Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector with non-Tesla car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, so OK, it's a Tesla charger that I was trying to use for a greater good. I have proven that it is not the best choice for vehicle compatibility and yes with the use of an adapter.

I'm not the only one who wanted to try this. Others seeing an all NACS future have mentioned it as a solution, but it's not.

You keep saying its the "Tesla charger / Tesla Wall connector", however, you seem to be repeatedly ignoring (even after its been pointed out more than once), that you are connecting that tesla wall connector to a third party, non supported, charging adapter. There IS NO "approved" Tesla to J1772 charging adapter, so any idiosyncrasies in charging behavior should start with looking at that.

If the message you are trying to say is, "I dont think its a good idea to use a Tesla / NACS to J1772 third party adapter" or "Using a Tesla / NACS third party adapter may introduce undesired results in charging starts", then yeah I understand.

Thats why you are getting some pushback. I agree with the basic premise that those Tesla to J1772 adapters should be avoided, especially since Tesla now makes a J1772 wall connector themselves, and every Tesla made still comes with a J1772 to Tesla adapter that is an OEM product for tesla, and fully supported.

You keep saying its the "Tesla charger / Tesla Wall connector", however, you seem to be repeatedly ignoring (even after its been pointed out more than once), that you are connecting that tesla wall connector to a third party, non supported, charging adapter. There IS NO "approved" Tesla to J1772 charging adapter, so any idiosyncrasies in charging behavior should start with looking at that.

If the message you are trying to say is, "I dont think its a good idea to use a Tesla / NACS to J1772 third party adapter" or "Using a Tesla / NACS third party adapter may introduce undesired results in charging starts", then yeah I understand.

Thats why you are getting some pushback. I agree with the basic premise that those Tesla to J1772 adapters should be avoided, especially since Tesla now makes a J1772 wall connector themselves, and every Tesla made still comes with a J1772 to Tesla adapter that is an OEM product for tesla, and fully supported.
I think that's a little harsh. The conclusion that you might not want to buy a Tesla Wall Connector for use with a J1772 car (because you'd have to use a third party adapter and it may not work well) is certainly a valid one. For that matter, in his particular case, the wall connector may be the main culprit as it tries to communicate using a Tesla specific protocol before defaulting back to J1772 signaling.

That said, there may be a third party adapter out there that would solve his problem. I also think the incompatibility may well be unique to the Volt (which isn't even made anymore), and not a concern for most other cars.

The conclusion that you might not want to buy a Tesla Wall Connector for use with a J1772 car (because you'd have to use a third party adapter and it may not work well) is certainly a valid one.
If only that were the conclusion being presented...
But it isn't. The conclusion repeatedly stated is that the Tesla equipment is functioning wrong and needs to be corrected.

Why not exchange the Tesla wall station for one with a J1772. It costs $100 more than the NACS one, but it may work better with your present situation. I bought one, had it installed, and ended up with a Tesla anyway. I use it with the adapter and it works perfectly on my Tesla. I did it this way because I didn’t know what kind of car I would get.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If only that were the conclusion being presented...
But it isn't. The conclusion repeatedly stated is that the Tesla equipment is functioning wrong and needs to be corrected.
From the POV of the Volt (and other J1772 cars) the TWC kinda does function wrong. The reason that NACS to J1772 adapters aren't just completely passive is because they try to deal with the Tesla specific communications and shorten the wait before getting to J1772.

And that's OK, it wasn't designed to work with J1772 cars.

My observation is that the Wall Connector works fine for destination charging. I would not notice any lost functionality in that scenario as I would have to invoke delayed charge manually if I wanted to use that feature away from home, since it uses GPS location for that feature.

I think Tesla is selling J1772 Wall Connectors again. There is a thread on this board about someone who got one to use with his Rivian and then used adapter that comes with the Tesla to charge his Tesla, but it won't work.

Why not exchange the Tesla wall station for one with a J1772. It costs $100 more than the NACS one, but it may work better with your present situation. I bought one, had it installed, and ended up with a Tesla anyway. I use it with the adapter and it works perfectly on my Tesla. I did it this way because I didn’t know what kind of car I would get.
My concern is whether it can be adapted back to NACS.

From the POV of the Volt (and other J1772 cars) the TWC kinda does function wrong. The reason that NACS to J1772 adapters aren't just completely passive is because they try to deal with the Tesla specific communications and shorten the wait before getting to J1772.

And that's OK, it wasn't designed to work with J1772 cars.
It works fine for destination charging if you are patient and don't decide it isn't working while it's negotiating the charge parameters.

