Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're either stockpiling cars as one recent article I read speculated, or, more likely in my opinion, they will deliver cars to only Canada in June.

I don't think they are stockpiling yet, but I suspect they will be. There was a large area cleared at the GigaFactory a few weeks ago. It's at the edge of the property, but within the Tesla fence. An ideal place to stash cars for a few weeks. I expect they will be selling mostly to Canada the rest of the quarter.

I can see where they tried to get as many cars to Washington as possible to beat the sales tax break, but going over 200K because of it before July 1 would hurt a lot more people than it would benefit.

Alright, I know we see tons of these posts, but I just took delivery yesterday, so I'll add the obligatory post.

Fantastic car so far! I'm very lucky to have it before the long weekend and will get to test it out on some mountain roads.

Delivery went pretty smoothly. The fit and finish is very good, consistent [and minimal] panel gaps, etc. One minor issue, the coating on the glass roof bunched up at what looks like a small chip in the glass.
TeslaModel3_GlassRoofCloseUp.jpg
I know that is a small thing, but it does bother me. The Tesla rep was very dismissive of it, but you can see that it is a very zoomed image so I didn't make it into a larger issue. I'll take that over panel gaps, I think, and supposedly it was noted in my account. At the very least, it's documented here. It's clear Tesla has made great progress with the Model 3's, because otherwise, I couldn't find any issues. Though I expect the service centers are getting weary of having the cars put under the microscope--especially, with the fast delivery pace in Washington this month.

Also, I have the new seats and the satin finish on the steering wheel so it seems my car was a recent build despite the slightly lower VIN than others received around the same time (188XX).

Reactions: UZJedi
I have my delivery scheduled on the 30th which is cutting it super close to the deadline. I still have not received the finals documents (MVPA) to provide to my Lender (Xceed). My ISA has insisted I have the funds sent to me to bring to delivery, but with Memorial Day coming up, getting things finalized at the last minute is making me extra nervous, even if over-nighted the check to me. On top of that, my ISA has been unresponsive to my e-mails about the whole 3-day weekend issue and needing the MVPA. Should I escalate or is there still enough time to get it all figured out before delivery? TIA.

Not too happy with the SoDo service center guy so far.
Every-time I call for the update they just want to get me off the phone and BS me.
So I went by today. Same experience. "don't worry we will get it by the end of the month"
I just got the feeling like they wanted me to leave rather then actually give me some decent information. I just want them to call the factory to find out why fedex has not picked up the package

Was supposed to take delivery last week but the car had erratic windows problem.
Then I was told they damaged the knee airbag while repairing the windows.
Then the knee airbag was supposed to come in Monday, then tuesday, now it's not even shipped yet.
I asked them to call the factory and I get is vague responses.

There was also a Model 3 sitting right next to the front desk windows open doors unlocked. I assumed it was for show. So while I was waiting I sat in the car to check it out. Then the guy Im waiting for decides to come out of his office and tells me to get out of the car. WTF.

Not too happy with the SoDo service center guy so far.
Every-time I call for the update they just want to get me off the phone and BS me.
So I went by today. Same experience. "don't worry we will get it by the end of the month"
I just got the feeling like they wanted me to leave rather then actually give me some decent information. I just want them to call the factory to find out why fedex has not picked up the package

Was supposed to take delivery last week but the car had erratic windows problem.
Then I was told they damaged the knee airbag while repairing the windows.
Then the knee airbag was supposed to come in Monday, then tuesday, now it's not even shipped yet.
I asked them to call the factory and I get is vague responses.

There was also a Model 3 sitting right next to the front desk windows open doors unlocked. I assumed it was for show. So while I was waiting I sat in the car to check it out. Then the guy Im waiting for decides to come out of his office and tells me to get out of the car. WTF.
That was most certainly someone's new Model 3 who was in the process of taking delivery.

I have my delivery scheduled on the 30th which is cutting it super close to the deadline. I still have not received the finals documents (MVPA) to provide to my Lender (Xceed). My ISA has insisted I have the funds sent to me to bring to delivery, but with Memorial Day coming up, getting things finalized at the last minute is making me extra nervous, even if over-nighted the check to me. On top of that, my ISA has been unresponsive to my e-mails about the whole 3-day weekend issue and needing the MVPA. Should I escalate or is there still enough time to get it all figured out before delivery? TIA.
Current process seems to be you get docs 3d before delivery. I do not know if that's 3 business days or 3 calendar days.

