Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode! (confirmed by Elon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But who cares about all of this, version 6 will let us name our car and show us our calendars! What about those features we've actually been asking for? Nah, you don't need those.

I can't imagine what genius is behind these additions. Has anyone ever seen this as a suggestion for inclusion anywhere?

Curious where these feature requests came from - not unlike silly social media integration in a car (my demographic must be showing now). Maybe we will get the opportunity to take pictures of our meals next, or automatic selfies.

I can't imagine what genius is behind these additions. Has anyone ever seen this as a suggestion for inclusion anywhere?

Naming the car is an obvious requirement for use in the app once people have more than one Tesla vehicle - to select which one they are using.

Calendar in the car is all about getting nav destinations off other devices and into the car - something that has definitely been asked for. You can of course argue about whether calendar is the best route for achieving that.

Naming the car is an obvious requirement for use in the app once people have more than one Tesla vehicle - to select which one they are using.

Calendar in the car is all about getting nav destinations off other devices and into the car - something that has definitely been asked for. You can of course argue about whether calendar is the best route for achieving that.
Considering the car has a SIM card, texting it to the car would probably be the best route if you just wanted a way to get a destination from your phone to the car (most phones already include the function to send an address from the map to a text message, all you need to do is add the car to your address book and tell the car what to do with the received SMS). The calendar is about more than that, it's about reading your existing meeting plans, and knowing your destination without you actively having to tell it. As long as your calendar knows where your meeting is, your car will too. It's a really good idea. I just hope they haven't been ignoring all the other really great ideas out there too.

Yes! The individual tire pressure readouts are also something that the Roadster had and the Model S doesn't! Agree with you 100%!
Also, great to see another 'oldtimer' still on TMC (Join Date: Dec 2008)
I absolutely agree. Valet mode, and individual tire pressure readouts are long overdue, while they play with things that matter very little.
PS-If you want to get Elon to add your pet project, then put it in an ad!
Two Tesla Owners Proposed Ideas to Elon Musk in Local Paper — and He Listened

I absolutely agree. Valet mode, and individual tire pressure readouts are long overdue, while they play with things that matter very little.

+1 for the valet mode and tire pressure read outs. Our 2007 Acura already had the tire pressure readings. Model S is already equipped with TPMS. would be much more convenient to have that data displayed.

Our 2007 Acura already had the tire pressure readings.
My cheap Renault from 2003 also.
It was one fine day when they finally stopped bugging me when I sold the car.
It is one thing to have them, it is entirely different thing them being useful and correct.
Valet mode on the other hand ... I don't see wherein hides the reason there ain't one?

Yes! The individual tire pressure readouts are also something that the Roadster had and the Model S doesn't!

I believe for the Model S to provide individual tire pressure readings on the display that will require a hardware change to the car, not different TPMS sensors in the wheels. So don't assume that when that feature does arrive it will also appear on Model S cars already on the road.

I believe for the Model S to provide individual tire pressure readings on the display that will require a hardware change to the car, not different TPMS sensors in the wheels. So don't assume that when that feature does arrive it will also appear on Model S cars already on the road.
I think you are saying that the individual pressure readouts are not possible. The diagnostic screen, however, does list individual pressures. These are just 4 pressure readouts, not associated with a particular tire, since the car only has one receiver. I think this would be better than nothing to have as user viewable. Before any trip over 100 miles, I check my tire pressure manually. It would be nice to see 4 tire pressures to know if any tire is low compared to the others. You can also determine which tire is which in the display by letting air out or inflating a tire. Those identified tires can then be associated with the wheel position and properly displayed on the screen.

Right, the car has only one receiver. That has always disappointed me in such a pricey car. My Porsche shows each tire pressure matched to the tire.

So I guess Tesla decided that it would be confusing to show four pressures without being able to tie a specific pressure to a specific tire, better to just display if a tire was too low.

Right, the car has only one receiver. That has always disappointed me in such a pricey car. My Porsche shows each tire pressure matched to the tire.
So I guess Tesla decided that it would be confusing to show four pressures without being able to tie a specific pressure to a specific tire, better to just display if a tire was too low.
Yes, that is a nice feature of Porsche (and most high end German manufacturers). I have that on my Panamera S Hybrid:
TPMS Display.jpg

I would still like to have pressures displayed, even though they are not synchronized with the tires. My wife Lexus RX 450h does it that way and once you know which tire corresponds to which TPMS position, it's OK:
Lexus RX 4540h TMS Display (1).jpg

On your Lexus, once you figured out which pressure number corresponded to which tire, did it maintain that correspondence over time? And if so, why didn't Lexus show that on the display?
Yes, it maintains it over time, but once the tires are rotated this changes, obviously. All TMP sensors have a unique ID and this can be used to synchronize their position on the vehicle. For example, this can be done in the Chevy Volt: Chevrolet Volt TPMS Reset Procedure

All TMP sensors have a unique ID and this can be used to synchronize their position on the vehicle.
And why would a car than need more than one receiver?

It does not. It is simply a design decision not to show those numbers to driver.
It would not help him at all to know exact PSI. Especially as those TMP sensors are VERY inaccurate and report wrong numbers.
You want to know exact numbers? Buy a tire pressure gauge that is at least half accurate.

And why would a car than need more than one receiver?

It does not. It is simply a design decision not to show those numbers to driver.
It would not help him at all to know exact PSI. Especially as those TMP sensors are VERY inaccurate and report wrong numbers.
You want to know exact numbers? Buy a tire pressure gauge that is at least half accurate.
A manufacturer, such as Porsche, uses 4 sensors, so that even when the tires are swapped, no relearning of the tire position is necessary.

As for TMPS inaccuracy, all the cars that I have had over the years that had TMPS readouts were always within 1-2 PSI of of actual PSI. As I mentioned previously, I always check my tire pressure before 100+ mile trips. I also use a tire pressure gauge attached to my filler that is pressure compensated and calibrated to read similarly to TPM sensors (ATEQ Absolute Pressure TPMS Filling Gauge). I've usually bought them from eBay, because they are cheaper there: Ateq Absolute Pressure TPMS Filling Gauge TIG12 | eBay