Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW Fallout: $2.0 Billion for ZEV Infrastructure Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the idea is that disadvantaged communities have a greater proportion of high emissions vehicles than the average, and that allowing them the opportunity to utilize a BEV would have a relatively high carbon impact, on a per vehicle basis. This money is only available because of an emissions scandal, afterall.
Emissions in "disadvantaged communities" are much more than carbon emissions. Studies have shown that those communities are disproportionately affected by particulate and other criteria emissions. It's not just global warming, it's direct health effects that can be reduced by these programs.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Emissions in "disadvantaged communities" are much more than carbon emissions. Studies have shown that those communities are disproportionately affected by particulate and other criteria emissions. It's not just global warming, it's direct health effects that can be reduced by these programs.
Yes! Four decades ago I lived in an apartment on a busy street in La Jolla — an upscale community even back then — and my window sills would turn black, likely from rubber particles from tires. I didn't much care to think about what it was I was breathing. It would be far worse living near a freeway or an industrial center and those tend to be in low income areas since upscale neighborhoods have the political clout to keep such things away. We can reduce pollution from fossil fuel burning, especially soot from diesels — as a bicycle commuter really, really I hate diesels — but using cars still means particulate pollution, even with EVs.

using cars still means particulate pollution, even with EVs.

I "brake" earlier in EV to use Regen 99% of the time, does that (and no brake-dust) mean less particulates?

First set of Tires on MS lasted much longer than I would have expected, so its either that most of my miles are Highway, or I am not loosing as much rubber through heavy(-ier) braking as I used to with ICE.

Autonomous won't chuck the car round the corners on two wheels like I do :p so maybe that will save some rubber-wear too

Or is all that Wishful-Thinking and not actually significant?

I "brake" earlier in EV to use Regen 99% of the time, does that (and no brake-dust) mean less particulates?

First set of Tires on MS lasted much longer than I would have expected, so its either that most of my miles are Highway, or I am not loosing as much rubber through heavy(-ier) braking as I used to with ICE.

Autonomous won't chuck the car round the corners on two wheels like I do :p so maybe that will save some rubber-wear too

Or is all that Wishful-Thinking and not actually significant?
I think that you are right that there will be a lot less brake dust created as EVs and regen take over from ICE cars. My tire wear seems to be much the same as with previous cars, save that the Tesla is heavier and has bigger tires. I seem to be getting about 30k miles. Some of my driving is steep mountain curves, however, and that is really hard on tires when compared to city or freeway driving.

It's incredibly irritating to see that some of the money is going towards H2. Building expensive stations for extremely low production vehicles, with little indication of interest among consumers, seems rather wasteful.
H2 is made from natural gas steam reformation, It is inefficent, better to burn the natural gas in the car or better to uses it to make electric genaration.

Reactions: Jeff N
Great article. I can't get over the fact that EA placed them right near a supercharger. It would be interesting to see what side of the parking lot get's more use.
I’m not sure how the charging sites got co-located. It may have been the mall’s idea. It may have been the contractor’s idea to build both sides simultaneously and adjacently in order to reduce costs. Dunno.

I think it’s good for EV drivers because it makes the location within a huge mall parking lot easier to find. With lots of EVs obviously charging it might help deter ICE’ing. If Tesla develops a CCS adapter it may someday make it easier for Tesla drivers to use the EA spaces as a backup plan.

Great article. I can't get over the fact that EA placed them right near a supercharger. It would be interesting to see what side of the parking lot get's more use.

In the short term, I don't think there will be any contest. Tesla is selling the vast majority of BEVs in the U.S. right now, let alone long range DCFC capable ones.

If someone else starts actual mass production it might get more interesting.

Reactions: SageBrush
It is one of two highway charging locations initially being added to the Bay Area by Electrify America and is among the first of the new urban-style Tesla Supercharger locations as well. The other Electrify America location is nearing completion in Novato.
While this is the first Urban Supercharger location in the East Bay, there are already Urban Superchargers in operation in Los Gatos, East Palo Alto, San Carlos, and Daly City. Those are just the Bay Area Urban Supercharger locations. So, "among the first" is a bit of a stretch since they represent 23.5% of the 17 active locations in the Bay Area core today.

Reactions: FlatSix911
In the short term, I don't think there will be any contest. Tesla is selling the vast majority of BEVs in the U.S. right now, let alone long range DCFC capable ones.

If someone else starts actual mass production it might get more interesting.
Well, VW claims it could build 50 million electric vehicles:

VW could build up to 50 million electric cars: Automotive News | Reuters

[Chief Executive Herbert Diess] said VW could build 50 million electric vehicles globally across its brands, beginning in 2020, and had battery sourcing agreements for them.

We shall see...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
While this is the first Urban Supercharger location in the East Bay, there are already Urban Superchargers in operation in Los Gatos, East Palo Alto, San Carlos, and Daly City. Those are just the Bay Area Urban Supercharger locations. So, "among the first" is a bit of a stretch since they represent 23.5% of the 17 active locations in the Bay Area core today.
That’s true but I meant to say among the first in Tesla’s US charging network. Lots of Tesla owners have never seen or heard of an urban Supercharger.

BTW, I have just added a gallery of additional photos from the site.

Last edited:
O.K., what is worldwide demand for the model 3 in 2020?
I've been wondering about that. Once the reservation backlog is taken care of, I have no idea what the demand for the Model 3 will be.

The bullish scenario would be that once the general public sees what a great car it is, compared to ICEVs, more people will want one.

The bearish case is that once Tesla fans have their Model 3s, combined with increasing numbers of EVs offered by other car manufacturers and the coming Model Y, demand will fall for the 3.

Reactions: SageBrush