Today was showing 228 at 100% I've been charging to 80 - 90% in between like is suggested but is that normal range for a 5 year old car? I thought it looked pretty good and figured winter and driving habits of previous owner might factor in on that number and expect them to go up this spring summer. I've only had it for a week so seeing a 2 mile increase already seems pretty good. The only issue I've had so far is a sticky driver side back door handle that presents but takes a couple pulls to finally open. Seems to be recessed in a little farther than the others and I saw a video for adjusting it on YouTube so figured I try that before I get to concerned. It's got a couple of recalls on it so I figured I'd schedule a service appointment and have Tesla look it over while it's there. I've read all about what a nightmare Tesla service can be so I cant wait, hopefully I have a better experience.

I thought I'd post about my experience transferring ownership and activating the car on the app. I talked to the dealer about contacting the previous owner the day I bought it to see if they could transfer the ownership to me but found out from my salesman who got ahold of them that they already deactivated the car in their account. This ended up worked out in my favor I guess. I decided to try it at work the next day and sent in the bill of sale and my license for the docs and connected the car to my mobile hot-spot. Literally 5 seconds after I hit submit on the app my cars screens went black. I about craped myself thinking only the worst... But about 45 seconds later everything rebooted and I had total control in the app and ownership was transferred to me. The previous owner had bought FSD and I guess did the upgrade for the cameras because everything is working and I still have it all active after the transfer so that was a huge relief too. The dealer had know idea it had FSD and I suspected if they had would have been asking more for the car.
20230301_174211.jpg

Reactions: SilverGS and saj070
Winter driving habits and driving habits of the prior owner have no influence on the displayed rated range shown on the dash. That value is based upon the BMS estimate of the batteries capacity, using a fixed constant for the car in terms of Wh/mi, and driving history has no influence.

Tesla makes some comments about this on their website in a support document on range. Range Tips | Tesla Support

The key statement under what is range is:

Displayed range in your Tesla is adapted based on fixed EPA test data, not your personal driving patterns. It’s natural for this to fluctuate slightly based on how you charge the battery throughout its life and how the onboard computer calculates range.​

Relative to the comment round "how you charge your car", that gets into the BMS calibration potentially drifting. That can happen if you don't drive very far each day and top up the charge every day.

I'm sorry that I really cannot help you with what a reasonable range is that you should expect for your 75D. My experience is with a 90D that I've owned since mid-2016.

Congrats on your car purchase!

The original EPA range for the 75D was 259 miles. At 228 miles over 5 years, that's about a 9% reduction, which seems normal to me. Most of the reduction is in the first year or two and then the degradation reduces to about 1 to 1.5%/year. Lots of variables make this hard to be precise - including temperatures, miles driven, age, how it was charged, charge levels, etc.

Winter driving habits and driving habits of the prior owner have no influence on the displayed rated range shown on the dash. That value is based upon the BMS estimate of the batteries capacity, using a fixed constant for the car in terms of Wh/mi, and driving history has no influence.

Tesla makes some comments about this on their website in a support document on range. Range Tips | Tesla Support

The key statement under what is range is:

Displayed range in your Tesla is adapted based on fixed EPA test data, not your personal driving patterns. It’s natural for this to fluctuate slightly based on how you charge the battery throughout its life and how the onboard computer calculates range.​

Relative to the comment round "how you charge your car", that gets into the BMS calibration potentially drifting. That can happen if you don't drive very far each day and top up the charge every day.

I'm sorry that I really cannot help you with what a reasonable range is that you should expect for your 75D. My experience is with a 90D that I've owned since mid-2016.
Thanks, that's what I thought it was different than my Volt on calculating the range. The first day I went to look at it at the dealer they had let it get to 0% so low the screens shut off inside while I was looking it over.

Congrats on your car purchase!

The original EPA range for the 75D was 259 miles. At 228 miles over 5 years, that's about a 9% reduction, which seems normal to me. Most of the reduction is in the first year or two and then the degradation reduces to about 1 to 1.5%/year. Lots of variables make this hard to be precise - including temperatures, miles driven, age, how it was charged, charge levels, etc.
Glad to hear I'm right around where the expected range should be. Figure the BMS might need to reset with a few charges after being run completely flat at the dealer and who know how long it was left really low while there.