Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver BC VIN .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the BC gov't site a while back, sent them the screen from the Tesla online order summary.

Thank you for your inquiry.

You are correct that the “Federal Air Conditioner Tax” will increase the total purchase price of the vehicle to more than $55,000. As a result, the applicable rate of provincial sales tax will be 8%.

The rate of PST you pay on a passenger vehicle that you purchased from a GST registrant (e.g. a motor vehicle dealer) depends on the purchase price of the vehicle:

Purchase Price Rate of PST

Less than $55,000 7%

$55,000—$55,999.99 8%

$56,000—$56,999.99 9%

$57,000—$124,999.99 10%

$125,000—$149,999.99 15%

$150,000 and over 20%

The purchase price is the total price a customer pays to purchase the vehicle before a deduction for a trade-in or down payment, and includes:

• Charges for financing, interest, customs and excise
  • Documentation charges
  • Service charges
  • Air conditioning fees and other environmental fees (e.g. tire levies)
  • Delivery or other transportation charges (including shipping and handling) incurred at or before the time that title to the vehicle passes to the purchaser (see Bulletin PST 302, Delivery Charges)
  • The value of any services or goods accepted by the seller on account of the purchase price
  • Charges for warranties, service contracts and maintenance agreements if the warranty, contract or agreement is mandatory (see Bulletin PST 303, Warranties, Service Contracts and Maintenance Agreements)
  • Amounts paid by third parties as partial or full consideration for the vehicle, such as rebate offers, coupons and other discounts, including cash-back offers, graduation recognitions or credit card rewards, but not manufacturers’ rebates or manufacturers’ coupons (see below)
  • Accessories, including truck campers that slide-on or mount onto pickup trucks (accessories are generally taxable at a rate of 7% PST)
  • Any other fees a customer pays to purchase the vehicle
In your scenario the purchase price consists of: $44,999 (Model 3) + $8,701 (Rear Wheel Drive ) + $1,280 (Delivery ) + $100 (Federal Air Conditioner Tax) = $55,080

The estimate you provided below charges 12% “sales tax” on $55,080 for a sum of $6,609.60. It appears that this sale tax percentage includes 7% PST and 5% GST.

However, this is incorrect as you must pay 8% PST as the purchase price of the vehicle is between $55,000—$55,999.99.

As a result, you will need to pay an additional $550.80 in PST (i.e. 1% of the total purchase price).

For additional information, please see Bulletin PST 116 - Motor Vehicle Dealers and Leasing Companies.

The estimate you provided below charges 12% “sales tax” on $55,080 for a sum of $6,609.60. It appears that this sale tax percentage includes 7% PST and 5% GST.

However, this is incorrect as you must pay 8% PST as the purchase price of the vehicle is between $55,000—$55,999.99.

As a result, you will need to pay an additional $550.80 in PST (i.e. 1% of the total purchase price).

It's clearly not just our little (forum's) secret. Bizzaro that T wouldn't update their software to charge the $550 with everyone bringing it to their attention. I'd be surprised if T will lower their price for just BC (it needs to drop by $80.01), but stranger things have happened to me during this buying experience.

Thanks hiener. That does seem quite clear.

Nonetheless, I have printed my MVPA Final Price Sheet (!) and will be bringing that with me on Friday - if they take it, great! If not, then I will cancel my order.

Staying below the $55k threshold was a huge motivator for ordering the Black/Black/18" config. Maybe I'll look at a Blue/White config now.. if I stick with Tesla at all.

Shame I ordered these TuxMats in advance.

The MVPA is the agreement. The terms on the website will say something like...subject to local taxes, etc. As long as the $ amounts on the MVPA don't change at delivery, we're golden. If we complain to Tesla, it's a case of be careful what you wish for (re: inconsistencies). Someone might wake up and "fix" both the website and the software generating the MVPA, and it may not go in our favour! I don't think we've heard anyone actually paying the 13%, hence my personal approach to letting sleeping dogs lie.

