Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen releasing 40 new EVs and hybrids!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volkswagen just made a major announcement and jumped on the EV/hybrid bandwagon:

http://www.streetinsider.com/Inside...lans+Large+EV,+Hybrid+Initiative/8671196.html

Basically, they are introducing 14 EVs and hybrids next year (2014), and if demand is sufficient, about 40 models will be fitted as EVs or hybrids by 2018.

The Volkswagen Group has set its sights on global market leadership in electric mobility. "We are starting at exactly the right time. We are electrifying all vehicle classes, and therefore have everything we need to make the Volkswagen Group the top automaker in all respects, including electric mobility, by 2018", Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft, said on the eve of the 65th International Motor Show in Frankfurt am Main.

Winterkorn is convinced that Volkswagen is strongly positioned: "We have the most comprehensive approach to tomorrow's mobility. From highly-efficient, eco-friendly diesel, gasoline and natural gas-fuelled engines to classical hybrids, purely battery-driven vehicles and plug-in hybrids - no other automaker can match the broad range we have to offer." The company wants to win new customers with electric vehicles that are technically mature, practical in everyday use, safe and affordable, and is showcasing models such as the all-electric e-up! and e-Golf as well as the Audi A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid and the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid, also a plug-in model, at the auto industry’s leading motor show.

According to Winterkorn: "The electric car cannot be a compromise on wheels, it must convince customers in every respect." He said that environmental compatibility and sustainability were increasingly becoming the main purchasing criterion: "From the zero-emission city car, through the plug-in hybrid all-rounder to the three-liter sports saloon: It is our customers who decide for themselves just how much e-mobility they want." He went on to say that electric-drive vehicles were a key building block for achieving the ambitious climate protection targets, and that the plug-in hybrid had the greatest market potential.

Initially, a total of 14 models from several Group brands will be available with electric or hybrid drive technology by 2014. If there is sufficient demand, up to 40 new models could be fitted with alternative drivetrains. Winterkorn underscored that Volkswagen had placed electric mobility "at the center of the Group": "We have developed the know-how for electric motors and battery systems at our own components plants, we have recruited 400 top experts for electric traction and qualified almost 70,000 development, production and service employees in this new technology – the biggest electrification training program in our industry."

The Volkswagen Group invests over seven billion euros in research and development each year. A significant share is spent on developing technologies and components for electric mobility – more than in any other field.

The key to rolling out electric mobility swiftly and efficiently across all brands and vehicle classes is the modular toolkit systems which from the start have been designed for assembling electric drives. Production in Bratislava, Puebla, Wolfsburg, Leipzig or Ingolstadt can now respond flexibly and at low risk to demand as it arises and can reduce both weight and costs through the use of proven components.

According to Winterkorn, anyone who genuinely takes ecological responsibility seriously goes one step further: "We must have a holistic mindset and a comprehensive approach to mobility – from generating energy through development, production, retail and vehicle operation right down to recycling. Our clear goal, therefore, is to lead with holistic, modern mobility concepts."

In Europe, Volkswagen Group brands currently offer 420 model variants with maximum CO2 emissions of 130 grams per kilometer, 302 models emitting a maximum of 120 g/km, 50 models emitting up to 100 g/km and 23 models emitting 95 g/km or less. The Volkswagen XL1 plug-in hybrid has the lowest emissions. The world's most efficient series production vehicle has CO2 emissions of 21 g/km, consumes 0.9 liters of fuel and has a range of 500 kilometers, making it the company's technological spearhead.

VW has some serious cash, so I wouldn't go dismissing them just yet. Between owning VW, Porsche, Audi and others--they are a serious contender trust me.

Interesting:
Volkswagen launches bold offensive for age of electric mobility
Group sets sights on market leadership in electric mobility by 2018
• Multi-billion investment in new technologies, 70,000 employees trained
• Initially choice of 14 electric and hybrid models by 2014
• Winterkorn: "We are starting at exactly the right time"

I really hope they make a car that can compete with the Model S, X and GenIII. I really do, but I highly doubt it for all the reasons that have plagued others but it all revolves around ICE. Here's to hoping Volkswagen can build something compelling from the ground up that is something that I will find more valuable than my current Tesla.

I really hope they make a car that can compete with the Model S, X and GenIII. I really do, but I highly doubt it for all the reasons that have plagued others but it all revolves around ICE. Here's to hoping Volkswagen can build something compelling from the ground up that is something that I will find more valuable than my current Tesla.

yeah that's the piece that I was confused a bit about. It sounded like they were retrofitting existing vehicle models rather than building new ones from the ground up.

Agreed. However they will use what they have now while building from the ground EVs while trying to get market share.

Even more reason Tesla needs to keep cranking.
The problem with that is when the vehicles don't sell, then they will be like "we tried, but nobody wants EV's". Good thing Tesla exists to show that people will pay good money for excellent engineering, and quality.

The problem with that is when the vehicles don't sell, then they will be like "we tried, but nobody wants EV's". Good thing Tesla exists to show that people will pay good money for excellent engineering, and quality.

Im a huge Tesla fan obviously. However huge co like VW isn't going to invest billions and just walk away. I agree their initial products may not inspire, but they have the dealer and brand network to make things happen pretty quick.

Again I look for validation of EV vs considering them a threat (albeit they could be long term).

You could buy this one for $146,040. Its called the XL1 and they expect to sell them to collectors

2078904761693993813.jpg

VW sold me a car once--never again.

I am driving a Golf GTI at the moment and it is my all time favorite car (so far / until i get a Tesla). I always loved the idea of having an electric version of this car with similar or better performance.

The E-Golf they are showing is like all non-tesla EVs, a city car. They again give it a roughly 100 mile range. This truly surprises me as most families in Europe and Asia only have one car and a car like this would make it impossible to use it for any kind of road trips. I am guessing they will combine this with a rental/loan program.

Tesla needs to worry as soon as we see some kind of indication that VW (or one of its brands) is going to build a 200+ mile car. The market share and money behind this company is truly staggering.

VW sold me a car once--never again.

First, we are all on the same page--see Tesla become a huge success.

VW owns more than just VW obviously. Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc. did they ever sell you one of those? They have sold me 3 Porsches and 2 Audis--all 5 great cars.

That's the potential concern is that they own multiple brands which could really make a dent, outside of VW. They did $192 billion Euro in revenue in 2012, so point is have the ability to dump tons into R&D.

One can just turn a blind eye or actually understand ultimately there will be true competitors to Tesla. However, competition is good. We want that. Drives prices down, innovation up, makes our Teslas more exciting down the road. I wouldn't spend $115k on a P85+ if I don't believe in the S.

More competition validates the EV market, which is a GOOD thing.

Last edited:
If existing entries like the Touareg and Jetta hybrid are good indications of direction, they will still take a back seat to their TDI line in terms of efficiency (most likely purposefully by adding extra ICE performance most hybrid buyers don't care about). Plus they probably require premium fuel.

People want things that don't suck. If they pass that bar then they can get by with an inferior product simply because they are a large company and some people are more comfortable with that.