Reactions: davewill
For the time being, I think adapted 3rd party J1772 is the best approach and will have the greatest compatibility in adapted situations. I was trying to be futureproof to NACS but the world is not ready for that at this moment.

My intention is to provide information to someone else who might be considering buying a Wall Connector to futureproof to NACS and someday avoid adapters. I am sorry if revealing that using a Wall Connector and adapter to charge a J1772 car resulted in a loss of functionality for delayed charge offended you. Furthermore, I am also sorry that it offended you that I considered that the Wall Connector could be improved. I hope most Tesla employees don't share your attitude. I live in Fremont, I walk among them.

My intention is to provide information to someone else who might be considering buying a Wall Connector to futureproof to NACS and someday avoid adapters. I am sorry if revealing that using a Wall Connector and adapter to charge a J1772 car resulted in a loss of functionality for delayed charge offended you. Furthermore, I am also sorry that it offended you that I considered that the Wall Connector could be improved. I hope most Tesla employees don't share your attitude. I live in Fremont, I walk among them.

There is a lot of projecting here in this post. I didnt say a thing about being offended by anything, nor am I a Tesla employee. I simply pointed out that you keep ignoring the fact that you are using a non supported, third party adapter, experiencing issues, then blaming those issues on everything but the non supported, third party adapter.

Not sure how that sounds Offended, nor am I sure where "Tesla employee" came into discussion.

There is a lot of projecting here in this post. I didnt say a thing about being offended by anything, nor am I a Tesla employee. I simply pointed out that you keep ignoring the fact that you are using a non supported, third party adapter, experiencing issues, then blaming those issues on everything but the non supported, third party adapter.

Not sure how that sounds Offended, nor am I sure where "Tesla employee" came into discussion.
You may not be a Tesla employee. I am saying I hope they don't share your attitude toward improvement.

For the time being, I think adapted 3rd party J1772 is the best approach and will have the greatest compatibility in adapted situations. I was trying to be futureproof to NACS but the world is not ready for that at this moment.
You did not buy a NACS EVSE, you bought a Tesla Wall Connector. It is intended for use with Tesla vehicles. Adapters may work but you should not expect a seamless experience with a non-Tesla vehicle on a Tesla Wall Connector. Today, people who want to select an EVSE to charge all brands or cars should choose one with a J1772 connector. Tesla vehicles charge just as well on a J1772 EVSE as any other EV does.

Your thread accomplished its goal of informing people of the nuances of using a Tesla Wall Connector with a non-Tesla vehicle.

You did not buy a NACS EVSE, you bought a Tesla Wall Connector. It is intended for use with Tesla vehicles. Adapters may work but you should not expect a seamless experience with a non-Tesla vehicle on a Tesla Wall Connector. Today, people who want to select an EVSE to charge all brands or cars should choose one with a J1772 connector. Tesla vehicles charge just as well on a J1772 EVSE as any other EV does.

Your thread accomplished its goal of informing people of the nuances of using a Tesla Wall Connector with a non-Tesla vehicle.
I have returned the Wall Connector on Amazon, the process was painless. I have posted on Amazon and a few other boards about this to prevent someone else from learning these nuances the hard way. I found a post by someone on another board who was considering doing the same thing as in a year most new cars will have NACS charge ports. I charged a Model 3 with the Tesla adapter with my Clipper Creek and there was no issue. I thought I could do that with a Wall Connector just as well to a J1772, but that isn't true.

I just installed the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector today to power my Model Y and my wife’s J1772 equipped BMW 330e. With the supplied Tesla J1772 adapter it works fine, and my wife’s car charges normally as well. Went with the J1772 to stay with fully approved Tesla connectors for each car. As noted, it cost a bit more, but no concerns about using non Tesla adapters make it well worth the extra money. The Tesla J1772 is far superior to standard J1772 plugs - lighter weight, much smaller in size, very positive engagement, and mates with the Tesla adapter flawlessly. Connection cable also lighter and longer than most, reaching both cars easily.

Highly recommended!

ONE WARNING: Be CERTAIN that your home WI-FI is a 2.4Ghz router. The Wall Connector WILL NOT WORK on a 5G network. You MUST access the internet to setup the connector and update software BEFORE the connector will charge your vehicle. My router is 5G and 2.4G, and it switches automatically based on distance to the router (Spectrum). I can’t select the frequency. It took THREE HOURS on the phone with Tesla, Spectrum mobile, Spectrum WI-FI to have them help me work through the issues so that my software could update and install. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla has been considering exactly what I tried to do with their Gen 3 Wall Connector.

They have released the Universal Wall Connector for those who wish to future proof for NACS or just be compatible with more cars.