Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I found a small bug: when I export a trip to google maps it displays the speed of each waypoint in mph instead of kph

Great tool by the way, I LOVE it! :)

Loek, that was actually mentioned in the release notes: ;)

There are a number of places where unit conversions are not being done, including:
Speeds are always in mph in the info boxes associated with map markers
Speed triggers in the Notify Tab

I had the 25.01 version running with allow sleep and it seems it has only gathered one datapoint yesterday and today when I downloaded 25.02 and started and it gathered the next data point (I forced it to wake up the car) it seems the car has charged back its vampire losses as it's back at 90% and respective range. The two dots in graph do show the slope change for range too so it did charge, but VT didn't find it. I'm guessing it was a 4-5% charge so that takes 20-30 minutes, but I'm still surprised how VT missed it.

This is one of the things I tested before releasing and I am seeing charging occur. If you can send me your visibletesla.log file from the night this happened, that might help me find the problem. I may need to send you a special version of VT with some extra logging code to see whats going on. Can you please send me your firmware version also? You can get this by hitting the Details button in the overview tab.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it seems that after 25.02 all of my trips are gone. I extract every VT into their own new folder and use them there and I had assumed the trips are kept in the central folder where the application also keeps the graph data. But it seems 25.02 doesn't find the trips. There don't seem to be any dates with trips on them.

The first thing to do is try exporting your location data using "File->Export Location Data...". If you see valid data in the export, that tells me the problem is elsewhere. If you don't get data exported, please check the user directory where the location file and stats file are stored to ensure that they are still there and have content. If you don't know where these files are stored, go to the Prefs Tab and look at General->Advanced section. Click the "Show User Folder" button.

I have a problem with VT not starting properly. I have been using 24.00 happily. I upgraded to 25.02 this evening, but had to kill off 24.00 first as it had locked up. When I start 25.02 there's a long period when the app indicates its busy with a spinning wheel icon. During this period I can login and access the preferences tab, but none of the other tabs. Eventually the spinning wheel disappears, but I still can't access any other tabs.

I've tried deleting the Application Support/Visual Tesla directory, no difference. I've tried going back to 24.00, also with an empty app sup directory. No difference. I've rebooted my Mac, just in case... Guess what? No difference.

Any ideas?

I have a problem with VT not starting properly. I have been using 24.00 happily. I upgraded to 25.02 this evening, but had to kill off 24.00 first as it had locked up. When I start 25.02 there's a long period when the app indicates its busy with a spinning wheel icon. During this period I can login and access the preferences tab, but none of the other tabs. Eventually the spinning wheel disappears, but I still can't access any other tabs.

I've tried deleting the Application Support/Visual Tesla directory, no difference. I've tried going back to 24.00, also with an empty app sup directory. No difference. I've rebooted my Mac, just in case... Guess what? No difference.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry to here this @RCH1708. I have not witnessed this behavior. Has anyone else? If so, did you get it working again?

Please don't delete the contents of the Application Support/VisibleTesla directory unless you back it up first. That's where your statistics and location files are stored and delete them will cause you to lose all of your collected data.

If you would send me the file visibletesla.log from the folder that contains the application, I'll take a look and see if there are any clues. You can mail it to:
joe at NoRoomAtTheInn dot org
Have there been any other recent changes to your operating system, version of Java, version of firmware on your car, or other variables? You mentioned that you had to kill an instance of 0.24.00. Does that happen often?

Joe

- - - Reply to redevries andLuckyLuke - - -

Loek, that was actually mentioned in the release notes: ;)

More of these conversion errors (or omissions) will be fixed in 0.25.03, but I'm sure the must be others lingering in the code.

Ah it seems the trips weren't lost. I was just being an idiot :D The month and year had changed and I had just clicked on 25th of January, not 25th of December. Going back to December I found all my trips where they were supposed to be :) So ignore about that "bug report". Still the sleep mode lost charging cycle I'll try to get to you. I've just quit VT and renamed the log file so I'll be sending it to you in full. Hopefully you can see what happened between Jan 2nd and Jan 3rd where this charging had to occur. There's namely a Jan 2nd 12:20 datapoint with 413km range and then Jan 3rd 12:47 datapoint with 427km range (that's our ideal or what you call rated I assume that's plotted).

I'm sorry to here this @RCH1708. I have not witnessed this behavior. Has anyone else? If so, did you get it working again?

Please don't delete the contents of the Application Support/VisibleTesla directory unless you back it up first. That's where your statistics and location files are stored and delete them will cause you to lose all of your collected data.

If you would send me the file visibletesla.log from the folder that contains the application, I'll take a look and see if there are any clues. You can mail it to:
joe at NoRoomAtTheInn dot org
Have there been any other recent changes to your operating system, version of Java, version of firmware on your car, or other variables? You mentioned that you had to kill an instance of 0.24.00. Does that happen often?

Joe

- - - Reply to redevries andLuckyLuke - - -

Hi Joe, my data is not lost, I made a copy of the directory. There have been no other changes to my system, it's OSX Mavericks. Latest Java framework. I'll send you the log file a little later. If there's anything else you want me to try, let me know.

Cheers,

Rob.

No, I've never had the issue of the VT not starting properly as described.

I did have one interesting experience yesterday, regarding energy usage that VT gave me insight , and was therefore handy:

It's been cold here recently, so I opted to start warming the cabin via HVAC before a trip. At the same time I decided to try and get the pack up to temp as well (to avoid regen limiting), so I bumped the charge slider up a bit, and started the car charging.

So my surprise, the Battery Current dropped in to the negative, about -3.6A or so. Normally my battery current is about 21A and my charger power is 9KW (both about correct for my 240V/40A setup). In this case that implies I was using all 9KW of my charger power, as well as an additional 1.4KW of battery current on order to run to just the HVAC & whatever battery heaters that car may have enabled.

I've seen my car pull about 3-6KW before, but never that much, especially as it wasn't the coldest temps the car has been in (probably high 30's/low 40's in my garage). As a matter of fact, I've heard that 6KW is the max the car will pull when heating (although I'm unclear if that's battery heater alone)

In any case, it seemed rather high, so I toggled the HVAC off, then back on, and sure enough my battery current jumped back up to about 15-16 amps, with is what I expected.

Weird car behavior... not sure what happened there.

Hopefully you can see what happened between Jan 2nd and Jan 3rd where this charging had to occur. There's namely a Jan 2nd 12:20 datapoint with 413km range and then Jan 3rd 12:47 datapoint with 427km range (that's our ideal or what you call rated I assume that's plotted).

Hi Mario,

I'm glad the trip data wasn't lost.

The log you sent me starts at 01-03 12:54:03 PM so unfortunately I can't see anything about Jan 2 or before 12:54PM on Jan 3.

A cursory examination of the log shows that on the night of 12/3 (actually the morning of 12/4), VT did correctly notice that the car transitioned from sleeping to charging at 00:40 and it collected samples every two minutes (as expected) until charging stopped at 01:26 AM. If you look at your graph data, are you seeing samples between 00:40 and 01:26?

Thanks,
Joe

Any ideas?

Joe, I have a feeling that the lockup of VT is related to a comms failure with the MS. Specifically, I discovered earlier today that I couldn't get a link to the car with my iPhone - the app came with a comms timeout. Although irrelevant to VT, my 3G link failed later in the day (all of sudden no map updates), so I rebooted the main screen (while driving, which was interesting...). After the reboot, maps & TuneIn started working again. I just got home and tried VT and now it's working. So I assume that if my iPhone can't get a link to my MS, VT will have the problem that I mention. Does this seem likely?

Note that this might also explain why VT was locked up yesterday, as I have a feeling that comms to my MS failed on Friday. There's no VT data logged for Friday and also on Friday evening I couldn't get an iPhone connection with the car.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Rob.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Joe, I'm just playing with 25.02 and I have to say that its a really excellent application. Well done!

Joe, I have a feeling that the lockup of VT is related to a comms failure with the MS. Specifically, I discovered earlier today that I couldn't get a link to the car with my iPhone - the app came with a comms timeout. Although irrelevant to VT, my 3G link failed later in the day (all of sudden no map updates), so I rebooted the main screen (while driving, which was interesting...). After the reboot, maps & TuneIn started working again. I just got home and tried VT and now it's working. So I assume that if my iPhone can't get a link to my MS, VT will have the problem that I mention. Does this seem likely?

Note that this might also explain why VT was locked up yesterday, as I have a feeling that comms to my MS failed on Friday. There's no VT data logged for Friday and also on Friday evening I couldn't get an iPhone connection with the car.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Rob.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Joe, I'm just playing with 25.02 and I have to say that its a really excellent application. Well done!

Hi Rob,

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I've looked through the code and I found a path that would lead to this behavior in the event of a communications failure. Here's the flow. When VT logs in, it doesn't actually talk to the car - it talks to Tesla. This means that you can successfully log in without a communication link to the car. Right after VT logs in, it collects some basic data from the car (this happens while on the login screen). It tries repeatedly to get this information which will keep the spinner going. Usually it gets this information very quickly. When it has to wake the car first, it can take longer - about a minute. Eventually this code will give up if it can't speak to the car. What I found is that VT does not display an error dialog when this happens. it just silently fails and sits in the Login tab. The log should show this error, but that doesn't help the user. I'll fix this by displaying a message to the user if this occurs. Given your experience, I think the message will ask users to try the iPhone/Android app.

Joe

Hi Rob,

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I've looked through the code and I found a path that would lead to this behavior in the event of a communications failure. Here's the flow. When VT logs in, it doesn't actually talk to the car - it talks to Tesla. This means that you can successfully log in without a communication link to the car. Right after VT logs in, it collects some basic data from the car (this happens while on the login screen). It tries repeatedly to get this information which will keep the spinner going. Usually it gets this information very quickly. When it has to wake the car first, it can take longer - about a minute. Eventually this code will give up if it can't speak to the car. What I found is that VT does not display an error dialog when this happens. it just silently fails and sits in the Login tab. The log should show this error, but that doesn't help the user. I'll fix this by displaying a message to the user if this occurs. Given your experience, I think the message will ask users to try the iPhone/Android app.

Joe

Fits the symptoms. What happens if comms fails when VT is running? My VT logs suddenly stop on the 3rd Jan, so at least I know when the comms failure started. But I think that the comms failure stopped VT displaying properly. I could select it via the Dock, but it didn't display. The only way out was to kill it.

Rob.

Fits the symptoms. What happens if comms fails when VT is running? My VT logs suddenly stop on the 3rd Jan, so at least I know when the comms failure started. But I think that the comms failure stopped VT displaying properly. I could select it via the Dock, but it didn't display. The only way out was to kill it.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

A communication failure can happen at any time since you might drive out of a cellular coverage area and then back in later. VT should tolerate this during normal operation. In fact user musterion will tell you that it happens to him on a daily basis because of spotty coverage on his commute route.

If you (or anyone) can send me a log showing a hang resulting from temporary lost communication, that would help me isolate a potential bug.

Thanks,
Joe

I've been seeing communication issues of VT per the past several days. I noticed them when VT sent me a "not plugged in" alert, even though the charger was plugged in.

Looking in the log around those times I see

Jan 03, 2014 4:15:53 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
INFO: Authorization problem, getting new token
Jan 03, 2014 4:18:09 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
WARNING: Snapshot refresh failed!
Jan 03, 2014 4:20:11 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
Jan 03, 2014 4:22:11 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
Jan 03, 2014 4:24:13 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
Jan 03, 2014 4:26:13 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect publishStats
Jan 03, 2014 4:45:06 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Jan 03, 2014 4:47:16 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Snapshot GET failed: java.io.IOException: Error while reading from GET: [404] Not Found
unable to resolve vehicle

That was the case just now as well. Before, quitting and relaunching VT would fix the issue. I tried that right now, and I'm getting these repeatedly:

Jan 05, 2014 6:42:39 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 20 requests in 60 seconds - Portal
Jan 05, 2014 6:42:43 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit

I tried to connect with the iPhone app and after "waking the car" it connected fine. Right after the iPhone connected the VT error messages stopped. I'm getting graph data, but no further log entries.

I can send you my log files via email if you need to see more details.

I'll try to revert to .25.01 or earlier to see if that helps. I'd like to have my car warm tomorrow morning ;-)

--- Updated:
I see that the URLs have been botched by pasting the lines into TMC. The "portal" entries above are

-portal.vn.teslamotors.com/vehicles/8003/command/gui_settings
-portal.vn.teslamotors.com/vehicles/8003/command/vehicle_state
-portal.vn.teslamotors.com/vehicles/8003/command/wake_up
-portal.vn.teslamotors.com/vehicles/8003/command/vehicle_state

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I've been playing with VT a little more, and now realize that it doesn't log every interaction, just the initial data and then warnings and errors, correct?

I don't have the log files right around the times when I for the "not plugged in" alerts, since I checked VT, saw the errors and quit and relaunched without saving the log file first. Of course, it gets overwritten - and I didn't save it from Time Machine right away. Next time I see it I will save the logs. But just now, checking a couple of trips, scheduler and other tabs I went back to the overview tab, and the charge cable was not drawn. Refreshing the view made it come back. Just checked the charge tab a couple of times while I'm writing this. One time Pilot current was 0, the next time 40A. It seems like VT is somehow losing track of that part of the data, or getting incorrect info from Tesla. I suspect it has to do with sleep mode?

Looking in the current log, I see "WARNING: Snapshot refresh failed!" once about every 10 minutes. Is that related to the issues I'm seeing?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered. been looking through thread and documentation. my trips are not showing up. i have tried leaving visibletesla open and tried with it closed. i am on a mac with 10.9.1 and using visible tesla 0.25.02.
thanks for the help

Morning Joe,
Had a bit of an odd behavior this morning after leaving VT running on my work computer over the weekend. Everything seems OK until this morning when I arrived at work.

Arrived at 7:49, parked and immediately plugged in.
Noticed 8:06 that the graph had not updated.
Clicked on the charge tab, VT updated values.
Went back to graph tab and one update was recorded.
Received email notice that car had been plugged in.
Still no graph updates.
8:13 clicked again on charge tab. Values updated.
Got another data point on graph.
Then the graph started updating regularly.

Here is a snippet from the end of the log file.

Jan 06, 2014 7:49:00 AM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're moving, so probe again really soon
Jan 06, 2014 7:49:34 AM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're not moving, charging, or awake, so give the car a chance to sleep
Jan 06, 2014 7:54:35 AM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're giving the car a chance to sleep
Jan 06, 2014 8:19:40 AM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
Jan 06, 2014 8:23:53 AM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Snapshot GET failed: java.io.IOException: Error while reading from GET: [404] Not Found
unable to resolve vehicle

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Joe,
Another quick question. Does VT do any format checking of the email notification address? I'm trying to set it up to text me. If I use the [email protected] construct I don't receive anything when I do a test delivery. When I use this address from gmail.com it works. vtext.com does not work at all. I do get the successful message sent window.

Joe -
I came across an odd bug today -- on 0.25.02.

I quit VT this morning -- had to take the car in service (needed an alignment), so Tesla turned off mobile access from the car.

After I picked the car up, I restarted VT and it showed 0 miles on the odometer, 0% battery and 0 miles remaining (all 3). After a refresh didn't do anything, I went out to the car and noticed mobile access was still turned off -- so I flipped it back on. Came back to the computer, and VT had refreshed -- but everything was showing in metric. I quit VT and reloaded it, and it was back to miles...

This also leads to an enhancement request -- is there a way to display an error message to the user stating that VT cannot communicate with the car and to ensure that mobile access is enabled and that the car is in 3G or Wifi range?

I've played with this for a couple of weeks, since I got my car. Thanks for your hard work and responsiveness. I have a couple of probably simple questions:

In the graphs tab - is there any way to 'zoom in' on a short time period - it always seems to show graphs for 24 hours, so looking at a short trip is impossible - its just a tiny blip on the screen.

I first downloaded 24.0 (I think) and I was able to set up a notification if the car was not plugged in at a certain time - very useful to check that we remembered to plug in for later charging. In 25.0+ I cannot find this choice - there is a notification for 'Disconnected' etc. - but the car was not disconnected, it was never connected since my last trip - is there any way to still have that notification?

Thanks again

A few hitches that I've had...
Some trips are not being picked up at all. I'm using "Sleep" mode on VT 25.02. Yesterday I had a 14+ mile trip that didn't show up on VT as a saved trip except for the last 0.6 miles of the drive! And the car had actually been awake/in use for a total of about 45 minutes due to getting stuck in the snow on my driveway!

also, I installed VT on my work computer, after updating to the latest Java. Install seems to have worked fine and the Jar program opens right up to the log-in tab. But when I enter my login information, which I've checked and rechecked multiple times for accuracy of the login email and password, I continually get the message that it can't login and to use my email and to double check my password. any ideas why it wouldn't work on that machine (it is running XP (God help us)).