Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video Demo: Tesla Vision Car Lacking Side Warning Tones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2023 Tesla-Vision car displays distances of objects from the side of the car accurately, but does not sound any warning tones when things are close (for example, five inches close). Here's what happens for me:

Do others have the same experience? If not, what do you think accounts for the difference?

This seems like an easy fix: The car knows something is close and displays that on the screen, but there are no warning tones.

Reactions: kt2062
Our 2023 Tesla-Vision car displays distances of objects from the side of the car accurately, but does not sound any warning tones when things are close (for example, five inches close). Here's what happens for me:

Do others have the same experience? If not, what do you think accounts for the difference?

This seems like an easy fix: The car knows something is close and displays that on the screen, but there are no warning tones.
I noticed in the video the tones on the ultrasonic beep based on corner sensors (they turned red). It seems the Vision doesn't really trigger the corner when you back through, so that may be why it didn't sound any tones.

Reactions: kt2062
At 3:45 it seems you've already entered the garage before the sonar car even starts beeping so while the tones may be reassuring confirmation, they might not be directly useful anyway.

Your video demonstrates a really great comparison between the systems however, and it's evident from the graphics that Tesla is doing a vastly more sophisticated environment map with the vision system such that it is conceivably capable of warning you of sideswipe risks as you swerve - something no sonar system offers as far as I know. I expect that software updates will arrive soon to make better use of this knowledge.

I bought enhanced auto pilot for the auto park. Since then I have hit the right rear of my tesla on my carport while backing into it. I regret buying my model Y. Tesla Vision appears to be yet another unfilled promise.
Sorry about the impact. There is an almost never ending list of unfulfilled Tesla promises or stretching the truth. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

If I had bought a 2023 with HW4 and no USS, what you described is exactly what would have happened to my wife, repeatedly. To be incredibly generous, TV is a work in progress. Once again Tesla removed a feature without an adequate replacement available. They did this when they removed radar from the 2021 Y & 3's and foisted TV on us. I got shafted during that rollout. I wasn't going to get caught again when I heard they were removing USS.

Hopefully, you didn't hit your Y too bad. It didn't have to be this way. I would be more tolerant of Tesla if what they changed didn't have the potential to damage cars or people getting hurt.

Reactions: afadeev
Good to know and sorry. Thanks for the warning.
Actually I don't know if it was your idea, but I saw your video on using duct tape to help guide backing into the garage. How did you measure where to put the tape? The overall width of the MY with mirrors is stated as 83.8 inches, without mirrors is 75.6. My carport entrance is 88.8 inches width. Doesn't give me much room so I have to be precise.

Actually I don't know if it was your idea, but I saw your video on using duct tape to help guide backing into the garage. How did you measure where to put the tape? The overall width of the MY with mirrors is stated as 83.8 inches, without mirrors is 75.6. My carport entrance is 88.8 inches width. Doesn't give me much room so I have to be precise.
Trial and error. Here's how I did it: I backed in, noting about where the backup lines were, and then put down some masking tape. I then backed in again, and repositioned the tape as necessary. When I had it right, I used duct tape.

I've since extended the tape to the outside, and because the weather loosened it, painted a line for one of the cars.

Lines.jpg

Trial and error. Here's how I did it: I backed in, noting about where the backup lines were, and then put down some masking tape. I then backed in again, and repositioned the tape as necessary. When I had it right, I used duct tape.

I've since extended the tape to the outside, and because the weather loosened it, painted a line for one of the cars.

View attachment 964534
When you painted the line how did you get it so straight? What kind of paint did you use?