It's clearly not just our little (forum's) secret. Bizzaro that T wouldn't update their software to charge the $550 with everyone bringing it to their attention. I'd be surprised if T will lower their price for just BC (it needs to drop by $80.01), but stranger things have happened to me during this buying experience.

According to the above posts, seems like your little secret had been revealed long time ago. ;) Though, I'd still like to hear directly from the one that already got the delivery that how much tax they paid. Especially from the above three (@GerroWong, @cadetsea, @sandals99 ) who has 12% written in their MVPA.

Thanks hiener. That does seem quite clear.

Nonetheless, I have printed my MVPA Final Price Sheet (!) and will be bringing that with me on Friday - if they take it, great! If not, then I will cancel my order.

Staying below the $55k threshold was a huge motivator for ordering the Black/Black/18" config. Maybe I'll look at a Blue/White config now.. if I stick with Tesla at all.

Shame I ordered these TuxMats in advance.

What time is your pick up on Friday, i'm at 11.30am. I've got the MVPA printed off to0 and i just phoned the Tesla 1-888 number and the person on the line confirmed that it should be what is written in the MVPA. I think another forum member Ride365 said he picked his up recently and it was 12%. fingers crossed, already ordered the floor mats, had the wall charger installed, ordered the wheel caps.......

Thanks GerroWong. I am expecting delivery this Friday and am in the exact same situation. Absolutely ridiculous that we are shafted on USB cables, the NEMA 14-50 adapter, and now the purchase price may have increased $550 from when I put my deposit down.

I am preparing a bank draft for $48,489.60, not the website's $49,040.40, and if they make a stink about it then I will simply cancel my order. I'm in no hurry, there's still $5M+ left in the BC EV fund, and the W 4th dealership has still failed to apply my referral code to my order so I probably won't get supercharging with this delivery despite multiple calls and e-mails about it.

I was so, so happy with my test drive in early May, but this delivery process has been horrendous. I couldn't in good conscience recommend any of my friends or family to go through what I've experienced.

I will probably cancel it too. I am enjoying my convertible for the summer and don't need a Tesla to be honest.

Wow where is this entitlement coming from. It's not Tesla's fault that our government taxes us the way they do. The referral program is not applicable for BC residence anyways, so if you get it, great, if you don't, they clearly said it's not applicable to us.

You think the CEV funds will last because it's at 5M? Ha! Unless they renew it again that might be it for the fiscal year. Sorry to say this, but I do hope you decide to cancel because I have a friend waiting for his with the same configuration. He'll be happy to take it and appreciate it more. Thanks.

Wow where is this entitlement coming from. It's not Tesla's fault that our government taxes us the way they do. The referral program is not applicable for BC residence anyways, so if you get it, great, if you don't, they clearly said it's not applicable to us.

You think the CEV funds will last because it's at 5M? Ha! Unless they renew it again that might be it for the fiscal year. Sorry to say this, but I do hope you decide to cancel because I have a friend waiting for his with the same configuration. He'll be happy to take it and appreciate it more. Thanks.

It's not Tesla fault and it's also the buyer's decision where they spend their money. Don't like? Don't buy. Won't budge? Lose a sale. The world moves on.

If I'm entitled for expecting my Final Price Sheet to be accurate, then call me entitled. And yes, I do think CEV funds will last:

The $10-million CEV for B.C. top-up was the first instalment of funds from $42 million allocated for the program in the 2019 provincial budget. The province’s CleanBC plan has a contingency fund of $37.3 million that could be accessed if the CEV for B.C. funding runs dry this fiscal year, the ministry said.

The federal incentive will be drawn from a pool of $300 million over three years, according to Transport Canada. Multiple incentives brought May spike to B.C. electric vehicle sales

I think the most annoying part about the Tesla community is that certain people cannot handle any criticism whatsoever. These are not no-frills offerings or spartan cars from low-cost carriers. Even the cheapest Tesla costs over a year's salary for the average person in the Lower Mainland. If you want to charge a premium price, why would you be surprised when people complain at less-than-premium service and quality?

Reactions: samk579
If I'm entitled for expecting my Final Price Sheet to be accurate, then call me entitled. And yes, I do think CEV funds will last:

I think the most annoying part about the Tesla community is that certain people cannot handle any criticism whatsoever. These are not no-frills offerings or spartan cars from low-cost carriers. Even the cheapest Tesla costs over a year's salary for the average person in the Lower Mainland. If you want to charge a premium price, why would you be surprised when people complain at less-than-premium service and quality?

Having a final price is fair. Cheapest Tesla is the cheapest for a reason, but here you are expecting they give you everything. Floormats, USB cables, 14-50 adapter, referral credits and maybe premium sound too? As for taxes they are supposed to charge you 13% as spelled out by the BC govt. If Tesla is working with people on making that 12% then all power to them.

If CEV tops up, awesome and if you can wait maybe they will make cars cheaper and include the things you are looking for then. It's happened to me, if I were to configure today it would've saved me a few thousand plus get FSD.

I criticize Tesla myself on certain things, and if you are so bothered now to cancel then you're going to have an awful experience with service.

Thanks GerroWong. I am expecting delivery this Friday and am in the exact same situation. Absolutely ridiculous that we are shafted on USB cables, the NEMA 14-50 adapter, and now the purchase price may have increased $550 from when I put my deposit down.

I am preparing a bank draft for $48,489.60, not the website's $49,040.40, and if they make a stink about it then I will simply cancel my order. I'm in no hurry, there's still $5M+ left in the BC EV fund, and the W 4th dealership has still failed to apply my referral code to my order so I probably won't get supercharging with this delivery despite multiple calls and e-mails about it.

I was so, so happy with my test drive in early May, but this delivery process has been horrendous. I couldn't in good conscience recommend any of my friends or family to go through what I've experienced.

Welcome to my world. You guys are getting it good compared to what they did to me.

Reactions: phtp
Sounds like you have a good story to share?;)

The TL;DR version:

I'm in Vancouver.

• Was sent to pick-up location on the wrong day
  • Was given the incorrect total for a bank draft
  • Picked up SR+ 3/30 after having been convinced it would be well worth paying the difference between it and the SR due to the SR having manual seats, mirrors, cloth seats, no centre console or USB, 32km less range, no heated seats, no fog lights, no live traffic data or sat maps.(All lies apart from the last point, which the SR+ has never had anyway).
  • Car was not inspected
  • Car was dirty (did not see it until way after paying and completing insurance due to the zoo it was that day)
  • Also, after quadruple and triple checking if they would ever be eligible for the upcoming federal rebate I was told: absolutely not
  • Paid >~$59,300 which included paying $4000 for AP, after provincial rebate. Bumped into luxury tax of 14% for basic black/black SR+
  • Days later they integrated AP and lowered the price such that there would be no luxury tax
  • Then they started releasing the SR as the SR+, the SR having never existed, for a much lower price

• They didn't apply referral until after maybe 20 emails/calls, then I received 1500km. A couple of days after it was changed to 7500km.
(They have yet to honour their statement that owners lied to about the SR would be able to 'downgrade' to it)
30 days after purchase they suddenly release a compliance car, priced under the federal cutoff

The SR/SR+ scam worked out to costing me just under $5000. That includes the price difference and tax difference.

The federal rebate 30 days after I bought my car cost me about $7000.

Hope that makes some of you feel less ripped off by the every-lying and dishonourable Tesla.

They fail to respond to 90% of communication attempts, and when they do it's with misinformation, or passing-the-buck.

The car is amazing. It really is. But I cancelled my order for PY and have to think long and hard about dealing with Tesla again. I still recommend the Model 3 SR+ as it's the safest car, doesn't pollute, drives well etc., but if there was a different company with a superior product I'd go to them instead. At this time I'm considering the Rivian R1S, since the 3 was a temporary car for me. I'm glad I got to see how Tesla really is.