Current process seems to be you get docs 3d before delivery. I do not know if that's 3 business days or 3 calendar days.

I’m taking delivery on Tuesday and I haven’t received docs or the ability to pay the non-financed balance online yet. My ISA said the portal to pay online will unlock once the docs are finished, and that they’re currently in the queue to process.

Democrats won't pass it because it is a 'handout to the wealthy'. Republicans won't pass it because 'global warming is a hoax'. I give it a 1% chance of ever being revived. The Democrats aren't entirely wrong either. $ for $ it would probably make more sense to invest in mass transit or even more Wind investment to reduce emissions.

Reactions: bbthechange
There are a number of organizations that have been talking to legislators about this over the past couple of months. I heard they had a sponsor, and quite a few legislators that get what EVs do for the economy (including indirectly via avoided costs). Various forms have passed a couple of times in the past.

But, yeah, are there enough, is the question. Knee-jerk optical reactions like the ones that im.thatoneguy pointed out are definitely a problem with some legislators.

It seems possible, though no slam dunk. Last time it passed the house, and probably would have passed the senate if the republicans hadn't decided to "punish" Inslee for something one of his deputies said. And that was with money coming out of the multi-modal account, so all the mass transit organizations were against it. Supposedly the money is coming elsewhere this time, although I have not heard where...

Ironically, as I recall, when they tried to extend it, the issue in the last session was the source of the funding. It was coming out of the same fund as bike paths etc. The bicycle advocates showed up in force to object and they got their way.
That’s why we decided not to continue to wait for AWD and picked up our LR RWD Model 3 in April. We got the sales tax break then and are still loving the car.

Reactions: UZJedi
Democrats won't pass it because it is a 'handout to the wealthy'. Republicans won't pass it because 'global warming is a hoax'. I give it a 1% chance of ever being revived. The Democrats aren't entirely wrong either. $ for $ it would probably make more sense to invest in mass transit or even more Wind investment to reduce emissions.
Many Democrats (and Inslee in particular) have gone on the record supporting it, but I see the optics issue on both sides. Seems like a good thing to have funded with part of the carbon tax, but that's not happening now. I'd like to see an exemption extended to used cars, and it shouldn't come from a competing pot with bike lanes and transit. This is an environmental issue, not a public transit one.

It's unconstitutional but I think there should be an RTA deduction. The model 3 isn't more of a premium car than a nice Honda but you pay the battery tax in the form of expensive batteries. And that price difference should be excluded from the RTA base price assessment.

The easiest thing they could do that is constitutional is just kill the EV annual "gas tax". $150/year for 4-5 years would balance out the RTA premium for owning an EV without looking bad in the press by disproportionately favoring Teslas and other high-sales-tax-EVs. And when they're ready they can then come back and start a driven-mileage system for all cars instead of taxing gasoline\EVs differently.

It's unconstitutional but I think there should be an RTA deduction. The model 3 isn't more of a premium car than a nice Honda but you pay the battery tax in the form of expensive batteries. And that price difference should be excluded from the RTA base price assessment.

The easiest thing they could do that is constitutional is just kill the EV annual "gas tax". $150/year for 4-5 years would balance out the RTA premium for owning an EV without looking bad in the press by disproportionately favoring Teslas and other high-sales-tax-EVs. And when they're ready they can then come back and start a driven-mileage system for all cars instead of taxing gasoline\EVs differently.
The RTA is a stupid voters tax, voting for "less than 1% increase", which had they done the math they would know was 3x to 4x increase, to get some pie in the sky transit system 20 years from now, which is sufficient time that they hope people forget by them. EV tax was voted in as a $10 per year tax too, another example of how government plays on voters' ignorance. It went up 10x the very next year, but no voter approval was needed.

https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/clean-transportation-policy-brief.pdf

He just rolled this out in December. The latest idea is a $1k discount off cars under $45k, and no sales tax for EV's < $15k (which means NEV's only, which is confusing because they don't really solve the problems he's going after). I thought I saw a recent story re: the tax exemption, and that he supported expanding it (letting it apply to more expensive vehicles, like the Model 3). Can't find a source for that though.

Optics aren't an issue for him here. Climate first. He's pretty clear on that.

Don't forget that next year (probably) we also get the Road Usage Charge too.

....EV tax was voted in as a $10 per year tax too, another example of how government plays on voters' ignorance. It went up 10x the very next year, but no voter approval was needed.
I call BS on this. Please provide documentation of this. I bought a Leaf in 2011 and the registration went from zero to $150 with nothing in between.