Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Service Center? Rockville, MD or Tyson's Corner, VA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @kevinf311,

Impressed I am at your success rate on voice calls to the Rockville SC. :)

DU -- no worries here. I had one replaced after 14 months of use because its noise was an indication of oscillation outside of acceptable specifications. It was replaced within a single visit that included several other work items (I've gone from being the owner who barely noticed whether the wheels were attached to being the owner who notices every molding). It's almost like having a Lego car. They snap pieces in and out. It's not like an ICE, where removing and replacing an entire engine is a hideous, expensive, likely multi-day affair.

In my case, now, I just need the SC to tell me whether the unit remains within acceptable spec. When the car is first delivered, it's totally quiet and you can't hear any DU operating noise. But over time, it's going to make a little noise, and that's OK. But when you're an owner with no genuine prior experience as a "car guy", you ask about everything, including the little noises. :)

Also, it looks like you have a 2015 S, so I think you are far far less likely to need a DU replacement than a '12 or a '13.

Curious about one thing: in your description, you write, "Matte Obeche (incl. floor)". What does the "(incl. floor)" part mean?

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: kevinf311
Hi, @kevinf311,

Impressed I am at your success rate on voice calls to the Rockville SC. :)

DU -- no worries here. I had one replaced after 14 months of use because its noise was an indication of oscillation outside of acceptable specifications. It was replaced within a single visit that included several other work items (I've gone from being the owner who barely noticed whether the wheels were attached to being the owner who notices every molding). It's almost like having a Lego car. They snap pieces in and out. It's not like an ICE, where removing and replacing an entire engine is a hideous, expensive, likely multi-day affair.

In my case, now, I just need the SC to tell me whether the unit remains within acceptable spec. When the car is first delivered, it's totally quiet and you can't hear any DU operating noise. But over time, it's going to make a little noise, and that's OK. But when you're an owner with no genuine prior experience as a "car guy", you ask about everything, including the little noises. :)

Also, it looks like you have a 2015 S, so I think you are far far less likely to need a DU replacement than a '12 or a '13.

Curious about one thing: in your description, you write, "Matte Obeche (incl. floor)". What does the "(incl. floor)" part mean?

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks for the additional information on drive unit replacements, makes me feel better. I'm hoping you're correct about me being less likely to need a replacement.

The "(incl. floor)" bit means that I have the Yacht Floor that for a while was an option (to replace the carpet) but I did not specifically choose the yacht floor option. I think that it had been rolled into the standard trim selections by the time I actually placed my order.

My order process was a little funky because I had been saving up for the car since it was announced (and cost $50k :rolleyes: ), was on track to hit my savings goal not long after the one price hike was to go into effect where folks could throw down the $5000 deposit to lock in the lower pricing until something came up and I wasn't going to be able to pull the trigger then. This left me with a Reservation from the old Configurator screen that when I finally *was* able to order the car ended up breaking everything on my MyTesla. Long story... still sorta long, I had to call the sales folks and we ended up reconstituting a reservation that I could confirm over the phone.

From the time I originally configured the car, I had wanted Lacewood trim and was not expecting the Yacht Floor option (just planned to stick with carpet). I ended up with probably the best of the "Tech Pkg" by having to punt until 2015 since I got the AP hardware, Power Liftgate, and Fog Lights for the low low price of $4250. I also ended up with the seats that weren't "next gen" but were also not the original low headrest seats.

When I picked up the car both the floor and the seats were surprises to me! :D

Reactions: CatB
Wow... always interesting when changes just roll into the production line whenever they're ready. :)

So... you have a Yacht Floor... and the *style* of that floor is done in Matte Obeche (rather than, say, Piano Black)?

Thanks....

Yep, that's it exactly! I suppose I could've been more precise (and concise for that matter) in my answer :p

Matte Obeche on the dash, matte Obeche on the floor.

For anyone who cares: Danielle of the Tyson's SC called me back about two hours after I left my voice mail.

She sounds very competent.

She had interesting and useful things to say about the various problems for which I seek attention.

She wrote up the issues and found a slot for me: November 7. So, 2.5 weeks... not bad, based on what I've been reading so far.

I *did* have to make one significant (at least to me) compromise: I have to accept an Enterprise rental car rather than a Model S loaner. Oh, the humanity! Otherwise, I'd've had to wait until Thanksgiving to get a slot.

I really really really really LOVE getting a Model S loaner rather than having to drive an ICE. But waiting for that S loaner would've tacked on another 2.5 weeks. So I caved. In a heartbeat. It wasn't pretty.

So far, Tyson's Corner SC is looking good to me.

Alan

I usually just email the Tysons center to discuss my issues/make an appointment. They're great with getting back to me.

Never been up to the Rockville one.

Actually I haven't been to the Tysons one in a while either *knocks on wood*