Of note, I'm a shareholder, and Tesla evangelist since 2006. This was a rough knock to say the least.

Anyway, there's the short version of my story.

The TL;DR version:

I'm in Vancouver.

• Picked up SR+ 3/30 after having been convinced it would be well worth paying the difference between it and the SR due to the SR having manual seats, mirrors, cloth seats, no centre console or USB, 32km less range, no heated seats, no fog lights, no live traffic data or sat maps.(All lies apart from the last point, which the SR+ has never had anyway).
  • Car was not inspected
  • Car was dirty (did not see it until way after paying and completing insurance due to the zoo it was that day)
  • Also, after quadruple and triple checking if they would ever be eligible for the upcoming federal rebate I was told: absolutely not
  • Paid >~$59,300 which included paying $4000 for AP, after provincial rebate. Bumped into luxury tax of 14% for basic black/black SR+
  • Days later they integrated AP and lowered the price such that there would be no luxury tax
  • Then they started releasing the SR as the SR+, the SR having never existed, for a much lower price

• They didn't apply referral until after maybe 20 emails/calls, then I received 1500km. A couple of days after it was changed to 7500km.
(They have yet to honour their statement that owners lied to about the SR would be able to 'downgrade' to it)
30 days after purchase they suddenly release a compliance car, priced under the federal cutoff

The SR/SR+ scam worked out to costing me just under $5000. That includes the price difference and tax difference.

Hope that makes some of you feel less ripped off by the every-lying and dishonourable Tesla.

They fail to respond to 90% of communication attempts, and when they do it's with misinformation, or passing-the-buck.

The car is amazing. It really is. But I cancelled my order for PY and have to think long and hard about dealing with Tesla again. I still recommend the Model 3 SR+ as it's the safest car, doesn't pollute, drives well etc., but if there was a different company with a superior product I'd go to them instead. At this time I'm considering the Rivian R1S, since the 3 was a temporary car for me. I'm glad I got to see how Tesla really is.

Of note, I'm a shareholder, and Tesla evangelist since 2006. This was a rough knock to say the least.

It's sad to hear that's still the case today. Many have gone through what you went through last year. End of the day many of my friends bought the car for the car, not for the service. I'm in same boat of not buying the Y right away, because of all the price changes to hw and sw I've experienced. But will eventually get it as I think it would be the best balance of things I'm looking for.

Rivian is going to be interesting, and won't be cheap either. While they have a prototype roaming around, I suspect they might run into the same challenges as Tesla with mass production.

Reactions: Legen---dary
The TL;DR version:

I'm in Vancouver.

• Car was not inspected

Although expect some bad story, didn’t think it was that bad. Anyway, hope you feel better now. In the end, we all just want a good car and better yet, you don’t have to deal with them any more (as minimal maintenance), right?

Reactions: Legen---dary
Just got my first Delivery Advisor email from Tesla Toronto for my Vancouver delivery. They are drawing on other Tesla employees in Canada to help with the crush in Vancouver, which will hopefully improve service (not counting on it, though!).

Consistently my emails from Tesla have been lagging what I have found out from the forum or my account. For example, phone support told me my car arrives in Vancouver tomorrow, and my delivery date is supposedly this Friday (31st) while the email said 'your Tesla will soon be finishing with production' and a delivery date will appear in your account. But I'm sure these are just generic emails based on estimated timeframes.

I'm taking as laid back an attitude as I can. This forum has moderated my expectations a lot, so I'm just going to go with the flow until I'm actually driving my car home, whenever that might be...

According to the above posts, seems like your little secret had been revealed long time ago. ;) Though, I'd still like to hear directly from the one that already got the delivery that how much tax they paid. Especially from the above three (@GerroWong, @cadetsea, @sandals99 ) who has 12% written in their MVPA.

There is a new MVPA posted with the 13% tax on my SR+ black/black, no add-on, no finance, etc... Pickup appointment is later but pretty sure it will be 13%

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt