Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA/MD/DC Collective bargaining/group buy for paint armor/wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tinting everything except the windshield. I was told there was a $50 off tinting until Saturday (3/23). The price for tinting seemed really low to me, but I have never had any of my vehicles tinted. The $750 for wrapping is what pushed me to have it done even though the film is 3M instead of Xpel. I personally haven't done much research on the two products, but was leaning towards Xpel due to the "self-healing" properties. The manager told me he'd throw in putting film on the top of the back bumper for free since I have the rear jump seats and a 4 and 2 yr old.

Hey, tegibso, thanks for the lead -- I live about 10 minutes away from Sunshine Control in Sterling so called them up to ask on pricing this morning; spoke w/ Santino who was very cool. Since I had read on another forum that Driven Dynamics in Rockville was doing window tint on the Model S for $180 (3M Crystalline, all windows except windshield), I asked if he could match that price and he said he could. This works for me since it's about 45-60 minutes to Rockville for me. So please adjust your pricing accordingly, tegibso! Also, he could do just the install on the paint film as I had gotten a tip from another member to purchase my own 3M kit (got just the front bumper, side mirrors, and rear bumper ledge for $170 shipped) -- he said they could do $375 for the install. Sorry, I did not ask about Xpel with Sunshine (looks like they don't use that) or a full hood/fender wrap. Have you heard if they do good work? Also, tegibso, can you clarify what parts you are getting done for $750? Finally, I did not ask about group pricing but can do so tomorrow.

I also spoke with Santino, which is why I decided to use them. He told me they only deal with 3m products. I think he referred to it as "highway" package. It should be the full front end (full hood, fenders, grill). I asked for a quote to wrap the entire car (everything painted), but he said he'd have to measure the vehicle. My wife has a friend that had his windows tinted and recommended them. I'll have to ask about the price match for tinting. He said they normally charge $300, but had a $50 discount. I'll be taking mine in Monday and can let you know how everything looks. I'm just over in Hamilton so if you'd like to see the install when it's done that can be arranged as well.

Seems like there was a lot of miscommunication when I spoke with Santino. I know I said "Full Hood," but when I got there he told me that the 3m Scotchguard roll wasn't wide/long enough to do the entire hood with one piece. He had a roll of the VentureShield (now a 3m product) that could be used for the full hood. I think the problem was I was saying "Full front end/Full hood" meaning full fenders and full hood and he was meaning the width of the front end would be covered for 750. The price jumped from 750 to 1700 when I told him I wanted the entire front end covered (full hood, full fenders, full grill). The other problem was when I told him I wanted the Crystalline and he said that price would be $600 and the $250 that was quoted was for the "middle-of-the-line" 3M product. I walked out asking if he'd do it all for 2k, which he agreed, but I'm starting to think I should have (could have) asked for a better deal.

That sucks, sorry you had to waste your time. We did get a price of $1700 for full hood/fenders/bumper/mirrors using Xpel Ultimate from another installer around here. I also think Xpel is regarded as the best for the hood application. You probably aren't getting a bad deal for tinting included except they are not using the Xpel.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Dockt,

Originally I was set on the Xpel product. That is why I'm a little concerned in the price when it is the 3M products. I believe he quoted you 180 for the Crystalline and he told me it would be 550 this morning. You might want to confirm that price with him.

That sucks, sorry you had to waste your time. We did get a price of $1700 for full hood/fenders/bumper/mirrors using Xpel Ultimate from another installer around here. I also think Xpel is regarded as the best for the hood application. You probably aren't getting a bad deal for tinting included except they are not using the Xpel.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I am expecting my S85 by end of this month. Researching the web, I have the same impression as you that Xpel is a superior product, hence more expensive. Would you please share the name of your installer and your experience.