Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, those who are having issues with their hands free - do you have pano roofs? The reason I ask is that the fascia panel in front of the pano roof - the black rectangular piece that sits between the pano roof opening and the top of the windshield - has been identified as causing air intrusion into some vehicles. Mine was replaced with a factory fix that improved the seal in that area. That section of roof sits above the hands-free microphones and dome lights, so wind noise may be causing the microphones to cut out unexpectedly. Previously, callers did tell me that they heard a lot of "hissing" in the background. But that's gone now.

I have had significant BT issues on my car, even with loaners. The call starts out ok, but then the audio starts breaking up like there are signal dropouts (although switching back to the iPhone itself clears up the problem so it's not a cell signal issue). The best description is the audio starts stuttering and dropping out so its unintelligible.

Note I'm using an iphone 5s and had the same issues on the iphone 5. Haven't tried a non Apple device. I'm on Rogers in Vancouver, Canada.

I think this might be different than the microphone issues others describe here. I can get voice recognition to work ok.

I've seen this problem now on:

1. iPhone 5 with iOS 6.x, 7.0, 7.01, 7.04, as well as iphone 5s on ios 7.04
2. Tesla OS 4.5, 5.6 and 5.8 in my car
3. The same audio breakup/playback resume disconnect issue using the aforementioned iPhone 5 on the two Tesla loaners I've used so far : an S60 and the P85 grey one.
4. Tesla replaced the whole touchscreen unit to see if this fixes the problem, but it has occurred again.

Here's what I've done in addition:
1. Changed the iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S.
2. Full wipe and erase of the iPhone 5S to remove any possible corrupted configuration from prior upgrades.
3. Forgotten the iPhone from MS and MS from iPhone, then re-paired.
3. Reset the main screen and the dashboard screens.

The biggest issue is that this is intermittent, and there are no predictable circumstances when it occurs.

Have others experienced this type of voice quality issue?

Where is your iPhone located when this happens? I have read that placing the iPhone in the little cubby underneath the 17" screen helps in many cases. Doing so puts the phone in closer proximity with the bluetooth antenna, minimizing external interference.

Same problem whether the phone is in the cubby, beside the screen or in the cupholder.

When this happens, if I have audio playing via BT, upon hanging up the call, the BT audio doesn't resume playing and the little white BT icon changes to white on the touchscreen. I then need to manually reconnect the iphone media to make it work again. Annoying.

I had issues on day one with my MS. They sent a ranger to replace the microphones. They are located in the pop-off compartment above the rearview mirror. The tech said that one thing he has noticed is that one or the other microphone is sometimes not hooked up. Mine were both (2 microphones) hooked up. He replaced both of them and everything has worked VERY well since. Most people do not even know I am talking hands-free.

@ ABVA: Just seeing the same error message from voice recognition as you. My DS says that "there is an issue with Google voice recognition in our area (Annapolis, MD)" and that is what is "unavailable". Evidently, the software for that isn't built in but is called up over the internet connection from Google. We make a recording, and it gets transmitted and is then returned as text for the local system to act upon. Sounds a bit kludgey to me, but when it works, I guess it is fine.

@ ABVA: Just seeing the same error message from voice recognition as you. My DS says that "there is an issue with Google voice recognition in our area (Annapolis, MD)" and that is what is "unavailable". Evidently, the software for that isn't built in but is called up over the internet connection from Google. We make a recording, and it gets transmitted and is then returned as text for the local system to act upon. Sounds a bit kludgey to me, but when it works, I guess it is fine.

SIRI works the same way. Your request is sampled and sent to Apple's servers for processing.

SIRI works the same way. Your request is sampled and sent to Apple's servers for processing.
This approach is actually far from kludgy: the processor power needed to decode speech and then intelligently interpret the meaning is very high. That would rapidly exhaust a local battery, so shipping the work to a super computer which is shared makes a heap of sense. It does assume of course that we are all online all the time....which fails in any poor reception areas.

Voice recognition not available

Is there any one who is having problem with Voice Recognition after 5.8 upgrade? Mine stopped working. Message displayed "Voice Recognition not available.

We got this error message after 5.9 was installed, but hadn't really tried to use VR earlier. I wrote my DS and he wrote back something about Google voice recognition having communication issues in our geographic area. Evidently the recording is passed off to Google to be rendered in text. However, I pointed out to the DS that it works fine from a browser on my computer at work. Next thing I know I have a call from Tesla saying they have corrected it on my car and to try again. Sure enough, it works fine now...

Last edited: