Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Total guess but perhaps higher speeds = likely on freeway = likely not changing direction or route quickly. While going slow = likely on side streets = high chance of changing direction / turning / etc. :smile:

Good point. In those areas with higher than normal sampling rates, I was changing directions allot more (ex: U-turn in a parking lot and winding my way through a neighborhood).

Thanks

85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech + Folding Mirrors | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Production 11/22, Delivered 11/29 || Xpel Ultimate | 30/30/15% Precision 30 Tint

I used the trip tracking functionality for the first time this weekend. Really like it. Thanks!

One request... Is there any way to group all trips for a single (or multiple) days()? I let it track us while we ran errands today. Each stop (and we had 3) resulted in a "trip" -- so 4 total trips... Would be nice to be able to combine and see them all...

...Is there any way to group all trips for a single (or multiple) days()?

Not yet. It would be relatively easy within the existing UI to allow you to map all trips shown in the drop down list as a single trip. For example, if you selected a single day in the calendar, the drop down list would show all trips for that day. I could add a "Map All" button that treats all trips in the drop down as a single trip and displays it. The same would hold if you selected multiple days. It would be harder to allow the selection of a subset of trips, but I'll think about how that might be achieved.

Not yet. It would be relatively easy within the existing UI to allow you to map all trips shown in the drop down list as a single trip. For example, if you selected a single day in the calendar, the drop down list would show all trips for that day. I could add a "Map All" button that treats all trips in the drop down as a single trip and displays it. The same would hold if you selected multiple days. It would be harder to allow the selection of a subset of trips, but I'll think about how that might be achieved.

A checkbox list comes to mind. Select all you want included and then display.

Is it possible to adjust the program so that we can turn on the front or rear defrosters or maybe even the seat warmers? I believe the program shows the current state of these but does not allow clicking them to turn on or off.

No known API to do that. I asked the same a couple of weeks ago. Write to [email protected] to request that feature in the iPhone and/or Android app. That will make it discoverable for the developers of other software including VT.

No known API to do that. I asked the same a couple of weeks ago. Write to [email protected] to request that feature in the iPhone and/or Android app. That will make it discoverable for the developers of other software including VT.

The seat warmers should come on now that they are part of the driver profile. Is that not the case?
If Tesla would make the rear/front defrost setting part of the driver profiles then just remotely turning on the HVAC should get you what you need. You could even make a special driver profile for defrosting and just remember to set it before you leave the car.

The seat warmers should come on now that they are part of the driver profile. Is that not the case?
If Tesla would make the rear/front defrost setting part of the driver profiles then just remotely turning on the HVAC should get you what you need. You could even make a special driver profile for defrosting and just remember to set it before you leave the car.

No, unfortunately the car has to be turned on before the seats and rear defroster will warm and you cannot do that from the app. The Sub Zero package also includes a warming grid under the wiper blades as well as rear seat heaters. Again, the car must be on first to get these features to heat up.

...Overall I am pleased with the logging characteristics. Out of curiosity, is what I observed typical? Any idea why the higher than specified sampling rate when driving at slow speeds? Just curious.

There are a couple of heuristics used to decide how frequently to sample and which samples to display in trips. For example, if you are turning, the app will keep more data than otherwise so it can track your progress more accurately rather than make it appear that you cut a corner. In that case it will ignore the minimums on time and distance. The gaps can be caused by any number of things including driving through an area of bad cellular coverage.

This behavior will be changing a bit in the next version.

I would like to be using the app regularly, but I have frequent crashes in the app when I'm doing assorted things. For example, I recently tried to set up a schedule so that the app would sleep at night, and almost every time I tried to update one of the scheduler entries, the app crashed before I could complete it (typically, when I clicked on a drop-down, if I'm remembering correctly). It feels like it may be a graphics-related issue.

Additionally, I get a new crash file (a log and an mdmp file) every time I close the app. My current JRE version Version 7 Update 45. I'm running the app on a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and UAC is disabled. I'm connecting to the server using RDP. The first few lines of the crash log are always the same:

Code:
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x61b8016d, pid=8868, tid=7904
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  [glass.dll+0x1016d]
#
# Core dump written. Default location: C:\VisibleTesla 0.24.00\hs_err_pid8868.mdmp
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

---------------  T H R E A D  ---------------

Current thread (0x04da7800):  JavaThread "JavaFX Application Thread" [_thread_in_native, id=7904, stack(0x05420000,0x05470000)]

Do you have any ideas?

Hi dlmorgan999,

I got your PM and haven't been able to recreate this in other versions of Windows running in VMware. I don't have a copy of Windows Server to test with and I've also never tested via RDP. As you can see, this is a crash in the Java VM rather than the app itself. My wild guess is that it is related to RDP, the JavaFX graphics library, and it's native implementation.

The place where I have seen graphics related oddities is in a virtualized Windows environment (VMware) with graphics acceleration enabled.

As a next step I would suggest running the app in Windows Server locally (no RDP) to see if it works. That would at least isolate the problem a bit.

If there are any other Windows users out there who have run in a similar configuration, please chime in.

Joe

Hi dlmorgan999,

I got your PM and haven't been able to recreate this in other versions of Windows running in VMware. I don't have a copy of Windows Server to test with and I've also never tested via RDP. As you can see, this is a crash in the Java VM rather than the app itself. My wild guess is that it is related to RDP, the JavaFX graphics library, and it's native implementation.

The place where I have seen graphics related oddities is in a virtualized Windows environment (VMware) with graphics acceleration enabled.

As a next step I would suggest running the app in Windows Server locally (no RDP) to see if it works. That would at least isolate the problem a bit.

If there are any other Windows users out there who have run in a similar configuration, please chime in.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I'm more than happy to do any testing - I just have very little experience with Java, so I wasn't sure where to start. I will try running this locally and let you know how things go. I may also do some Google searching on Java / RDP issues.

I have a question regarding zooming in the graphs tab: The documentation says:

• Zooming: If you wish to change the time-span that is displayed (zoom in on a small range of time or zoom out to a large range of time) spin the scroll-wheel on your mouse up or down. To zoom in or out on the value (y) axis, press CTRL while scrolling. To zoom both axes simultaneously, press SHIFT while scrolling. When zooming, the app does so relative to the current mouse location. That is, the chart will seem to expand around the point under the mouse.

Horizontal (time axis) zooming works fine with the scroll wheel.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]On the Mac, <control>scrolling zooms the entire screen, and it doesn't really help with [/FONT]the[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] vertical resolution. <shift> scrolling doesn't do anything for me.[/FONT]

Any input?

Thanks!

Hi dlmorgan999,

Joe

I keep VT running on a win2k8 R2 server and access via RDP with no issues. I'd lean toward the virtualized environment as the source of the problem.

I keep VT running on a win2k8 R2 server and access via RDP with no issues. I'd lean toward the virtualized environment as the source of the problem.

Thanks for the feedback steve841.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question regarding zooming in the graphs tab: The documentation says:

• Zooming: If you wish to change the time-span that is displayed (zoom in on a small range of time or zoom out to a large range of time) spin the scroll-wheel on your mouse up or down. To zoom in or out on the value (y) axis, press CTRL while scrolling. To zoom both axes simultaneously, press SHIFT while scrolling. When zooming, the app does so relative to the current mouse location. That is, the chart will seem to expand around the point under the mouse.

Horizontal (time axis) zooming works fine with the scroll wheel.

On the Mac, <control>scrolling zooms the entire screen, and it doesn't really help with the vertical resolution. <shift> scrolling doesn't do anything for me.

Any input?

Thanks!

Hi Klaus,

In System Preferences there is a checkbox labeled "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom:". Do you have that checked? If so, the system may be intercepting these gestures.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Folks,

Just a quick update on a couple of things that are in the works:
  • I am changing the default setting for "Collect Location Data" to true. Having it set to false is annoying because it renders the Trips tab ineffective for no apparent reason.
  • I am updating the Trips tab so that you don't have to quit and relaunch the app to view trips that were taken since the app started. It will allow you to select all "complete" trips. A trip that is still in progress won't show up until after the trip has ended and the car has remained stationary for a while.
  • I am updating the Trips tab so that you can select multiple trips at once.
    • A typical use case is that you start a trip, stop for lunch, then continue the trip. This will show up as two trips. In the future you will be able to select them both and show them on the same map.
    • It will still display each segment with distinct stop and start points (i.e. each trip will begin with a green marker and and with a black one.). No line will be drawn between the position of the car at the end of one trip and the beginning of the next. This works fine in the scenario given above and also if you select truly disjoint trips.
  • I am starting on a Notify tab. This has been requested multiple times.
    • It will allow you to request notifications when certain types of events occur. For example, if your SOC drops below a certain level or rises above a certain level. The set of notifications will be limited (probably 5 choices to begin with).
    • Version 1 of this feature will be for testing only. It will not actually send any notifications. It will simply display them in the app. Once I get the underlying mechanism working, I will add a mechanism to send the notifications via email.
    • With all wireless carriers I know of in the US, you can enter an email address that corresponds to your cell phone's phone number. This will allow you to receive notifications as text messages or emails.
    • The email will be sent via a server-side mail sending service (I'm looking at mailgun right now), so I avoid the problem of needing to store your email credentials. The messages will come from an address that will be something like [email protected]
Joe